K2K

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

K2K

Postby roopass » Sun 30 Oct, 2022 7:58 am

Since the weather has improved a bit, curious to know if anyone has done the K2K recently ?, what is trail like ?,.. looking at doing it soonish:)
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: K2K

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 30 Oct, 2022 12:04 pm

River height probably the most important consideration at the moment: http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDN60233/IDN6 ... .plt.shtml

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roopass » Sun 30 Oct, 2022 4:26 pm

Ok thanks WFBW
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 01 Nov, 2022 1:57 am

Yes, river height has been a bit of an issue lately. Back in September I walked out to Mt Cloudmaker and 100 Man Cave. Route was a little more indistinct that it was pre-fires but still able to follow it without too much issue. I'm not sure what the rest of it past there is like. I have heard though that the section from the Coxs River back to the fire trail near Mt Mouin is pretty overgrown in sections and much slower going than it used to be.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby roopass » Wed 02 Nov, 2022 6:22 pm

Tks All:)
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Fri 04 Nov, 2022 6:49 pm

the section from the Coxs River back to the fire trail near Mt Mouin is pretty overgrown in sections
Um - which route?
I can think of half a dozen, I am sure. That is not counting the ones I have not done yet.

But yeah, could be some scrub on some routes. Wild Dogs after all.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roopass » Sat 05 Nov, 2022 4:31 am

Thanks rcaffin!, the shortest easiest route I guess ;)
Actually my hiking buddy has a route in mind , not sure which one it is , could u recommend a route ?
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:35 pm

roopass wrote:Thanks rcaffin!, the shortest easiest route I guess ;)
Actually my hiking buddy has a route in mind , not sure which one it is , could u recommend a route ?
Most commonly used is yellow pup... then mobbs swamp to the firetrail just before medlow gap. Probs the path of least resistance at the moment, but id still expect scrub

Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roopass » Tue 08 Nov, 2022 8:58 pm

Thanks for that:)
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Sun 13 Nov, 2022 9:09 am

We’re going to can the K2K, might be best, my Ego was saying I can do it, but I think I would have struggled, we’re to do a shorter hike Dunphy’s campsite - Splendour Rock, return the next day , does anyone know if there’s much water source on this one ?
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tyreless » Sun 13 Nov, 2022 11:09 am

There was plenty of flowing water at Mobbs Swamp when I was there on Anzac Day. I can’t imagine it would have dried up since then.
Tyreless

Postby roopass » Sun 13 Nov, 2022 8:20 pm

Thanks Tyreless!
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 14 Nov, 2022 7:35 am

Keen to hear back on what the scrub is like around the wild dogs if you go... esp if you deviate from the usual Medlow/Mobbs route (eg. blackhorse, blue dog or up through the wombat run?)
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby puredingo » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 9:32 am

I’m going in soon, fat boy. I’ll let you know.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 6:48 pm

puredingo wrote:I’m going in soon, fat boy. I’ll let you know.
Awesome thanks mate

Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roopass » Fri 30 Dec, 2022 8:00 am

Like others have suggested, the overgrowth is bad!!
To avoid some of it, we went via medlow gap trail, 9k’s of easy trail walking, turn into bluedog ridge trail , then all hell breaks loose !, so overgrown all the way to the junction up to splendour rock.
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sskitmore » Sun 01 Jan, 2023 11:54 am

Just finished yesterday. Track is fine between Kanangra Walls carpark to Dex Creek campsite and the first kilometre up to the Gangerang Plateau. Then it's just bushbashing through passionfruit vine and regrowth for 10km to Coxs River, awful going. Took us 11 hours to do the 10km. From Coxs River up to Mobbs Soak, going is ok, track is a little overgrown but nothing that bad apart from the funal climb up the summit of Yellow Dog. From Mobbs Soak to Medlow Gap, lots of regrowth but an obvious track. You'll need the GPS (I find the OSM+ data is the best to refind the track if you lose it), and some gloves to help with the bushes!
sskitmore
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Allchin09 » Thu 05 Jan, 2023 2:10 pm

Thanks for the update sskitmore - I had walked out to 100 Man Cave from the walls last year and didn't find that section too bad, just that the track was fainter than usual. Let's hope the slow sections improve in coming years as the vegetation changes
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

Postby rachel_g » Mon 17 Apr, 2023 10:43 pm

We did K2K finishing yesterday.
My thoughts:
Kanangra Walls - Cloudmaker: much the same as pre-fires, a few sections where there is more vegetation along the sides of the track, but the track is clear until you get within about 100m of the Cloudmaker summit when it suddenly seems to vanish. If you hadn't been to Cloudmaker before then you should take care to get to the summit (assuming you want to get there).
Cloudmaker - Dex Creek: we didn't pick up much of a track until we were on the northern spur heading to Dex Creek, once on the spur we followed a track on and off
Dex Creek - Coxs River: clear track up onto Karrung Top. Then overgrown and slow through to the northern side of the 953 high point (1km/hour or less). 953 to Mt Moorilla Maroo is ok. Mt Moorilla Maroo to the next knoll where the ridge turns north is slow and overgrown. Sometime after we'd turned north we found a pad and followed it through to the eastern slopes of Mt Strongleg - the pad is through 3-4m high vegetation much of the time, so it's not easy walking, but is a lot easier than no pad! There's some open spots around Mt Amarina to have a break. There is still a pad around the eastern side of Mt Strongleg - you may need to hunt around for it. Strongleg Ridge wasn't as overgrown as the main ridge - much of the Hardenbergia seems to have died off, or has been flattened on the pad. We lost the pad only 80m vertical metres from the bottom and found ourselves caught up in passionfruit vine, but that was the only bad vine entanglement we had. It took us 6.5 hours (7:30am-2pm) from Dex Creek to Kanangra Creek, including morning tea and a couple of other breaks. I'd expect some fitter/stronger parties would easily knock 1-2 hours off that time, but less competent navigation/not finding the pads could add many hours.
Coxs River - Mobbs Swamp: track up Yellow Pup is fine, the fires didn't seem to hit the lower half, there's a couple of overgrown places close to the summit. Track between Mt Yellow Dog and Mobbs exists, but is overgrown (more over head high regrowth) so much slower than previously.
Mobbs - Narrow Neck: track is relatively open
There's now a full trip report/photos on my website (https://grindlay.org/2023/04/k2k-post-bushfires/) if you want more details.
rachel_g
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT