2-3 day hike suggestions

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

2-3 day hike suggestions

Postby stripey_giraffe » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi everyone,
Stumbled across this site and there is some great advice on it!
My friend and I are looking to go for a 2-3 day hike around the highlands/alpine area in Victoria.
We used to do a lot of hiking around the Howqua River area and we're looking to get back into it.
We're looking for an easyish walk (around 5-10 k a day) and it needs to be a circuit.
Any suggestions would be fantastic!
stripey_giraffe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: 2-3 day hike suggestions

Postby north-north-west » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 7:26 pm

When are you wanting to do this? There's still a lot of high level snow on the VicAlps, and a lot of access roads are closed, which disqualifies most of what I would suggest if you were planning on going in the near future.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: 2-3 day hike suggestions

Postby wildlight » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 8:44 pm

Howdy there.

As you have had some experience in the Howqua Area- a couple of options come to mind to ease you back into it.

If you go to Sheepyard Flat, you'll notice there is a "high" level track following the Howqua upstream, as well as a "low" level track. Maybe go out along one, and come back along the other? The "high" track is rarely very far from a drink- so no need to haul many liters of water- just nice to ease you back into it.

Otherwise, go from Sheepyard, up to the lickhole track, camp at lickhole creek (5 or so k day 1), on day 2 leave the tents ( no vehicle access at Lickhole Ck ) and walk as far up Mt Darling as you're happy to walk, returning to your camp the same day. On day 3, retrace your steps back to the car. This is an all-weather access walk, it's rare for Mt Darling to have snow; and you'll have a great time on well-formed tracks, with awesome bush camps on water.

As always- let us know how you got on!

As north-north-west rightly mentions, this time of year sees a lot of areas still under the seasonal closures. But certainly not the ones I've mentioned here!

So if you're on the blocks rearin to go- neither of these walks will disappoint. I'd opt for the second one...

Safe Steps

WildLight

***/typed this one without the specs sitting in the car at Yulara campground... apologies and edits of the typos./***
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria