Lifting the restrictions on walking

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lifting the restrictions on walking

Postby dashandsaph » Mon 11 May, 2020 1:35 pm

The Victorian Premier's announcement on 11 May allows bushwalking and regional travel for that purpose from Wednesday 13 May, so day walks are now ok, along with day ski trips, and there appears to be a good start on enough snow. However, "camping" is not allowed, but it's not clear whether that only means at formal camping grounds or extends to anywhere that camping is allowed, ie. anywhere you can get a tent in. Any info on this point would be very much appreciated.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Lifting the restrictions on walking

Postby Drew » Mon 11 May, 2020 1:55 pm

Damn, I'd been getting excited about an alpine walk before winter sets in. Looks unlikely now. The DHS website has a list of Q and A's about the easing of restrictions and unfortunately it confirms no camping. (https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/travel-rest ... go-camping)

Seems discriminatory (and arbitrary) that people who own holiday houses can go away but the rest of us can't.

"No, travelling on a mini-break is not a reason to leave your home. You also cannot go away overnight camping or hiking. Travelling to your holiday house is still permitted if you own, or often reside at the specific premises."
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tastrax » Mon 11 May, 2020 1:56 pm

I would say its day trips, returning home each night at this stage.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/gradual-eas ... s-covid-19

Also pretty explicit re camping

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/travel-rest ... go-camping
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby dashandsaph » Mon 11 May, 2020 2:05 pm

Thanks guys for digging out the details. Oh well, day walks are better than nothing. Anyhow, it appears to be only until end of May, so Drew you might still be able to slide an alpine walk in, depending on how the season goes and your tolerance for early snow.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Mon 11 May, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks guys for digging out the details. Oh well, day walks are better than nothing. Anyhow, it appears to be only until end of May, so Drew you might still be able to slide an alpine walk in, depending on how the season goes and your tolerance for early snow.

Yeah it'll still be nice to drive out of town for a day walk and some mushrooming. Fingers crossed for an alpine hike in early June but it looks like being a bumper snow season!
Drew

Postby bigkev » Thu 14 May, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi All,

Maybe check the fine print on Parks Vic closures before you head out. I was thinking of doing the Oberon Bay day walk from Telegraph Saddle down at the Prom, however checking online it said that all remote walks were closed. After a couple of phone calls I got onto Tidal River and they said that even though I was doing a day walk that area was still closed off. Apparently the access via the dirt road from Telegraph Saddle is closed and access south from Little Oberon Bay along the coast is also closed. Anyway just a heads up :D
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 14 May, 2020 8:00 pm

From talks with some industry folks it seems (totally speculative here) as though they are trying to ensure that certain areas don't get hammered by those desperate to get away, as services to and from those locations are still not 100%. I also suspect that there is little trust right now and health authorities want to be sure that the freedom they give doesn't bite everyone in the butt two weeks later. I'll be watching the restrictions here, I think the reality is that if those who are thinking take care of the privilege, then the remote opening will be smoother. If however its a mad rush and a bunch of trashed day-use areas, then the rangers are going to be much more cautious on the re-open as it will be a sign of how many evacs they will end up preforming. The reality is that a lot of folks who probably shouldn't go have gotten stir-crazy enough that they will jump at the first chance. Lots of us still have no where useful to be.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Xplora » Fri 15 May, 2020 6:09 am

Drew wrote:

Yeah it'll still be nice to drive out of town for a day walk and some mushrooming. Fingers crossed for an alpine hike in early June but it looks like being a bumper snow season!

Up on Bogong yesterday and going got slow from around the 1600m mark with annoying snow at 1700m. I say annoying as it was not enough to warrant carrying snowshoes but enough to post hole every now and then. Generally firm for about 5 steps then sink to your knees then patches of bare track. The base is holding and may stay to the next dump. Heard that may be in around 5 days but not really looked hard at the forecast. A good view across to Nelse and BHP and looks similar.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CaptainC » Mon 18 May, 2020 8:05 pm

I've just looked at the Parks Vic page for Wilsons Prom and it says
Wilsons Prom is open to day visitors from 8am-5pm (last car in at 3pm) but it's important to note the following:

There is no camping and accommodation
The Tidal River store and Cafe are closed
The Visitor Centre is closed
The ablution blocks at The Terrace and Norman are open (with additional cleaning) but all others remain closed
The Southern and Northern remote walks are closed

The Alpine National Park has a number of closures due to bushfire impact and early seasonal road closure. There's also a notice about campgrounds being closed.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Sun 24 May, 2020 12:08 pm

You can overnight camp where there are no facilities from the 1st

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5&sfnsn=mo
CraigVIC

Postby Drew » Mon 25 May, 2020 10:47 am

Up on Bogong yesterday and going got slow from around the 1600m mark with annoying snow at 1700m. I say annoying as it was not enough to warrant carrying snowshoes but enough to post hole every now and then. Generally firm for about 5 steps then sink to your knees then patches of bare track. The base is holding and may stay to the next dump. Heard that may be in around 5 days but not really looked hard at the forecast. A good view across to Nelse and BHP and looks similar.

How's that snow cover looking now Xplora? Looks like the end of camping restrictions might coincide with another minor cold front. Could be enough to rule out the mountain walk I've been dreaming of until Spring. :cry: Just one more warmish spell would be good please weather gods!
Drew

Postby Xplora » Tue 26 May, 2020 5:22 am

Much of the snow is gone but maybe a bit coming through the next week. Probably enough to make it a nuisance again. i.e. not enough for snowshoes and too much for boots at times. Weather has been crap on the mountain for a bit now also. Windy and cold with drizzle. Today would be the pick. Cannot see anything good for you Drew. Sorry. Lets just see what this next system delivers. It is going through upgrades and downgrades just now. Models will firm up in the next two days.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adventuremum » Thu 28 May, 2020 5:56 am

Hi
What does 'back country camping'  with 'no facilities to share', 'no use of communal areas like shared bathrooms' mean?
Does that mean that hiking and camping on routes with a toilet is allowed after 1 June? not allowed? (eg Prom, Great Ocean Walk, Grampians Peak, Great Southwest Walk)
Is a toilet a shared bathroom? or not? Parks Vic currently have toilets open at Day Visitor Areas (eg Organ Pipes)
Can we snowcamp at Feathertop? (although not use the hut)
Wanting to do a replacement walk in July (for planned Larapinta :( ) in Vic or NSW 3-6 days. All suggestions appreciated
Thanks
https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/travel-restrictions-covid-19#can-i-go-camping
Can I go camping?
From 11:59pm on 31 May, camping where there are no facilities to share, e.g. back country camping, is allowed.Tourists staying at caravan parks and camping grounds that require use of communal areas like shared bathrooms and kitchens remains subject to current restrictions and is prohibited.
Can I stay at a caravan park or camping ground?
Yes. From 11:59pm on 31 May, you can stay at a caravan park, provided there are private facilities available (e.g. cabins) and there is no use of communal areas like shared bathrooms and kitchens.  Accommodation with no facilities to share, e.g. back country camping, is allowed.Accommodation which requires use of communal areas, such as shared bathrooms and kitchens, remains subject to current restrictions and you cannot stay there.
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 28 May, 2020 6:43 am

Interesting. We have done a couple of trips to Cleve Cole hut recently. Had to effect some emergency repairs before the snow and were given permission. This was to be done at the working bee but that was cancelled. The toilets were roped off the first time and a notice placed indicating due to COVID19 restrictions on the number of people allowed to congregate, this facility would be closed until further notice. I thought it odd as how many people can you fit in one cubicle at any given time and then why would you have more than one in there? The next time was after the current release of restrictions which allowed day walks and the signs were gone on the toilet but a new sign was at the camping area to say it was closed. So PV have opened up the remote toilets. Now people should be washing their hands well after going to the toilet so you think it would be pretty safe.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 28 May, 2020 1:16 pm

Parks have just opened bookings for all campgrounds except those with showers. So drop toilets are okay
CraigVIC

Postby adventuremum » Thu 28 May, 2020 9:30 pm

Thanks very much for update/info.
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 9:29 pm

NSW, now must book online... Just paid $6 for two nights from Wednesday ;)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Victoria