Blackheath Clifftop Track - Opening of closed sections?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Blackheath Clifftop Track - Opening of closed sections?

Postby Avidbushwalker » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 2:54 pm

Good Afternoon All,

Following on from some discussion at the end of 2021, I understand part of the Blackheath Cliff Top Walk is now open - The Evans Lookout to Govetts Leap section. Does anyone have any insight as to when the section from Govetts Leap to Pulpit Rock (and Pulpit Rock) will be opened?

And is Pope's Glen section now open? I can't see any specific mention of it on the NPWS website - unless it's considered part of the 'Pulpit Rock track'??

I'm guessing there's still quite a lot more work to be done on the Govett's Leap descent? (And anyone have any insight into the decision to use the Horse Track as an alternate to Rodriguez Pass?)

Thanks.
Avidbushwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Blackheath Clifftop Track - Opening of closed sections?

Postby keithj » Thu 24 Feb, 2022 5:42 pm

Popes Glen is open from Dell St all the way to Govetts Leap car park... and from there track is open right to Evan L/O carpark... insurance has paid for a very good job on the steps & track, and new bridges.

However, the cliff top track (known to NPWS as Western Rim track) from Govetts to Pulpit Rock is currently being repaired. There is still not much regrowth after 2 yrs & erosion is an issue.

Pulpit Rock car park is closed 200m along Pulpit Rock Road - with high fencing going 20m into the bush either side. It will have new toilets and improved parking.

Govett's Leap descent is still under repair - apparently is still geologically active - think landslides, mudslides and rockfalls.

I've heard nothing new about Horse Track as an alternate to Rodriguez Pass. I believe that end of the valley (Govetts Gorge) is still closed from Acacia Flat campsite to Junction Rock & hence Govetts/Horsetrack/Rodriguez, so I doubt that any of those tracks down will be opened until they are all ready.... don't hold your breathe.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kymboy » Sun 27 Feb, 2022 7:42 am

As keithj said, the refurbished Popes Glen track is now looking very schmick indeed. They've really done a terrific job.

And on a side note, we walked the Grand Canyon a couple of weeks ago and it was spectacular with all the rain back then. I think I counted 8 or 9 creek crossings with water up to your knees over the stepping stones. It would be similar now I reckon.
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Avidbushwalker » Tue 01 Mar, 2022 1:38 pm

kymboy wrote:As keithj said, the refurbished Popes Glen track is now looking very schmick indeed. They've really done a terrific job.

And on a side note, we walked the Grand Canyon a couple of weeks ago and it was spectacular with all the rain back then. I think I counted 8 or 9 creek crossings with water up to your knees over the stepping stones. It would be similar now I reckon.

@kymboy - Thanks for the confirmation. I'll have to check out the refurbished Popes Glen track - I'm guessing its still scarred from the fires through there?

Aaaah, that sounds like quite an adventure. I might check it out this Saturday... SHhhh, better not tell the NPWS, it's one of the very few walks that are still open!!! :)
Avidbushwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Avidbushwalker » Tue 01 Mar, 2022 1:45 pm

keithj wrote:Popes Glen is open from Dell St all the way to Govetts Leap car park... and from there track is open right to Evan L/O carpark... insurance has paid for a very good job on the steps & track, and new bridges.

However, the cliff top track (known to NPWS as Western Rim track) from Govetts to Pulpit Rock is currently being repaired. There is still not much regrowth after 2 yrs & erosion is an issue.

Pulpit Rock car park is closed 200m along Pulpit Rock Road - with high fencing going 20m into the bush either side. It will have new toilets and improved parking.

Govett's Leap descent is still under repair - apparently is still geologically active - think landslides, mudslides and rockfalls.

I've heard nothing new about Horse Track as an alternate to Rodriguez Pass. I believe that end of the valley (Govetts Gorge) is still closed from Acacia Flat campsite to Junction Rock & hence Govetts/Horsetrack/Rodriguez, so I doubt that any of those tracks down will be opened until they are all ready.... don't hold your breathe.

Thanks for the detailed update @keithj - I'll have to check out Pope's Glen. I can confirm Govett's Leap L/O to Evans is great - the bridges are sturdy that's for sure. Except for the crossing over the top of Govett's leap still needed repairing last time i was there - the handrail was damaged ... Probably damaged from storm/fire?

It looks like they have been still working on the section from Govetts to Pulpit... yes, you can definitely tell the regrowth is slow. Aaaah, great news on Pulpit Rock too.. I can imagine it will be busier than ever, when its complete though!

Makes sense if the descent is still geologically active - especially with all this rain, hasn't really allowed for much progress.

Ok, let's fast forward 20 years and hopefully they'll be open again !!
Avidbushwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Avidbushwalker » Wed 02 Mar, 2022 12:43 pm

And just like that, the Grand Canyon track is shut as well :(:(
Avidbushwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jrg » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 8:49 pm

NPWS website is showing Grand Canyon as open but warning people not to cross creek crossings when flooded. Not sure what is on the ground though.
Looks like a lot of other damage from the rain - particularly around Wentworth Falls, and a landslide on Glenraphael Drive too. Again, not sure if short or long term closures.
jrg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Avidbushwalker » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 9:41 pm

jrg wrote:NPWS website is showing Grand Canyon as open but warning people not to cross creek crossings when flooded. Not sure what is on the ground though.
Looks like a lot of other damage from the rain - particularly around Wentworth Falls, and a landslide on Glenraphael Drive too. Again, not sure if short or long term closures.

Thank you jrg for the update. Yes, looks like it was shut and they've now opened it with a caution.

Yessss, hopefully most are short term closures...such a shame with the closures at WWF and now Narrowneck which was one of the few places still open...

Hopefully when the rain finally eases, repairs can begin and they can reopen all the closed roads/tracks/walks...
Avidbushwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Avidbushwalker » Sat 12 Mar, 2022 4:59 pm

Can confirm that Pope's Glen track has held up pretty well considering all the recent rain. Out of interest, would anyone be able to share what it looked like before the fires?

My favourite part was the completed section of the cliff track from Govetts Leap lookout to the Pope's Glen/Horseshoe Falls/Pulpit Rock junction. (It's closed from here round to Pulpit Rock.)

Out of curiosity, I noticed some track workers on the closed section. Do their hrs vary/they work on Saturdays? :)
Avidbushwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Avidbushwalker » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 9:02 am

keithj wrote:Popes Glen is open from Dell St all the way to Govetts Leap car park... and from there track is open right to Evan L/O carpark... insurance has paid for a very good job on the steps & track, and new bridges.

FYI, the Horse Track is also now officially showing as closed on the NPWS website due to probably being affected by the continual rain. :(

As a side note, has anyone been to Double Echo Point at Blackheath?
Avidbushwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT