Best 2-3 Multi Day Hikes <3 Hours From Sydney?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Best 2-3 Multi Day Hikes <3 Hours From Sydney?

Postby Sydneywalks » Thu 21 Sep, 2023 5:47 pm

Hello fellow bushwalkers!

I've finished up at my current job a week earlier than expected, so have a week to do nothing. I'm thinking of doing a 2-3 day hike to clear my mind before starting my new job and as a mental challenge!

I'm wondering which multi-day hikes you would recommend for a first solo trip? I've done Mount Solitary, Murramarang South Coast Walk and costal path before, but have completed 100s of day hikes and am pretty fit, will be happy with 10-20k per day.

I was going to go to the warrumbungles but I think its just too far to drive solo (I am a brit and 6 hours is a lifetime of car travel for me!)
I also saw one suggested here (Kangara > Ti willa > Mt cloudmaker) but heard it was very overgrown currently, which I don't mind but as I am solo I guess the risk is a bit higher, was also looking at Mount Victoria via Victoria falls.

So was wondering if anyone had any further recommendations for something that's really scenic, a bit of a challenge, easy transport (will have my AWD car) good water source and a good one to do as my first solo less than 3 hours from Sydney, I will be using my phone & Garmin (watch) for navigation, also have water filter and purification :)
Sydneywalks
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Best 2-3 Multi Day Hikes <3 Hours From Sydney?

Postby Sydneywalks » Fri 22 Sep, 2023 12:06 pm

I'm now looking at the Castle track in Budawang, looks pretty great! https://www.alltrails.com/trail/austral ... peak-trail
Sydneywalks
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sandym » Fri 22 Sep, 2023 2:02 pm

Castle Mountain is a day walk, but there are lots of loops you could do around the Budawangs or in Ettrema.

You could walk in via Wog Wog and do the Corang Loop with an additional side trip up the Bibbenluke Valley to Mount Tarn. You could go in via the Red Ground track and loop around Quilties or go into Hidden Valley from Sassafras and climb Sturgiss. From the Alum FT you can go up a bunch of peaks as you loop around exiting via Red Ground.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 22 Sep, 2023 2:09 pm

Castle is a good option, but for 2-3 days you could add in Monolith Valley, Mt Owen and plenty of other options if comfortable with nav and off-track. Most people base themselves at Cooyoyo Creek, which is a nice campsite and has a spectacular lookout, but can also get pretty busy and has a healthy rat population - an alternative is to camp at one of the many camping caves (overhangs) along the north and west side of Mt Cole (there are other camp cave options but some of them are sensitive and won't publish details here). Routes to and from Mt Owen from the west (from the gap between Mt Owen and Cole) or the east (from Monolith Valley) can be quite vague... especially the latter where people have ended up lost as the route isn't obvious, so unless your nav is good probably best to stick to the main path through Monolith Valley and around Mt. Cole.

I suspect you're right about regrowth on Ti Willa. The Mt Victoria to Blackheath option is a good one though (there are a few routes to Blackheath from the valley, some of which may still be closed?), and the start and finish can be linked by public transport.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tgdavies » Sat 23 Sep, 2023 8:45 pm

Maybe this is too simple, but Hornsby to Brooklyn is a nice 2 to 3 day walk.
tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby crollsurf » Sun 24 Sep, 2023 5:58 pm

https://www.wildwalks.com/lists/multida ... ght-walks/

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SamD » Thu 19 Oct, 2023 4:13 pm

Warrumbungles would be quite disappointing if you are looking for a serious hike IMO. They are lovely but I think better enjoyed as a car camping weekend with some stargazing. The track is extremely sanitised and you definitely wont really feel like you are out in the wilds compared to all the other suggestions here.
SamD
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT