Restrictions on driving to hikes?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Restrictions on driving to hikes?

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 09 Apr, 2020 1:16 pm

Some other options:

Drive 20 minutes to my local trail along the Yarra.
Walk for 2-3 hours with my pack on, ending up back at my car.
Return home and camp at home (or not).
Rinse and repeat over the four days.

Alternatively, do the “Virtual Larapinta Trail” that is running on Facebook at the moment.
Relive the memories.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby neilmny » Thu 09 Apr, 2020 2:31 pm

My neighbours just sent us a picture of a nicely set up camp........in their backyard :lol:
It may come to that here before long :)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Thu 09 Apr, 2020 3:06 pm

"Police Minister Lisa Neville urged people to stay at home this weekend and away from coastal communities, but conceded that legally people could visit holiday homes they owned.

"You can't go to an Airbnb, you can't camp, you can't caravan, you can't boat, you can't fish. Those are very clear rules," she said.

I recon VicPol will be really making sure that anyone 'breaking these clear rules' will be named and shamed over this weekend with the objective to give a clear indication of what is expected in the months to come.
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 09 Apr, 2020 4:22 pm

With the Alpine NP now entirely closed, I am restricted to the property for exercise unless I take the drive to Mt. Wills which is not in the Park but only 20 minutes up the road. How am I going to cope if I can't walk to Mt. Cope??? All is not lost. Went for a walk on the stream today and saw a platypus. Made my day. I never do trip reports but thought about writing one of my walk to the letterbox and back. That takes more than an hour. We even saw a full blood Alpine Dingo. He just watched us calmly. Life can still be interesting.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Thu 09 Apr, 2020 4:56 pm

The letter box and back would make a better story than my trip from the kitchen to back bedroom Xplora, did you take pictures...every story needs pictures.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 09 Apr, 2020 5:18 pm

Orbita_Serenitatem wrote:"...but conceded that legally people could visit holiday homes they owned.

"You can't go to an Airbnb, you can't camp, you can't caravan, you can't boat, you can't fish

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 09 Apr, 2020 5:19 pm

Xplora wrote: I never do trip reports but thought about writing one of my walk to the letterbox and back. That takes more than an hour. We even saw a full blood Alpine Dingo. He just watched us calmly. Life can still be interesting.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 8:27 am

Baeng72 wrote:
Xplora wrote: I never do trip reports but thought about writing one of my walk to the letterbox and back. That takes more than an hour. We even saw a full blood Alpine Dingo. He just watched us calmly. Life can still be interesting.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :)
neilmny wrote:The letter box and back would make a better story than my trip from the kitchen to back bedroom Xplora, did you take pictures...every story needs pictures.

Sorry guys. I don't think I have ever thought about taking a camera to the letterbox. We often walk to it (or ride) because it is not worth starting a car to drive that far to what is often an empty box, and it is also good for us. Pretty sad when that could be the most interesting trip report for months. Feeling for you lot stuck in the city. When I lived in suburbia I went bush as much as possible just to cope. Part of the reason for moving here.

Seems we have been invaded by more interlopers yesterday. Another 4 cars with two caravans. Looks like the neighbour is having quite a gathering now.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 10:04 am

Xplora, it may be a good idea to limit human contact for two weeks after Easter. The chance of blow-ins bringing something nasty are slim, but stacking the odds in your favour seems to be indicated. The Surf Coast is past Geelong, near Lorne and Apollo Bay. In another forum there was a report about a lot of visitors to Surf Coast towns. A suggestion was made that all the retailers should shut and that locals should stay in their homes for Easter. If the visitors cannot buy anything then they will have a rather poor holiday. If they were relying on supermarkets, take-away and restaurants for meals then they may starve. I suspect that all police leave has been cancelled to patrol such places, especially beaches. A $1600 fine will sort out those who breach laws.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 10:29 am

Lophophaps wrote:Xplora, it may be a good idea to limit human contact for two weeks after Easter. The chance of blow-ins bringing something nasty are slim, but stacking the odds in your favour seems to be indicated. The Surf Coast is past Geelong, near Lorne and Apollo Bay. In another forum there was a report about a lot of visitors to Surf Coast towns. A suggestion was made that all the retailers should shut and that locals should stay in their homes for Easter. If the visitors cannot buy anything then they will have a rather poor holiday. If they were relying on supermarkets, take-away and restaurants for meals then they may starve. I suspect that all police leave has been cancelled to patrol such places, especially beaches. A $1600 fine will sort out those who breach laws.

Being well isolated has advantages. We don't have anything to do with the immediate neighbours on a regular basis but these people will go to town to buy their grog and there is only one place to do that. That is where the town has to shop so if it gets through there then it is through the entire town. I am not sure how the people who arrived here could drive so far without the expectation of being pulled over. Cars loaded with camping gear, kids, dogs. Seems nobody is concerned about a fine. We will continue to isolate here until it eases. Plenty of food and toilet paper. Lots of gum leaves when that runs out. We have meat walking around keeping fresh.

Heard on the ski forum that people in Vic are being fined for being as far away as 45km from home. Obviously that would not apply to us.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 11:43 am

Xplora wrote: . . . Cars loaded with camping gear, kids, dogs . . .

Isn't it good to see kids being taught how to be pioneers in the great Oz bush. Maybe about 60 million years late though.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 2:48 pm

peregrinator wrote:

Isn't it good to see kids being taught how to be pioneers in the great Oz bush. Maybe about 60 million years late though.

Being taught very well. Unregistered trail bikes tearing up and down the road all day and then into the National Park. No helmets either but I would think something needs to be inside the head if it were bumped to cause any serious damage. If the bush is in the way, chop it down and burn it. These kids will grow up well.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregR » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 2:59 pm

Xplora wrote:
peregrinator wrote:

Being taught very well. Unregistered trail bikes tearing up and down the road all day and then into the National Park. No helmets either but I would think something needs to be inside the head if it were bumped to cause any serious damage. If the bush is in the way, chop it down and burn it. These kids will grow up well.

Indeed all to true!. even worse is they get to vote and breed when they get big enough.
GregR

Postby tastrax » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 4:46 pm

:D :D :D :D

CovidSpread.jpg
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Xplora » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 5:01 pm

tastrax wrote::D :D :D :D

CovidSpread.jpg

Best one I have seen yet.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 5:11 pm

neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baka Dasai » Sat 11 Apr, 2020 7:02 pm

tastrax wrote::D :D :D :D

CovidSpread.jpg
I think only one applies. Population density in the more formal sense doesn't seem to be a factor. It may even have a slight protective effect due to the way it promotes pro-social behaviours.
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 11 Apr, 2020 11:35 pm

You are permitted to pile into big shops with heaps of other people such as Ikea, JB Hi Fi and Bunnings retail outlets and buy food and medicine (sic) and other essentials such a new sofa , some DVDs and some hardware but you are not allowed to drive for 90 -100 min.s alone to a surf beach and surf solo , get out , change and drive straight home. That is a flipping joke!. However I am staying out of the surf and I am saving my $1600 for a new surfboard. Autumn is all about waves for me.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Aardvark » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 6:55 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:You are permitted to pile into big shops with heaps of other people such as Ikea, JB Hi Fi and Bunnings retail outlets and buy food and medicine (sic) and other essentials such a new sofa , some DVDs and some hardware but you are not allowed to drive for 90 -100 min.s alone to a surf beach and surf solo , get out , change and drive straight home. That is a flipping joke!

They want you home , on the TV, listening to all the constant crap about coronavirus. BUT DON"T OBSESS ABOUT IT.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 7:27 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:You are permitted to pile into big shops with heaps of other people such as Ikea, JB Hi Fi and Bunnings retail outlets and buy food and medicine (sic) and other essentials such a new sofa , some DVDs and some hardware but you are not allowed to drive for 90 -100 min.s alone to a surf beach and surf solo , get out , change and drive straight home. That is a flipping joke!. However I am staying out of the surf and I am saving my $1600 for a new surfboard. Autumn is all about waves for me.

Edited after careful consideration and appologies for the original outburst.

We all you need to suck it up......... none of this is about any individual.
We are all in the same boat, every last one of us world wide ......
No one should take it personally.

On ski forums they have a Bear Pit where almost anything goes.........perhaps we need a temporary Dummy Spit thread :?:
Last edited by neilmny on Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 8:47 am

neilmny wrote:We are all in the same boat.

Better not be, or there goes another $1600!
ChrisJHC

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 9:02 am

Here's hoping for the lowest Easter road toll ever. A silver lining.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 9:05 am

neilmny wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:You are permitted to pile into big shops with heaps of other people such as Ikea, JB Hi Fi and Bunnings retail outlets and buy food and medicine (sic) and other essentials such a new sofa , some DVDs and some hardware but you are not allowed to drive for 90 -100 min.s alone to a surf beach and surf solo , get out , change and drive straight home. That is a flipping joke!. However I am staying out of the surf and I am saving my $1600 for a new surfboard. Autumn is all about waves for me.

I was going to rant PCV but I won't ...... you need to suck it up......... you're not the only one and none of this is about any individual.
We are all in the same boat, every last one of us world wide ..... just incase you didn't know that.
So stop taking it personally you've been grizzling on other forums too .......... get over yourself.

Hmmm I guess I failed on the no rant plan.

Don't be too harsh. You've got to express disappointment some way or another.
'Grizzling' on forums is a good way to let it out, much better than literally going out to the bush or surf.

I was a tad disappointed (read: uncontrollable grief/pathetic wimpering) with first the Bushfires, then illness and then lockdown for coronavirus put the kibosh on hikes I've planned before Winter.

But now I'm just threatening my partner with 'when the quarantine is lifted, I'm doing EVERY hike I can think of'.
She's a very tolerant person for not telling me where to go. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 9:39 am

ChrisJHC wrote:
neilmny wrote:We are all in the same boat.

Better not be, or there goes another $1600!

Good point :lol:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:26 am

Baeng72 wrote:...........Don't be too harsh. You've got to express disappointment some way or another.
'Grizzling' on forums is a good way to let it out, much better than literally going out to the bush or surf.

I was a tad disappointed (read: uncontrollable grief/pathetic wimpering) with first the Bushfires, then illness and then lockdown for coronavirus put the kibosh on hikes I've planned before Winter.

But now I'm just threatening my partner with 'when the quarantine is lifted, I'm doing EVERY hike I can think of'.
She's a very tolerant person for not telling me where to go. :)

Quite right Baeng72.........I've edited the original post.
As for uncontrollable grief etc. all I can say is me too. :roll:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 2:20 pm

Let's see if this works.
Apologies if the camera animation is a bit dodgy.
For a bit of fun, guess the location....

[ Play Quicktime file ] Flyby.mov [ 2.42 MiB | Viewed 19521 times ]

Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aardvark » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 6:28 pm

neilmny wrote:On ski forums they have a Bear Pit where almost anything goes.........perhaps we need a temporary Dummy Spit thread :?:

America has surpassed Italy in terms of numbers dead in a day.
Those *&%$#! yanks just have to outdo everybody, don't they?
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 12 Apr, 2020 9:51 pm

I don't play golf but tell me how golf has been proven to increase the cross infection rate in a pandemic!. It is now banned in VIC.A dude on a stand up paddle board was sent home by the water police recently while having some recreation at the sea near Brighton Beach. You cannot make this stuff up.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 6:51 am

No that is currently where we are at.

In the U.K they have currently banned outdoor exercise in some areas. New Zealand on stage 4 lockdown. We're probably going to end up with the same restrictions before long so get used to it.

For what it's worth too, I dont totally agree with the measures taken but i totally understand why we are doing it and for now I will do my bit. If in 6 months time though i'm still being told I cant go outside or drive my car well I suspect i'll feel differently about it.

Just remember though people please while we cannot go walking, fishing, play golf or paddle board there are currently thousands and thousands of people worldwide who cant visit loved ones, aren't going out for treatment or are mourning the loss of loved ones. For me all this complaining about not being able to go for a walk seems a bit petty and selfish with whats going on in the world and most likely whats about to go on in our country in the next month.

4months ago we'd never heard of this virus (except the bat people) and now look at where we are.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Aardvark » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 7:26 am

And to think it may not have happened if people had just a bit for respect for animals.
And despite all this it WILL happen yet again, sometime in the future.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria