Budawangs/Morton NP multi-day walk - in Feb?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Budawangs/Morton NP multi-day walk - in Feb?

Postby Drew » Fri 06 Jan, 2023 10:18 am

Having never been to the Budawangs (or even heard much of them), an article in a recent Wild magazine has piqued my interest. My partner and I will be spending some time on the NSW south coast in February and I was thinking of trying to squeeze in a visit on our way up from Melbourne (driving via Canberra). The route described in the article is an in and out walk from Wog Wog campground to The Castle, walked over 4 days. I have two main questions:

1. Any options for a 3-4 day circuit walk in the same area? I've looked at a map and I can't see anything but doesn't hurt to ask!
2. Is February a stupid time of year to do such a walk? Does the slight elevation do much to moderate summer temperatures? Is there much shade? Is water availability an issue? An obvious summer alternative is the Snowies, but I'm keen to explore somewhere new.

Thanks.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Budawangs/Morton NP multi-day walk - in Feb?

Postby Xplora » Fri 06 Jan, 2023 10:34 am

A better option might be to start at Long Gully and head to Cooyoyo Creek. There is good camping at the start so you could get away early and climb the Castle on day one. Day 2 can be a Monolith Valley explore and Day 3 an easy walk back to the car. Nearest town is Narooma. It will be hot but Cooyoyo creek may have some water and there is water in Monolith Valley. Very much worth the effort.

Not sure where in Vic you are coming from but you could skip Canberra unless you have other business there. Just head up the Vic coast to NSW south coast. That will save about 2 hrs if coming from Melbourne. You could also climb Pidgeon House mountain on the way out. You can see it from Cooyoyo creek and it is only a short walk up and back (relatively).
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 06 Jan, 2023 11:10 am

Xplora wrote:A better option might be to start at Long Gully and head to Cooyoyo Creek.

Long gully is a good option, but not sure if it's "better". Going from Wog Wog means also visiting the Corang area (incl. the arch and/or cascades as a side trip), Burumbeet/Yurnga lookout, and can make a mini circuit (lollipop?) by going to Cooyoyo/Castle via 7 gods one way and back via Mt Owen (or vice versa). Actually makes a really good 3/4 day trip.

It is possible to do a circuit hike, eg. going down into Hollands Gorge from Crooked Falls, up to Folly Point and back via Mts Haughton and Tarn (and can cut across via Sluice Box Falls). Awesome country but would be a lot of scrub bashing and probably not recommended for a first foray into the area.

Xplora wrote:Nearest town is Narooma.

Hmmm... no, Batemans Bay or Ulladulla would be, if starting from Long Gully. Braidwood if starting from Wog Wog.

Xplora wrote:That will save about 2 hrs if coming from Melbourne..

Assuming you start at Long Gully, yes, but if going from Wog Wog then via Canberra would be quicker :)
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Fri 06 Jan, 2023 11:22 am

Thanks guys. Some good ideas there. Might be best to be flexible and see what the weather's doing. I'm not a big fan of walking in hot weather, especially in exposed, rocky environments - a backup plan of day walks might be wise.

I just saw a potential circuit that exists on a map if not in real life: from Long Gully follow the track upstream along Yadboro River, then climbing up onto the range, passing by Corang Peak to camp at Canowie Brook. 19km and about 1000m climbing - a decent day but most of it fairly easy walking if the track is good. Next day to Cooyoyo Creek, next day to The Castle and back down to Long Gully. This seems like an obvious loop, but the fact that I haven't come across it in my searching makes me think that the Yadboro River track must be horrendously overgrown or something.

We're coming from Melbourne, and our destination is Malua Bay (near Bateman's Bay). The inland route is faster than the coast route, although we might take the coast route for one of the drives if we can take enough time to stop at some spots on the way. Looks like Long Gully is about the same driving time (according to Google) from Braidwood and Batemans Bay, while Wog Wog is much closer to Braidwood.
Drew

Postby Xplora » Fri 06 Jan, 2023 12:39 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:
Xplora wrote:Nearest town is Narooma.

Hmmm... no, Batemans Bay or Ulladulla would be, if starting from Long Gully. Braidwood if starting from Wog Wog.

Very sorry, you are right. I was thinking of another trip. It has been a few years.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 06 Jan, 2023 12:56 pm

Drew wrote:ut the fact that I haven't come across it in my searching makes me think that the Yadboro River track must be horrendously overgrown or something..

Non-existent I think, especially since the fires, but haven't been through there so can't say for sure. Snedden Pass is an obvious route though so might be an off-track option if the regrowth isn't too horrendous, but would be surprised if you could get all the way to Canowie in a day even if it does "go"?

Re water, you shouldn't have any problems, even in Feb. Heaps around at the moment. The Budawangs are exposed in places but there's usually some shade to be found, especially on the forested slopes, in/around Monolith Valley, etc.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sandym » Sat 07 Jan, 2023 5:48 am

The Yadboro River Track was hideously overgrown 10 years ago and is not even a memory anymore. I would second starting at Wog Wog. Another possiblity is Wog Wog to upper Corang camp site and a day trip up to Tarn Mountain. The Long Gully campground is still listed as closed as is the picnic area so I don't know what shape that road is in. It's been so battered by heavy rain lately.

Or walk in via Red Grounds track and hike up Quilties or Round or Fosters. The bush is not that thick there and it is possible to make a loop with only light bushwacking.

If you are going to Malua Bay you might consider the new Murramarang Coastal Walk. It's not officially open yet but quite possible to walk from Maloneys Beach to Kioloa if you take the route over Durras Mountain.
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Postby Drew » Sat 07 Jan, 2023 1:39 pm

Re water, you shouldn't have any problems, even in Feb. Heaps around at the moment. The Budawangs are exposed in places but there's usually some shade to be found, especially on the forested slopes, in/around Monolith Valley, etc.

Thanks, good to know.

The Yadboro River Track was hideously overgrown 10 years ago and is not even a memory anymore

Thanks sandym - as I suspected!

The Long Gully campground is still listed as closed

Long Gully isn't listed as closed on the Morton NP website - or is it not actually within Morton?
Drew

Postby Drew » Sat 07 Jan, 2023 1:44 pm

you might consider the new Murramarang Coastal Walk

Could be a good option. I expect not much of a "remote wilderness" feel given it passes through towns, but the coast along there is beautiful so I'm sure it's nice. Looking at a couple of sources I can't see obvious campsites apart from close to Maloney's Beach (North Head and Oaky Beach sites). Are there other options for much camping or would you need to camp at drive-in campsites?
Drew

Postby sandym » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 5:40 pm

I can't keep up with NSW park closures. They are like underwear, changed daily. But currently, long gully picnic area and campground are listed as closed:
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/vi ... cal-alerts

But that does not matter as long as the Yadboro Road is open and I can't find any closure on that.

Yes, the Murramarang Walk is not as remote. It is designed for the walker to camp at the current vehicle based camp areas or in the local "villages." Interestingly, I"ve walked it, or the route, a number of times and you hardly see a person until you get near to the villages.
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT