East Gippy extended walk trail

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

East Gippy extended walk trail

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 6:56 pm

East Gippsland extended walking trail campaign. FYI and 2 cents.
https://themountainjournal.wordpress.co ... gippsland/
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: East Gippy extended walk trail

Postby Xplora » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 5:46 am

Cam Walker is a regular contributor to these pages and I doubt this concept plan, in his mind, is about destroying wilderness for profit if anyone has that concern. Some may see it that way and there is of course the danger when you speak of international tourism and then put eco in front of it that people will want to build things to accommodate. The proposal does in fact suggest building ranger stations and camp sites. Errinundra does need a bit more to offer people in the way of walks and this could be a good thing. I doubt Bemm River will change much as a result of it. It is already famous for big Bream in the river and fishermen have been flocking there for many years. They stay in the town and spend money. The area is heavily infested with ticks so tick treatment should be an essential in the first aid kit.
I think the article does have a fair bit of marketing spin and some points which are a bit of a stretch. Mt. Ellery is just under 1300m and does not rate in the top 50 of Victoria's peaks. What part of East Gippsland would you call 'far'. It is a big shire which also includes Mt. Bogong on the north western boundary. That IS Victoria's highest peak and it is just as far away from any other place in East Gippsland. None of the mountains in the area rate among Victoria's highest so to say such is a bit misleading. Is this sort of talk needed to sell a project? There are some fine things to see in that area without the need to hype it up with this. It reminds me of how Tourism NE call Rutherglen and other flat land areas part of the High Country. It also reminds me that East Gippsland only considers the coast and Lakes to be of any value. I am not knocking the concept and would invite Cam to contribute a bit more on it here.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:07 am

Further development with short film release.
https://themountainjournal.wordpress.co ... -launched/
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks for the update. Xplora's comment that
Errinundra does need a bit more to offer people in the way of walks
is an understatement. Off-track walking in the area is of course extermely difficult. All of the open tracks can be walked in a few easy days. The link mentions Green Road, which is closed to vehicles and I imagine could be a good walk, but last time I was there it was a wall of blackberry. Any proposals to make basic improvements in walking routes ought to be encouraged.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gippsmick » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 2:16 pm

Sounds like this trail is getting some legs and may even go ahead but will it be any good and will it attract the numbers of people they are hoping for? This concept could work but it desperately needs more work in conjunction with user groups. The forests out here in the east are great but who wants to walk on existing tracks open to traffic for around 50% of the 120 km length? Not me. How about constructing a purpose built trail off the existing roads for starters.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JulianS » Sun 16 Feb, 2020 9:14 pm

Can I ask what prompted your post @ Gippsmick? Did you hear something or has this been in the news somewhere recently?
JulianS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria