Looking for advice - Colo River, Mount Townsend Wollemi NP.

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Looking for advice - Colo River, Mount Townsend Wollemi NP.

Postby damomcdermott » Fri 11 Feb, 2022 11:53 am

Hi all.

This is my second post, so I hope I'm doing it all right - feel free to let me know otherwise :D I am looking for advice from some Colo/Wollemi gurus.

I am planning a two night trip to Colo Meroo campground in March with another dad and our kids. We will be taking the short walk in from Upper Colo Rd. on a Friday evening so we can carry some extra gear.

Then Saturday I'd like to spend the day venturing upstream overland, then inflate some rafts and lilos and float/paddle/wade back to Colo Meroo.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I am thinking about climbing up the Eastern ridge of Mount Townsend (west of Colo Meroo), then descending down the Townsend South ridge and getting into the river at the bend. I've attached a very rough idea of the route.

Colo Townsend Ridge climb and lilo.jpg
Rough route idea, heading West from Colo Meroo

I have a few questions:

- Is it possible climb up the Eastern ridge of Mount Townsend from the river? It appears to be steep but have a fairly gentle approach.
- Is it possible to access the river from the Southern ridge or is it too steep at the bottom? (contours look very steep at the base, but happy to scramble).
- Is there a flat section at the bend to inflate lilos/ rafts?
- Has anyone been to Colo River recently? What is the flow like after all the recent rains?
- What is the approximate time to paddle/ float from Townsend Bend to Colo Meroo?

And finally if this sounds like a bad idea, have you got any suggestions of ways to hike upstream and paddle back down to the campsite as a day adventure.

Cheers.
Damian
Easy overnight hikes for tiny adventurers randomfootprints.com
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Looking for advice - Colo River, Mount Townsend Wollemi

Postby sodahiker » Fri 11 Feb, 2022 12:38 pm

Hi Damian

There's a book available on this website which covers the passes: https://fatcanyoners.org/2011/07/30/col ... nd-routes/
https://fatcanyoners.org/wp-content/upl ... -Final.pdf

Looks like you're talking about map 8, pass 35, described therein as "An easy ridge but steep and scrubby by the river".

Maybe try get over to Bob Turner's track? (disclaimer: I have never done this ridge)
sodahiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnrs » Fri 11 Feb, 2022 2:29 pm

Hi DmDT
All very steep around there.
Could I suggest liloing down from the Bob Turenrs camp site to Colo Meroo.
Very easy day and a half with camping available at the Tootie ck junction.
only a few rapids, lots of long pools and sandyglides, would suit children too.
Don''t go if the water is very high, there is a gauge here, Upper Colo http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/flood/greatersydney.shtml
Best wishes
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby damomcdermott » Fri 11 Feb, 2022 4:05 pm

Thanks sodahiker and johnrs.

The Bob Turners track option could work out, we have two vehicles so we could drop one at Upper Colo Rd and do a car shuffle. But we are hoping to travel light with daypacks instead of all our camping gear which is why I'm looking for a route to start and finish at Colo Meroo if possible. The kids are okay with steep ascents/ descents. We just climbed Ironmonger Spur last spring and have been dragged on a few other steep climbs - they canhandle a bit of scrambling but I want to make sure we don't do anything too dangerous.

I'd love to know if anyone has been able to climb up Townsend from the steep Eastern spur (there looks like a possible pass between the cliffs). But it isn't in the fatcanyoners book, so maybe a no go.

Has anyone started at Bob Turners track, then descended Townsend Spur and paddled from the bend to Colo Meroo?

Thanks again for the advice and knowledge.

Cheers
Damian
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bron » Sat 12 Feb, 2022 8:58 pm

Ive liloed from Bob Turners down to Colo Meroo.
It takes about a day from Bob Turners to Colo Meroo, then another day to the old Upper Colo Bridge.
The river is up a bit with all the rain at the moment so it should be an easy trip.
There is a large picnic shelter at Colo Meroo so there is no need to carry shelter, just the lilos and lots of mozzie repellant :wink:
Also it is not possible to leave a car at the end of the Upper Colo Rd as there is no parking.

If you are planning to do this trip I would be doing it asap - I would not wait until March or you might find the river is not navigable at that time.

Bron
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby damomcdermott » Mon 14 Feb, 2022 9:57 am

Thanks Bron.

Really appreciate the info regarding distances and time. I'm sure the river must be moving nicely at the moment.

I don't think we will rely on the picnic shelter being exclusively available and will bring a shelter just in case. Also, I'm not really concerned with the parking, I've been there before and there is room for a few cars just off the road.

We have booked the 2nd weekend in March and are busy until then so can't do the trip any sooner, what would make the river not navigable? Is it an issue with the water level?

Cheers.
Damian
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Sat 19 Feb, 2022 7:09 pm

My notes from 1999 for the East spur, reached from Colo-Meroo:

head up the steep spur to Townsend. The gully next to it is concealed, scrubby but definite; the bottom of the spur is a mix of monkey vine, lawyer vine and solid lantana. We went up it briefly, then followed the left side just above the river for about 50m until we could climb steeply through ordinary jungle to a cliff, then followed the cliff left (SW) until we could break through. This brought us to the crest of the spur above, from where the scrub was very light most of the (long steep) way to the top.

No idea what the scrub at the bottom is like now, but I doubt it has gone away! The main Townsend spur is tricky at the top but easy enough. Some rope might be advised just in case.

The S end of the main Townsend spur down to the water is steep and covered in vines, but we have been up and down it a few times. At least you can hang onto the vines! I think that going down one time I just sat down and slid in a semi-controlled fashion.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bron » Mon 21 Feb, 2022 4:30 pm

20210322_130152.jpg
Colo RIver from Colo Bridge
Did I mention the picnic shelter is large? Its more like a pavilion.
My only concern for forward planning is that its not possible to predict the water level at that time of year.
Check out this photo of the Colo River last year in March 2021, I also have similar photos from February 2020.
As far as I can tell the bridge is 18m above sea level, you could touch the water.
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 12:37 pm

damomcdermott wrote:We have booked the 2nd weekend in March and are busy until then so can't do the trip any sooner, what would make the river not navigable? Is it an issue with the water level?

If the river level is too high, then it can be dangerous. If the river level is too low, then there's no current, and it can be a long trip from Bob Turners to Colo Meroo.

Your original plan looked fairly challenging - if you haven't done much off-track walking in the Colo, then it can be pretty scrubby.

Certainly the Bob Turners to Colo Meroo option looks like a better one if the water levels are playing ball.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby damomcdermott » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 2:27 pm

Bron wrote:
20210322_130152.jpg
Did I mention the picnic shelter is large? Its more like a pavilion.
My only concern for forward planning is that its not possible to predict the water level at that time of year.
Check out this photo of the Colo River last year in March 2021, I also have similar photos from February 2020.
As far as I can tell the bridge is 18m above sea level, you could touch the water.

Thanks Bron - that is a great reference pic. I was in Colo last May and there was no access to the bridge as I recall. The water was really moving but not as high as your pic. I haven't been to Colo Meroo since the 2020 fires and was wondering if the picnic shelter survived so great to know it is fully operational in all it's pavilion glory :)

Cheers!
Damian
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby damomcdermott » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 2:37 pm

rcaffin wrote:My notes from 1999 for the East spur, reached from Colo-Meroo:

head up the steep spur to Townsend. The gully next to it is concealed, scrubby but definite; the bottom of the spur is a mix of monkey vine, lawyer vine and solid lantana. We went up it briefly, then followed the left side just above the river for about 50m until we could climb steeply through ordinary jungle to a cliff, then followed the cliff left (SW) until we could break through. This brought us to the crest of the spur above, from where the scrub was very light most of the (long steep) way to the top.

No idea what the scrub at the bottom is like now, but I doubt it has gone away! The main Townsend spur is tricky at the top but easy enough. Some rope might be advised just in case.

The S end of the main Townsend spur down to the water is steep and covered in vines, but we have been up and down it a few times. At least you can hang onto the vines! I think that going down one time I just sat down and slid in a semi-controlled fashion.

Cheers
Roger

Thanks Roger - this is exactly what I was thinking about. On the 1:25k topo map there looks like a break between the cliffs on the Eastern Townsend spur. Great to know it is passable in the right conditions. Do you know if Townsend was fire effected? I wonder if it will have a lot of scrubby new growth. Last Autumn we climbed up from Deep Pass Canyon into the Buggary Creek Canyon in the Western Wollemi, the fires had cleared a lot of undergrowth, but I think a year later it could be pretty difficult.

Thanks again.
Damian
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bron » Fri 25 Feb, 2022 7:51 pm

Damian,

I walked down Bob Turners track last month and also Canoe Ck & Hollow Rock track during the lockdown. Its pretty obvious that the fire did not go into the valley around there although it did burn across the tops, especially as you go further north on the Putty Rd.
Around Bob Turners its not fire affected at all.
The main thing that is noticeable is how much flood damage in the river there is, many of the sandbanks have been moved from one side of the river to the other. I know that the Upper Colo Reserve has not reopened since the flood and Somerset at Colo is not hosting overnight camps. I wont even mention the state of the Upper Colo Bridge.

Bron
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby damomcdermott » Tue 01 Mar, 2022 8:05 am

Thanks Bron - with the current weather we may need to take a literal rain check! I expect here would be trees and all sorts of mess in the river at the moment. I'll keep an eye on the water levels and news.

Cheers
damian
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bron » Tue 01 Mar, 2022 12:41 pm

Thats a good call Damian - the Colo river was about 3m but who knows what It will do this week.

March is always flakey for Rver trips. April is better and the water is still warm enough.
With the current weather forecast it wouldnt suprise me if we get our 3rd flood in the Hawkesbury in 3 years, alot of the low creek crossings around the district have been closed since last week and the SES have issued a flood watch today 12pm 1-3-22
Bron
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rcaffin » Mon 07 Mar, 2022 6:28 pm

My wife told me today that the Colo was at 15 m at the upper Colo Bridge (site).
1020.jpg
1020.jpg (109.51 KiB) Viewed 18575 times

It goes up and down. These kids wanted a very fast trip in 2010. I dare say they got it.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 07 Mar, 2022 9:04 pm

rcaffin wrote:My wife told me today that the Colo was at 15 m at the upper Colo Bridge (site).

Yes, nearly 16m this evening!
colo.png
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby damomcdermott » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 1:50 pm

Woah... might wait for spring... or next autumn! I hope everyone is keeping okay out there.
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bron » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 7:14 pm

Colo River in flood 7-3-22.jpg
Colo River in flood 7-3-22.jpg (58.51 KiB) Viewed 18344 times
At a river height of 16m, as posted by Allchin, the water goes over the Colo River Bridge deck.
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rcaffin » Fri 11 Mar, 2022 9:33 am

The problem would be getting your canoe past the bridge . . .

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby damomcdermott » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 12:19 pm

Hi all - resurrecting this post because I'm planning a Colo trip in the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone know what the condition of the river is like around Bob Turners to Colo Meroo? Waterways guide says 1.1m which is minimum.

https://www.waterwaysguide.org.au/river-levels

Any advice on whether that is navigable with lilos/ pack rafts from Bob Turner's track? Or from near Tootie Creek for a shorter trip.

Cheers.
Damian
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 6:59 pm

Some time ago, but I think we walked, mainly IN the Colo, from Bob Turners to the S end of Townsend. The scrub on the banks was . . . not welcoming. Then we went up T and back to the car.
Another time I think we walked from the S end of T to Colo Meroo, again IN the river.
Both need low water - which happens.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 9:46 am

Hi DMDE
All good but lilos a must
John
johnrs

Postby damomcdermott » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 11:46 am

Thaks Roger and John.

Good to know it's navigable with lilos. Also, it's sounding like Mt Townsend might be a struggle. One option I am thinking of is:

Day 1 - Car shuffle from upper Colo bridge to Mountian Lagoon, climb down T3 track to river and camp.
Day 2 - Inflate rafts/lilos travel downstream to Colo Meroo and camp.
Day 3 - Lilo/hike down river to Upper Colo bridge

Does anyone know if this is doable with the current level? An alternative is to hike out of Colo Meroo to the locked gate at Upper colo Rd (instead of the bridge).

Also - are PFD's & helmets recommended between Tootie Creek and Colo Meroo? Or are we past the rapids at this point?

Thanks again!
Damian
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnrs » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 3:00 pm

Heh DMDE
I have done this trip with primary school children a number of times from Bob Turners, camped overnight at the Tootie ck junction, easile down t Meroo then walk down to the gate.
The big rapids are not suitable for a lilo, the little ones are fine with no protective gear,
the main reason for the lilos is the length and depth of the pools, often with vertical and impassable banks.
Lovely trip that sees few visitors.
There are some cranks in the houses between Meroo and the gate, just ignore them.
John
johnrs

Postby damomcdermott » Wed 11 Jan, 2023 4:06 pm

Sounds like a great trip John, thanks for the info!
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby micmar22 » Tue 28 Feb, 2023 8:45 pm

damomcdermott wrote:Thanks sodahiker and johnrs.

The Bob Turners track option could work out, we have two vehicles so we could drop one at Upper Colo Rd and do a car shuffle. But we are hoping to travel light with daypacks instead of all our camping gear which is why I'm looking for a route to start and finish at Colo Meroo if possible. The kids are okay with steep ascents/ descents. We just climbed Ironmonger Spur last spring and have been dragged on a few other steep climbs - they canhandle a bit of scrambling but I want to make sure we don't do anything too dangerous.

I'd love to know if anyone has been able to climb up Townsend from the steep Eastern spur (there looks like a possible pass between the cliffs). But it isn't in the fatcanyoners book, so maybe a no go.

Has anyone started at Bob Turners track, then descended Townsend Spur and paddled from the bend to Colo Meroo?

Thanks again for the advice and knowledge.

Cheers
Damian

A one vehicle option would be to park up at Mountain Lagoon and walk down the T3 track. Then lilo down to Colo Meroo and return to the car via Mailes Ridge to Mountain Lagoon.
Mic
micmar22
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bron » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 4:53 pm

I have been down to Bob Turners last week and also camped upstream near Boori Ck in January.
The river is very appealing at the moment.
At the bottom of the Bob Turners track the flood movement has caused the sand to cover over the rapid directly downstream so there is no longer a rapid below the pool.
Most of the rapids are quite small with the exception of the rapid at the Wollangambe River junction. Most are easily navigable with a lilo, espcially if the level is about 1m.
Its easy to rock hop otherwise as the water is not very fast moving. i wouldnt bother with PDFs as the water is not normally very deep.
Your trip from T3 down sound good.
Bron
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby damomcdermott » Thu 09 Mar, 2023 2:50 pm

Thanks Bron,

We ended up doing a car shuffle between Colo Meroo and Mountain Lagoon for a two night trip camping near Tootie Creek on the first night and Meroo on the second night. The walk down the ridge was spectacular and the river was in great form. The level was still a little bit low in parts and I lost a sandal to the quicksand, but the experience was amazing. The rapids were pretty exciting for everyone (two sets between our campsite near Tootie Creek and Colo Meroo) and the kids had a terrific adventure floating about 9.5km on the Saturday. I will write a more detailed trip report soon, but here are a couple of pics for now.

IMG_1667.jpg
Campsite near Tootie Creek junction

IMG_1687 (1).jpg
Blissful floating after the rapids
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby damomcdermott » Fri 09 Jun, 2023 9:54 am

After two years of rainy summers, we finally got to do our lilo trip down the Colo.

Here's a more detailed write up of our adventure from Mountain Lagoon to Colo Meroo via T3 track:

https://www.randomfootprints.com/single ... lo-crusade

I also made a video about the journey and posted it up here: https://vimeo.com/834365053/2d6d16e84c

Thanks everyone for the advice leading up to the trip!

Cheers
Damian
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT