Water Rpoers hut, Mt Bogong and Bivouac Hut?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water Rpoers hut, Mt Bogong and Bivouac Hut?

Postby russ1111 » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 11:56 am

Hi,

We're from Perth and are planning to do the Northern Plains Traverse (Langford Gap to Mountain Creek) in 4 days. We hike with kids aged 5-11 so usually try and keep distances short - however I am concerned about water availablility this year

Does anyone have any recent experience with Ropers or Bivouac huts? Is there water there? Also are there any creeks within a 1-1.5km of the top of Mt Bogong that we coudl replenish supplies from?

I spoke to the Mt Beauty Ranger but they seem to be justifiably preoccupied with the fires at the moment and basically said you can only count on water at Big river and Cleve Cole.

Just wondering if anyone has any other experience out there? (If push come to shove we can make these our only refill points but it would be a real stretch)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Russel
russ1111
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Water Rpoers hut, Mt Bogong and Bivouac Hut?

Postby Drew » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 5:10 pm

You might have timed your walk well with the rain that's falling across Victoria today. Falls Creek has had 25mm in the last couple of days and there's plenty more forecast for the next two days.

Given this rain there should be water flowing at Ropers Hut. There's a tank at Bivouac Hut but apparently the tap is on its last legs (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12067).

Take care crossing Big River. There should be a chain there to hang on to. I was there this time last year and the chain had been swept away by floodwaters, but I believe it's been replaced. Walking poles would be handy if you have them.

Enjoy the walk!

Drew
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby ryantmalone » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 9:42 pm

Water is usually reliable at Cleve Cole through the creek tap, near the top of T-Spur where Maddisons Hut used to be, and definitely good at Big River. Ropers, I cant say for sure as it has been some time since I have camped there, however in the area over the Nelses just above, I've never really found too much of a problem finding water in the odd stream. You should be especially right with the rain that just fell as Drew said.

I've never had a problem with water in the Bogongs, even in dry summers, so you should be fine.
ryantmalone

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 9:42 am

At Christmas I didn’t get water from Ropers, but the creek should be okay. The chain was in place on Big River. Depending on how fast the kids walk, allow perhaps 2-5 hours Ropers-Big River. The chain was in place, and there’s a campsite on the true left aka Mt Bogong side. There’s no water until the top of T Spur, 4-7 hours. Camp Valley has heaps of water. From the summit of Bogong, if you take the pad straight down you should pass a soak, which runs after rain, and perhaps other times. The tank at Bivouc has a damaged tap. If the tap goes there’s no water. Going out on the road, at the first crossing take the track on the left, which bypasses two crossings.

There was a family group at Cleve Cole, kids nine and six. They went Ropers to Big River, and the next day to the top of T Spur.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby dplanet » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 7:01 pm

Lophophaps wrote:. The tank at Bivouc has a damaged tap. If the tap goes there’s no water...

Will try to contact those in charge as soon as i can. Have forgot about it. Feel so guilty. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11562
dplanet

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 7:58 am

The track at Ropers is near the toilet. At Big River go downstream about 50 metre to the chain. The rest is fairly easy to follow. I don’t think you can fully rely on the Bivouac tank. IMO it will probably be okay, but take water from Cleve Cole, top up at the summit if you can, and treat Bivouac water as a bonus
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby dplanet » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 4:35 pm

Based on park notes, Alpine NP, ParksVic have been notified of the damaged water tank tap at the Bivouac Hut shelter. Hopefully, they will look into it when time permitting. Properly, they have been busy with recent fires near the area.
dplanet

Postby russ1111 » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments....

Just got back from an incredibly satisfying 4 days. Left Langford Gap in 4 degrees, rain and 40km/h winds but thankfully that was the worst weather of the trip.

Ropers day 1. Down Timm's Spur to Big River and Bogong saddle for day 2. Then up Quartz ridge to the summit of Bogong and down staircase spur to Bivouac for day 3.

Then out today. We had 3 first time overnight hikers, as well as 5,7,9,10 and 11 year old kids with us.

Was perfect all round, and the kids loved it, even though at times it was tough.

I'll Leave you with a picture of 11 year old helping 5 year old jaiya down staircase spur yesterday afternoon :)
Attachments
Kai and Oliver Staircase Spur Mt Bogong small.jpg
Kai and Oliver Staircase Spur Mt Bogong small.jpg (41.27 KiB) Viewed 8389 times
russ1111
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby ryantmalone » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 4:07 pm

russ1111 wrote:
I'll Leave you with a picture of 11 year old helping 5 year old jaiya down staircase spur yesterday afternoon :)

That is just too precious.

I have memories of when I was around 6 years old or so going down the Staircase Spur, thinking that the Gadsen Memorial looked like a light saber.

Yeah. Kids. ;)
ryantmalone

Region: Tasmania

Return to Victoria