Central Cost Bushwalking for Kids

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Central Cost Bushwalking for Kids

Postby Kimmy Lea » Sun 01 Jan, 2012 2:15 pm

Being school holidays, I'm looking for a few options on the Central Coast with kids aged 4-6 :| . Short, nice destinations for picnics, something to see, maybe engravings or great views or swimming.... any ideas?
Kimmy Lea
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Central Cost Bushwalking for Kids

Postby Greenie » Sun 01 Jan, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi Kimmy,
These are just some of the one's I can think of, off the top of my head.
Girrakool, there is a picnic area, engravings and waterfalls. You could swim in the creek if you like.
Somersby falls has a short walk to the falls and the lower falls. I have seen people there with towels. There is a picnic area.
The Arboretum at Pearl Beach. Good little walks. You could have a picnic there next to the tennis court. But it would be better to go down to the beach. A good place to get a icecream for the kids. You can either swim at the beach or at the tidal pool.

Greenie
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Central Cost Bushwalking for Kids

Postby wildwalks » Tue 03 Jan, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi Kimmy

Greenie's suggestions are good ones.

Here is a link to some more walks in the area (sorted by length)
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking/general/search-for-a-bushwalking-track.html?keywords=&distance_from=gosford&distance_km_from=25&park=any&style=any&min_time=0&max_time=999999&trans_start=any&min_length=0&max_length=999999&trans_end=any&min_grade=1&max_grade=6&resultorder=distance+asc&min_climb=0&max_climb=999999&items_per_page=100&outputtype=std
Anything Grade 1 or 2 (the green circle) is fine with kids (usual need to keep a close eye on them)
Grade 3 (blue square with flattish track) is usually fine with kids, but you will need to be more careful with unfenced cliffs and other hazards. These are generally fine for kids and parents who have had some experience walking together. But pick a time that is OK for the kids.

Hope that is helpful

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Return to New South Wales & ACT