Trail Run From Dunphys Campground

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Trail Run From Dunphys Campground

Postby Ad0m » Fri 25 Mar, 2022 6:54 pm

We are going camping at Dunphys Campground soon and I’m looking at doing a 16-17km trail run on the Sunday while we are there. Does anybody know what the condition of the tracks are like at the moment? From what I’ve heard it seems like a lot of the trails are pretty overgrown. Also open to suggestion of what people think would be a good loop.
At the moment, I’m thinking any of the following:

- Up Carlon Ck and down Medlow Gap trail
- Up Bellbird Ridge and down Medlow Gap trail
- Up Ironmonger and back along Breakfast Ck and Carlon Ck

I’m reasonably comfortable with a bit of off track but ideally would like as much runnable trail as possible.
I’m also considering heading up Carlon Head and back down Taros but have heard mixed reports on the condition of the spikes/chain. Does anyone have any update?

Anyway, this will be my first time heading out in the Wild Dogs so any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Ad0m
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Trail Run From Dunphys Campground

Postby keithj » Sat 26 Mar, 2022 12:24 pm

Ad0m wrote:We are going camping at Dunphys Campground soon and I’m looking at doing a 16-17km trail run on the Sunday while we are there. Does anybody know what the condition of the tracks are like at the moment? From what I’ve heard it seems like a lot of the trails are pretty overgrown. Also open to suggestion of what people think would be a good loop.
At the moment, I’m thinking any of the following:

- Up Carlon Ck and down Medlow Gap trail
Down Carlons Ck is mostly not runnable, neither is up the ridges (Black Horse & CattleDog), but from Medlow Gap onwards is all good runnable F/T. Take leg protection - lots of nettles in Carlons.

Ad0m wrote:- Up Bellbird Ridge and down Medlow Gap trail
That's all firetrail & all runnable. There will be creek crossings. At Medlow Gap you can head S along White Dog F/T all the way to Coxs River (all good F/T) or head W towards Mobbs Swamp (& beyond) which is single track and about 50% is excellent running, although currently overgrown espec at start.
Ad0m wrote:- Up Ironmonger and back along Breakfast Ck and Carlon Ck
That's all single track (except first 1km) & was v. overgrown over Ironmonger (no trail visible) a month ago. Ironmonger Spur is mostly too steep/rocky to be runnable. Breakfast Creek & Carlons are not really runnable... espec at current water levels.

Alternatives that are currently runnable include -
- Bellbird Ridge then Mitchells Ck F/T N (possible loop back along Megalong Rd)
- Bellbird Ridge then up Carlon Head then run Narrowneck (& loop back via Taros or an offtrack via Black Billy Head)
- Six Ft Track W to Coxs or E to Nellies Glen. W to Coxs is excellent mostly single track running.

Ad0m wrote:I’m reasonably comfortable with a bit of off track but ideally would like as much runnable trail as possible.
I’m also considering heading up Carlon Head and back down Taros but have heard mixed reports on the condition of the spikes/chain. Does anyone have any update?
AFAIK spikes & chains are all good. But you will need a degree of confidence if its wet.

And check https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/vi ... cal-alerts - closures change frequently.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ad0m » Sat 26 Mar, 2022 1:07 pm

That is a huge help, thanks heaps!
Ad0m
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ad0m » Sat 26 Mar, 2022 1:20 pm

keithj wrote:
Ad0m wrote:- Up Bellbird Ridge and down Medlow Gap trail
That's all firetrail & all runnable. There will be creek crossings.

Sorry, just to clarify, I meant up Bellbird Ridge walking trail to lookout and then up to Black Horse Ridge but assuming this wouldn’t really be runnable based on your previous comment.
Leaning towards Carlons/Taros at the moment but will have a look at the other suggested routes.
Thanks again for the info, really appreciate it.
Ad0m
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT