Mitchell River National Park - Angus Vale to Billy Goat Bend

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mitchell River National Park - Angus Vale to Billy Goat Bend

Postby BennySpenny » Sat 12 Jan, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Folks,

Here's an account of a lovely day walk that I did with my Mum late last year along the Mitchell River. The track is one-way so I recommend a car shuffle so you don't have to back track along the same route. For a walk longer, than what we did you could go further along the river from Billy Goat Bend to the Den of Nargun. Enjoy.

Itching for an decent length walk, I teed up Mum to walk some of the Mitchell River walking track in the Mitchell River national park. We drove out two cars and parked one at Billy Goat Bend (end of walk) and the other at Angusvale camping area. By the time we got organised it was 11:30 and a sign at Angusvale indicated that the walk duration would be 6 hours – a surprise to Mum and I. I had thought it would take about half that time. I assured Mum, that it wouldn’t actually take that long because from my experience a decent pace results in the times indicated on national park signs being significantly overstated. We hit the trail and almost instantly came across a wombat! Wombo looked like he’d been digging recently and was covered in dirt. He was a pretty rough looking character with patches of fur sporadically missing from him. He’d either been fighting or had been digging so enthusiastically that he’d put everything into it...including some of his fur. After a few obligatory pics, we were off again. The gradient was initially flat and hugged the river, providing a tranquil setting. The sun was shining but wasn’t’ beating down too hard – conditions were perfect. Shortly the track headed upwards and we started climbing and reached some decent altitude which afforded us nice views down upon the river. We took the opportunity to break for lunch. The track continued to be climbs and decents for the next while. The track was easy to follow and at times seemed to be an old road. Eventually we came to a sign that provided an update as to how we were progressing. It indicated that we’d be walking for ‘4 hours’ and had 2 remaining whereas we’d actually been walking for 2 hours which suggested we had about 1 hour to go. As we climbed another rise, we spotted rafters in the river below. We’d seen cars at the carpark but no sign of other walkers on the track…evidently the occupants had opted for the river instead of land. We watched them make their way along the gurgling water. An extended descent brought us right back down to river level and brought us face to face with a trickling creek without the obligatory bridge to assist our crossing. Evidently the river levels were high and I doubt that this creek is a permanent fixture in the walk. Regardless of the origins of the creek, we still needed to cross it. I was first across and although the water lapped up against the top of my water resistant boots, my feet remained relatively dry. Next across was Mum, being the good son I am, I crossed back over and piggy backed Mum across. With that challenge conquered, we looked upwards to site our next and final challenge – a final climb to the newly built Billy Goat Bend lookout. It looked to be ages away but we weren’t going to get there by looking at it, so upwards we climbed – 20 mins later, we were standing victorious in the amphitheatre and enjoying the spoils of victory. Billy Goat bend showcased the mighty Mitchell river winding its way around a corner. We admired the view for the ages, satisfied with our days walking and agreeing that it had been thoroughly enjoyable.
BennySpenny
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mitchell River National Park - Angus Vale to Billy Goat

Postby Isis » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 8:46 am

That's a nice walk , I've walk in from the Den end and camp down on the river below the rapid. Trouble with the walk is you don't spend much time walking along the river as you would think.
Isis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Snowzone » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Benny, nice trip report. I camped at Angusvale a few years ago but only had time for a quick walk there at the time. I always thought I'd get back there one day to do the walk through to the Den of Nargun.
I quite enjoy the Den especially since reading a book titled 'The Nargun and the Stars'
Did you find any nice swimming spots on the river?
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby BennySpenny » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi Snowzone,

Angus Vale has some nice calm water with easy access for swimming.

Benny
BennySpenny
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria