Restrictions on driving to hikes?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Restrictions on driving to hikes?

Postby Lamont » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 8:30 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:No that is currently where we are at.

In the U.K they have currently banned outdoor exercise in some areas. New Zealand on stage 4 lockdown. We're probably going to end up with the same restrictions before long so get used to it.

For what it's worth too, I dont totally agree with the measures taken but i totally understand why we are doing it and for now I will do my bit. If in 6 months time though i'm still being told I cant go outside or drive my car well I suspect i'll feel differently about it.

Just remember though people please while we cannot go walking, fishing, play golf or paddle board there are currently thousands and thousands of people worldwide who cant visit loved ones, aren't going out for treatment or are mourning the loss of loved ones. For me all this complaining about not being able to go for a walk seems a bit petty and selfish with whats going on in the world and most likely whats about to go on in our country in the next month.

4months ago we'd never heard of this virus (except the bat people) and now look at where we are.

Wee bit of an error there-you can exercise locally and paddle board too if you are local. Pedal's example if true, would have involved a non local driving to a beach. It's the travelling and filling car parks that is the issue. I saw every car park overflowing not long back before restrictions were tightened. The population of the town doubled day after day and all or most made their way into the small township later.
Cheers
Last edited by Lamont on Mon 13 Apr, 2020 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Xplora » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 8:32 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I don't play golf but tell me how golf has been proven to increase the cross infection rate in a pandemic!. It is now banned in VIC.A dude on a stand up paddle board was sent home by the water police recently while having some recreation at the sea near Brighton Beach. You cannot make this stuff up.

I have to agree that golf would not be overly dangerous. For some people, the walk from the clubhouse to the buggy is an important aerobic workout. Jokes aside, golf courses have big overheads and would be hurting. When this is over, some may have to sell off 9 holes for housing developments just to stay afloat. Oops, already happened. I think with golf there is such a strong draw at the end of a match to shake the hand of your opponent that they have considered the risk of not being able to withstand the temptation too great.

The point is, if we do not get this right now then worse will be forced on us. I also understand the venting and whinging but it does get somewhat tiresome. Well done those who have managed to find some benefits, great or small, to all this. Those too who have seen our situation better than many others.
Aardvark wrote:And to think it may not have happened if people had just a bit for respect for animals.
And despite all this it WILL happen yet again, sometime in the future.

Seriously? You want to turn this into a vegan debate. This happened because of an inadequate (proportional?) response by governments all over the world where that first response was the short term goal to minimise the economic outfall sustained by each individual country. Look at what it is costing us now. We should have done the heavy lifting earlier but people in this country are so fixated on their leisure and pleasure that they cannot see beyond their own selfish desires and would have revolted against the thought of taking away any freedom before it was a real threat to them personally. Even now they just ignore it. Possibly when this happens again, things will be different and there will be an appropriate and immediate response to protect our people and our economy.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 8:51 am

No error Lamont.

In parts of the UK outdoor exercising has been banned. Not here in Australia. Yet.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 9:24 am

Xplora wrote:Seriously? You want to turn this into a vegan debate.

You might be drawing a very long bow with that thought.
I think it's something along the lines of these articles, that we're causing animals that wouldn't interact into smaller spaces, through habitat destruction, which is allowing virus to cross species, then we're using those animals for bushmeat or illegal animal trade in markets, introducing novel virus into populations that aren't immune.

But a number of researchers today think that it is actually humanity’s destruction of biodiversity that creates the conditions for new viruses and diseases like COVID-19, the viral disease that emerged in China in December 2019, to arise

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... to-emerge/

https://theconversation.com/study-shows ... ans-135687
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 10:05 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:No error Lamont.

In parts of the UK outdoor exercising has been banned. Not here in Australia. Yet.

No worries, just you referred to 'we'-I only mentioned it to clarify. Not a criticism of your thoughtful post.
Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Xplora » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 12:29 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
Xplora wrote:Seriously? You want to turn this into a vegan debate.

You might be drawing a very long bow with that thought.
I think it's something along the lines of these articles, that we're causing animals that wouldn't interact into smaller spaces, through habitat destruction, which is allowing virus to cross species, then we're using those animals for bushmeat or illegal animal trade in markets, introducing novel virus into populations that aren't immune.

But a number of researchers today think that it is actually humanity’s destruction of biodiversity that creates the conditions for new viruses and diseases like COVID-19, the viral disease that emerged in China in December 2019, to arise

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... to-emerge/

https://theconversation.com/study-shows ... ans-135687

The actual transmission vector from Bat to human is not yet known. So far it is only speculation or in scientific terms, theory, fanned by media. Transmission from human to human is known and can be stopped. Once stopped, the virus will die. I do take your point although the debate about stopping the virus spreading further is not one of how it started. That horse has bolted and would be a question for when this is all over.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 1:18 pm

Xplora wrote:......... Transmission from human to human is known and can be stopped. Once stopped, the virus will die. I do take your point although the debate about stopping the virus spreading further is not one of how it started. That horse has bolted and would be a question for when this is all over.

This.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 2:04 pm

Xplora wrote:
The actual transmission vector from Bat to human is not yet known. So far it is only speculation or in scientific terms, theory, fanned by media. Transmission from human to human is known and can be stopped. Once stopped, the virus will die. I do take your point although the debate about stopping the virus spreading further is not one of how it started. That horse has bolted and would be a question for when this is all over.

Your assertion was that someone was arguing pro-vegan, I thought that was off the mark and was instead arguing that our indifference to animals (doesn't matter which animals, but probably through an intermediary, allowing suitable mutations, then on to us), is how we got started with coronavirus (it's how we got started with its 'relative' SARS https://www.who.int/ith/diseases/sars/en/) and it will lead to future cross overs, because when it settles down, people will be back doing what they did before whether for a quick buck or just to survive or tradition Chinese /complimentary medicine. Of course, they could have been arguing pro-vegan, and then I'm off the mark.

The articles I posted were to support the idea that our mistreatment or disrespect of nature and animals helped or led to the pandemic.
They are observations, hunches, speculation or possible avenues of research and I never offered them as theory.

It's a mistake to equate a scientific theory with speculation, as they're really quite opposite or contrary and seems to conflate the common usage of the word with its technical usage.
One (speculation) is pulling stuff out of the nether end, or a hunch, the other is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested and verified in accordance with the scientific method, using accepted protocols of observation, measurement, and evaluation of results.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aardvark » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 3:15 pm

It is ridiculous to suggest that a mention of animals and the way in which humans interact with them (ie cause of the virus jumping species) is automatically a vegan debate.
Just like it is ridiculous for farmers or anyone who is targeted by animal rights activists to suggest it is all about veganism. You do not have to be an activist to appreciate biodiversity or rights for animals.
Vegans are not automatically advocates for animal rights. Alot of people adopt a vegan diet because of the growing evidence that animal products have a negative affect on human health.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby PedroArvy » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 3:25 pm

Deleted.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 6:54 pm

With 7.6 billion 'advanced monkeys' getting about and requiring food and water each 24 hour rotation of the planet...
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby crollsurf » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 7:25 pm

Monkeys! Not to mention the 7.6b of the Apes that are devolving into Idiocracy

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 7:43 pm

Ape, monkey, close enough to me.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 8:04 pm

Haha close enough.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 9:51 pm

Wow, that thread went downhill fast!

As to driving to hikes....nup...not happening....not for a while.

Keep people away from each other - I’ve already noticed in my little “GP land” aspect of life, that there are virtually no patients with sore throats, sinus infections, bronchitis etc. If we don’t mix, then we can’t spread disease.

I wouldn’t mind going bushwalking, fly fishing, or ski touring (when the snow happens), but, we need to cop these restrictions to get over it.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Aardvark » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 4:36 am

The only people who are going to listen and act on what you tell them they CAN'T do are the ones who are already converted.
Telling people over and over what they CAN'T do will not change the minds of those who don't want to take heed.

So the thread labelled as it is, is only destined to live a short life.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 6:08 am

Aardvark wrote:The only people who are going to listen and act on what you tell them they CAN'T do are the ones who are already converted.
Telling people over and over what they CAN'T do will not change the minds of those who don't want to take heed.

So the thread labelled as it is, is only destined to live a short life.

As short a life as we hope the virus has. This thread is about restrictions on driving to hikes and not the cause of the pandemic. But you are correct. Only those who desire to do the right thing will heed the warnings but we have a mechanism in place to deal with those who don't get it. Apologies for any offence with my earlier comment.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 7:08 am

In many places, national and other parks are closed. Driving to such parks is proscribed unless you live locally. Exercising locally is encouraged, perhaps walking around the block or a short local bike ride. Some national and other parks are very close to residences. Sydney has the Great North Walk, Blue Mountains NP, Royal NP and probably others. Melbourne has Ferntree Gully NP. Some people live next to a national park.

Nearly all the crowds I have seen at some of the above places have been non-local. Take out these people and numbers drop a lot. If a person can walk a short way to a park such as the above, should day trips be allowed? Or would this be too hard to enforce? One way may be to close car parks and book the cars, not the people
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 7:28 am

Xplora wrote: Apologies for any offence with my earlier comment.

I can't speak for anybody else, though I might have done that for the comment on veganism earlier, but no offence taken by me. :)
I'm a niggly *&%$#! at the best of times, and downright truculent when the blood is flowing, so apologies if my like of a verbal back-and-forth has caused offence.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 7:35 am

Neo wrote:Ape, monkey, close enough to me.

Cladistically speaking: Humans are Apes. Apes are Monkeys. Monkeys are Primates. Primates are Placental Mammals. Placental Mammals are Mammals. Mammals are tetrapod Vertebrates, Vertebrates are animals, etc......
Ahh, That feels better, ;)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 1:15 pm

Apes are not monkeys. Monkeys are a different bunch of animals. Both are primates.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 1:47 pm

north-north-west wrote:Apes are not monkeys. Monkeys are a different bunch of animals. Both are primates.

Apes are part of the Catarhinne Clade, along with Old-world Monkeys.
The Catarrhini or catarrhine monkeys or Old World anthropoids are the sister group to the New World monkeys,
...The apes – in both traditional and phylogenic nomenclature – are exclusively catarrhine species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catarrhini
Apes (Hominoidea) are a branch of Old World tailless simians native to Africa and Southeast Asia. They are the sister group of the Old World monkeys, together forming the catarrhine clade.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aardvark » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 2:55 pm

It's alright. Thanks. I'm not offended. Not easily offended.
Forums such as this (where it is all written) allow easy misinterpretation of peoples ideas or meaning.
I often write things which some might find inflammatory but they generally are not meant to be.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 3:47 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Apes are not monkeys. Monkeys are a different bunch of animals. Both are primates.

The Catarrhini or catarrhine monkeys or Old World anthropoids are the sister group to the New World monkeys,
...The apes – in both traditional and phylogenic nomenclature – are exclusively catarrhine species.

Apes (Hominoidea) are a branch of Old World tailless simians native to Africa and Southeast Asia. They are the sister group of the Old World monkeys, together forming the catarrhine clade.

None of which equates to apes being monkeys.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 4:05 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:

None of which equates to apes being monkeys.

So, Apes are Catarrhine Monkeys, but you say that doesn't equate to Apes being Monkeys. mmm...

Apes are monkeys in the same way that monkeys are primates, humans are apes and I am a human – it’s called a nested hierarchy.
https://paoloviscardi.com/2011/04/21/ap ... l-with-it/
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 5:42 pm

Aardvark wrote:

It's alright. Thanks. I'm not offended. Not easily offended.
Forums such as this (where it is all written) allow easy misinterpretation of peoples ideas or meaning.
I often write things which some might find inflammatory but they generally are not meant to be.

Sorry all the same. My bad. Thanks for taking it so well.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Victoria