Access toward Ruined Castle Blue Mountains

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Access toward Ruined Castle Blue Mountains

Postby johnrs » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 9:35 am

Hi Folks
Does anyone know if the path out toward the Ruined Castle is open?
And the Golden Stairs?
I would like to return along it after an abseil descent from Castle Head off Narrowneck?
Thanks
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Access toward Ruined Castle Blue Mountains

Postby johnw » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 1:00 pm

That's very odd. I'm sure I read the other day on the park alerts page that you could now access Narrowneck via Furbers Steps and the Golden Stairs.
However today's update says that all of Narrowneck, Furbers and the Federal Pass are closed (as is the Ruined Castle track). Huh?
So I guess the answer is no based on that, but you might want to call them in case they've posted an old update in error.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sandym » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 5:10 pm

JohnW, could it be that we are in the middle of yet another massive rain event/east coast low and the closures are pre-emptive given the previous landslides, the ground is already saturated and it is currently bucketing down?
sandym

Postby johnw » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 5:39 pm

sandym wrote:JohnW, could it be that we are in the middle of yet another massive rain event/east coast low and the closures are pre-emptive given the previous landslides, the ground is already saturated and it is currently bucketing down?

Anything is possible but normally there would be commentary to that effect. Yes looks likely a lot of rain in general until Thursday. Bummer.
At this rate they will never reopen anything. Virtually every location in the upper mountains has been closed for months.
Not too much rain here so far but it's started coming down heavier now. Blue Mountains only about 3mm today. Parts of the South Coast appear to have copped a fair bit already.
Ground had dried out a lot in the past few weeks. I was really hoping that would continue given the recent BOM announcement that La Niña is over for now.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT