Great Ocean Walk

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Great Ocean Walk

Postby Sheep She-ra » Fri 31 Dec, 2021 7:16 am

Wondering the same. Also an early Jan start. Any decision on rescheduling, Hileranon?
Sheep She-ra
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Hileranon » Sat 01 Jan, 2022 8:12 pm

Sheep She-ra wrote:Wondering the same. Also an early Jan start. Any decision on rescheduling, Hileranon?

I think I'll reschedule for another time. I can't find any info on whether it's even possible to do this section. It's a shame as it's the nicest part of the hike imo
Hileranon
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby scroggin » Fri 28 Jan, 2022 2:57 pm

I walked the GOW over 6 days finishing on Good Friday last year. I only booked the campsites the day before leaving as I just felt the need to get away.

The original plan based on campsite availability was Elliot Ridge - Cape Otway - Aire River - Ryans Den - Devils Kitchen. I wanted to stay at Johanna Beach on the third night instead of Aire River but the GOW campsite was booked out by a guided tour group that offer off-track accommodation except for this one night - I'm not sure how they are allowed.

I was picked up from the 12 Apostles car park on the Sunday by a shuttle service and driven to Apollo Bay. I was offered to start at Marengo, but I needed to go in to Apollo Bay to get a map first. Instead of following the road back, I headed down to the waters edge to start my walk and eventually noticing a river in front of me that may or my not have been impassable (I didn't want to extend the day even more) I found myself having to scurry through a golf course to find my way back to the main road. I should have looked at the map before setting off

It was only when I studied the map at the Cape Otway camp I realised there was a drive-in campsite at Johanna Beach just before the GOW campsite. So I booked that for the 3rd night, it was still a shame I didn't get to camp on the ridge at Johanna - next time.

Remember to look up when walking from Shelly Beach to Elliot Ridge - you should see quite a number of Koalas
The hardest parts was definitely Johanna beach. It's like walking through soft snow.

Due to the accessibility of where I was going I didn't have high expectations, but I actually really enjoyed it and am planning to go back.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rider » Thu 17 Feb, 2022 1:14 pm

Just to update.
I have completed the walk and it is now open in its entirety. It was previously closed after storm damage.
Significant works have been done around some rockfalls east of Ryan's Den, and more work is progressing there and elsewhere.

Get out and enjoy this beautiful part of the world !!
rider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby EGM » Sun 27 Feb, 2022 12:04 am

Fantastic. Is it safe to expect that there will be water in the tanks at the campsites currently.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Sun 27 Feb, 2022 4:34 pm

EGM wrote:Fantastic. Is it safe to expect that there will be water in the tanks at the campsites currently.

Most definitely.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby rider » Mon 28 Feb, 2022 12:00 pm

Yes EGM , the tanks all seemed pretty full with the rain we have had.
rider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 18 Aug, 2022 4:24 pm

Does anyone know how many people do this walk? It seems that the campsites must be booked. Is it possible to camp elsewhere?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 18 Aug, 2022 5:55 pm

You would have to go back to get an honest view on it. I know someone who does transfers etc and their business was smashed during covid. All sites are booked, there's no dispersed camping. There's a few different LTO that offer hikes where you day hike each section and are transfered to and from accommodation each night.
CraigVIC

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 12:34 pm

The last time I did it, the first campsite - Blanket Bay - was completely full (exacerbated by many who hadn’t booked).

The numbers thinned quite quickly as I progressed and dropped significantly once past Aire River.
It looks like a lot only hike to Cape Otway or Aire River.

Note that you will probably be bored if you only do one section a day as you’ll end up finishing some sections by lunchtime.

Here was my itinerary:

Day 1 (am) Apollo Bay Visitor Centre to Elliot Ridge 10km Medium
Day 1 (pm) Elliot Ridge Campground to Blanket Bay 12km Easy
Day 2 (am) Blanket Bay Campground to Cape Otway 11km Easy / Medium
Day 2 (pm) Cape Otway Campground to Aire River 10km Medium
Day 3 (am) Aire River Campground to Johanna Beach 14km Medium
Day 3 (pm) Johanna Beach Campground to Ryan's Den 14km Medium / Hard
Day 4 Ryan's Den Campground to Devils Kitchen 13km Medium / Hard
Day 5 Devils Kitchen Campground to Twelve Apostles 16km Easy / Medium

The hardest day was Day 3, but then I had an easy Day 4 to make up for it.

Re transport, I left my car at the Twelve Apostles car park, caught the bus to Apollo Bay then walked back to my car.
ChrisJHC

Postby Eremophila » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 5:10 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Does anyone know how many people do this walk? It seems that the campsites must be booked. Is it possible to camp elsewhere?

It just depends when you go. Last September I had one group for company each day, two or three solo walkers going in the opposite direction and several day walkers. It was nice and quiet.

There were a few vehicles in the adjacent campground at Blanket Bay, none at Aire River and none at Johanna aside from the other group’s vehicle which they had left there. I had the Johanna hilltop camp to myself.
Eremophila

Postby icemancometh » Sat 15 Apr, 2023 9:43 am

ChrisJHC wrote:The last time I did it, the first campsite - Blanket Bay - was completely full (exacerbated by many who hadn’t booked).

The numbers thinned quite quickly as I progressed and dropped significantly once past Aire River.

Note that you will probably be bored if you only do one section a day as you’ll end up finishing some sections by lunchtime.

Here was my itinerary:

Re transport, I left my car at the Twelve Apostles car park, caught the bus to Apollo Bay then walked back to my car.

Just on their website and I was thinking 3-5 days at most allowing for weather. It's 110km officially and seems pretty easy going.
How did you find it over 5 days?
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 15 Apr, 2023 9:17 pm

icemancometh wrote:
ChrisJHC wrote:The last time I did it, the first campsite - Blanket Bay - was completely full (exacerbated by many who hadn’t booked).

Here was my itinerary:

Just on their website and I was thinking 3-5 days at most allowing for weather. It's 110km officially and seems pretty easy going.
How did you find it over 5 days?
You could easily do it in 4 days (by combining my Days 4 and 5).
I got to the 12 Apostles by mid-morning on Day 5 which meant an easy drive home.

If you do the bus trip to Apollo Bay there’s a bit of pfaffing about but then a couple of easy sections to get you started.
ChrisJHC

Previous

Return to Victoria