KNP Day Walks - 1 Guthega to CP, 2 Dicky Cooper Bogong

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

KNP Day Walks - 1 Guthega to CP, 2 Dicky Cooper Bogong

Postby johnw » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 8:19 am

Heading to Jindabyne for 8 days or so with mrs who doesn't bushwalk very far (and recently had a hip replacement).
So I'm planning to do a handful of solo day walks around the main range vicinity, an area I've visited many times before and know pretty well.
But I also have a deteriorating knee injury (resulting in lateral compartment arthritis), ultimately needs a knee replacement when I can schedule it.
When bushwalking atm I have to nurse it along, strapped up, as I strained it badly last summer doing the same thing.
Getting to the point, I'm trying to come up with a few ideas that are different or variations on what I've already done (which is quite a bit).
I'm comfortable walking off track around there, and know how to minimise impact in that environment, but also need to take care of my knee.
The new Guthega to CP track via Spencers Creek appears to be open looking at NPWS web site, although it says not officially open until March.
Can anyone confirm that it's OK to use now? I remember they were still working on it last year when I walked past.
I'm dreaming up a circuit where maybe I start at Guthega and go up to the Twynams from Illawong, come back down the main track to CP then return via the new track.
Also thinking about a trip from Guthega PS to Dicky Cooper Bogong return. I've been to Gungartan before but not up the other side of the road.
How difficult is it to go up from either Whites River Hut or Schlink Pass? And also I remember reading about some issues crossing the river at Guthega PS? Has that been fixed?
I'll test my knee on something shorter before I try either of these.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: KNP Day Walks - 1 Guthega to CP, 2 Dicky Cooper Bogong

Postby jonnosan » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 8:55 am

I did a hike a few days ago where I walked up from guthega power station to horse camp hut, left my overnight gear there and took the aquaduct trail to white river hut, then followed an footpad on the ridge south of the hut up to the rolling grounds then over the dividing range back to schlink pass. There is a track shown in openstreet maps which followed the footpad up to the rolling grounds but from there the footpad disappeared and I never refound it even though I was following the trace in openstreetmaps - I expect someone has just uploaded the walk they did not marked out a track that was on the ground. Anyway it was pretty slow and soggy crossing the rolling grounds to the granite peaks but once on the main range it was good walking and in places I followed an old 4wD track. The final descent from dicky Cooper to the road at schlink pass was slow and scrubby, maybe there is a track somewhere that I just missed.

I took the road back to horse camp hut and arrived about 10hrs after I had left - but was going pretty slow the whole time as I took way too much camera gear (which I ended up hardly even using). So if you travel light it should be doable as a long day from the power station. Plenty of water around including at the rolling ground.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Warin » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 9:19 am

jonnosan wrote:There is a track shown in openstreet maps which followed the footpad up to the rolling grounds but from there the footpad disappeared and I never refound it even though I was following the trace in openstreetmaps - I expect someone has just uploaded the walk they did not marked out a track that was on the ground.

You can check the data entries in OSM - see https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/32012 ... 6/148.3689

You can even contact them, if they are still around, and check their thoughts on the entry. Note that some paths are not 'visible' - e.g. along a beach. That does not mean that they should not be mapped... it is a judgement call.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 9:31 am

Warin wrote:You can check the data entries in OSM - see https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/32012 ... 6/148.3689

The OSM entry that I couldn't find any on the ground evidence of is actually this one https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/63520 ... 2&layers=C
I checked and there actually doesn't seem to have been a GPS trace uploaded before that route was created (unlike other tracks in the area where you can see at least one if not multiple GPS traces - including the track up from white's river hut to the rolling grounds). I will do as you suggest and contact the original submitter to find out their views.
jonnosan

Postby johnw » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 6:17 pm

jonnosan wrote:I did a hike a few days ago where I walked up from guthega power station to horse camp hut, left my overnight gear there and took the aquaduct trail to white river hut, then followed an footpad on the ridge south of the hut up to the rolling grounds then over the dividing range back to schlink pass. There is a track shown in openstreet maps which followed the footpad up to the rolling grounds but from there the footpad disappeared and I never refound it even though I was following the trace in openstreetmaps - I expect someone has just uploaded the walk they did not marked out a track that was on the ground. Anyway it was pretty slow and soggy crossing the rolling grounds to the granite peaks but once on the main range it was good walking and in places I followed an old 4wD track. The final descent from dicky Cooper to the road at schlink pass was slow and scrubby, maybe there is a track somewhere that I just missed.

I took the road back to horse camp hut and arrived about 10hrs after I had left - but was going pretty slow the whole time as I took way too much camera gear (which I ended up hardly even using). So if you travel light it should be doable as a long day from the power station. Plenty of water around including at the rolling ground.

Thanks jonnosan, sounds like a bit of an epic. Yes during lockdown we were following OSM map traces near home when we couldn't go anywhere else. Found the same sort of thing, no track, or only partially tracked. Interesting that OSM shows all the tracks that now seem to be missing on the official topo maps. I remember walking Disappointment Spur Trail many years ago and visiting the hut of the same name. They're no longer on the current topos or SIX maps but still clearly shown on OSM. I'll carry enough water for a long day but wouldn't risk drinking anything from the Munyang River. Side creeks etc should be fine. I remember reading somewhere that there used to be a trail from behind Whites River Hut up to the Rolling Ground area/Dicky Cooper, but it may have become overgrown?
Unless it's that extension of the trace you were following, which seems to connect to the track into the hut from Schlink Road. Anyway I'll have a think about what I might do.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jonnosan » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 7:01 pm

johnw wrote:I remember reading somewhere that there used to be a trail from behind Whites River Hut up to the Rolling Ground area/Dicky Cooper, but it may have become overgrown?
Unless it's that extension of the trace you were following, which seems to connect to the track into the hut from Schlink Road. Anyway I'll have a think about what I might do.

I am pretty sure that's what I was following on the way up from white river hut. From the start up until the ridge flattens out at the top there was quite a distinct footpad and sometimes bits of metal mesh with which I guess was once a road.
jonnosan

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 10:19 am

johnw wrote:Heading to Jindabyne for 8 days or so with mrs who doesn't bushwalk very far (and recently had a hip replacement).
So I'm planning to do a handful of solo day walks around the main range vicinity, an area I've visited many times before and know pretty well.
But I also have a deteriorating knee injury (resulting in lateral compartment arthritis), ultimately needs a knee replacement when I can schedule it.
When bushwalking atm I have to nurse it along, strapped up, as I strained it badly last summer doing the same thing.
Getting to the point, I'm trying to come up with a few ideas that are different or variations on what I've already done (which is quite a bit).
I'm comfortable walking off track around there, and know how to minimise impact in that environment, but also need to take care of my knee.
The new Guthega to CP track via Spencers Creek appears to be open looking at NPWS web site, although it says not officially open until March.
Can anyone confirm that it's OK to use now? I remember they were still working on it last year when I walked past.
I'm dreaming up a circuit where maybe I start at Guthega and go up to the Twynams from Illawong, come back down the main track to CP then return via the new track.
Also thinking about a trip from Guthega PS to Dicky Cooper Bogong return. I've been to Gungartan before but not up the other side of the road.
How difficult is it to go up from either Whites River Hut or Schlink Pass? And also I remember reading about some issues crossing the river at Guthega PS? Has that been fixed?
I'll test my knee on something shorter before I try either of these.
The new track to guthega was still closed at the CP end as of about 3 weeks ago but may have opened since then. Could call Jindy NPWS office to find out?

(BTW from what I saw it was less of a track and more of steel mesh walkway a la the kosi track from thredbo.... which I guess would be ideal for someone nursing a crook knee :), but a bit of a monstrosity nonetheless)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 9:05 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:The new track to guthega was still closed at the CP end as of about 3 weeks ago but may have opened since then. Could call Jindy NPWS office to find out?

(BTW from what I saw it was less of a track and more of steel mesh walkway a la the kosi track from thredbo.... which I guess would be ideal for someone nursing a crook knee :), but a bit of a monstrosity nonetheless

Thanks wfbw. I'm in Jindy now, staying about 3 min walk from NPWS. Started pissing rain not long after we arrived and forecast doesn't look promising. So I'll probably call in the there in the morning and suss things out. Yeah I saw that it was likely mostly raised walkway last year. But so was a lot of the main range range track where they've now diverted it away from the windswept feldmark around Mt Lee. Not my preference either but yep, the crook knee is a concern, so looping back from Twnam on something easy is attractive until I can get it fixed. I was limping back to the car last time after doing the circuit plus Alice Rawson.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 04 Jan, 2022 7:49 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:The new track to guthega was still closed at the CP end as of about 3 weeks ago but may have opened since then. Could call Jindy NPWS office to find out?
I called in to NPWS this morning. It is open, unofficially. You can walk it now, but they're not advertising it because it hasn't been officially opened yet and may be closed at short notice to finish off some of the work. Lady I spoke to has walked it and said it's a mix of walkway and hardened track. She seemed positive about it so I may give it a crack, weather permitting. Weather today turned out better than expected to so I did my acclimatisation walk up Mt Stillwell this afternoon, with a short exploratory along Kangaroo Ridge. Not the longest trip but is fairly steep. My knee thankfully held up.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sun 09 Jan, 2022 7:25 pm

So today the weather was great and I walked most of the new track from Guthega to CP. Turned back probably less than a km from the end. My bad knee started to act up so ditched my grander plan to go over the Twynams and return that way. The track is less of a monstrosity than expected. Overall I was pleasantly surprised and actually quite enjoyed it apart from my crook knee. There is one longish section of metal walkway. It's probably only a few hundred metres but seems longer. There are other shorter sections but mixed with hardened pad and semi paved track, similar to what they did with the main range. A lot of small metal bridges on the section to the Illawong hut. Completely different now to my vague recollection of that track from many years ago. The new bridge at Spencers Creek is impressive. But my main take from walking in both directions was the views along the Snowy River valley. Eventually great views to North Rams Head and Etheridge Ridge heading south. Wonderful broad look at Mt Tate and Tate East Ridge going the other way. Nice to sit here in the pub having a meal and few drinks to reminisce :). See whether the knee is up to something else tomorrow.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 10 Jan, 2022 5:36 pm

Sounds good, and good to hear it's not too overdeveloped. Certainly looked like it might be free from the CP end.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 10 Jan, 2022 7:56 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:Sounds good, and good to hear it's not too overdeveloped. Certainly looked like it might be free from the CP end.

As it turns out I went out to Twynam today from CP. Not quite Dicky Cooper but I could see it from there. Obviously I had to walk past the new track. Definitely open but it is a fair stretch of metal walkway to start at that end. I could identify the point I reached yesterday, which was much closer to CP than I realised. Lovely walk to Twynam today. Some years since I last went up there. Knee behaved itself with support from Ibuprofen and Voltaren cream (and two hiking poles) :). Met a family of novice MTB riders at the Snowy River crossing, trying to work out how to get their bikes across the stepping stones so they could ride "the circuit" :shock:. Thankfully I convinced them to go back up and ride up the summit road.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Mon 10 Jan, 2022 8:06 pm

Good one johnw. Looking forward to walking the new track so thanks for the update. I'm a sceptic but I think that Voltaren Cream actually does work to some degree. Hope that knee keeps getting stronger.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 7:51 am

crollsurf wrote:Good one johnw. Looking forward to walking the new track so thanks for the update. I'm a sceptic but I think that Voltaren Cream actually does work to some degree. Hope that knee keeps getting stronger.

Thanks crollsurf, definitely give it a try. I encountered quite a few overnight walkers with full packs using it. So it may provide some advantages if camping around the main range. The biggest concern will be that they will start charging for doing that sort of thing, as we've seen in other places. Unfortunately with zero cartilage left the ortho surgeon has told me only a new knee will fix my problem. Committed to getting it done this year sometime, Covid restrictions permitting. Yes, Voltaren and NSAIDS do seem to help relieve the symptoms in the meantime. Very frustrating now, I limp on getting up in the mornings. To add insult I discovered a blister on my left big toe this morning from yesterday's effort :lol:.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 3:16 pm

The Victorian forum area has a few threads that cover geographical areas such as the Bogong High Plains and Snowy Plains. Should there be a thread - possibly this one - dealing with KNP day walks?

Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 4:40 pm

Met a family of novice MTB riders at the Snowy River crossing, trying to work out how to get their bikes across the stepping stones so they could ride "the circuit"
Which is why so many walkers really detest MTB riders.
For a start, taking an MTB on that track is now illegal (afaik). It was briefly legal, many years ago, but there was too much erosion down some of the steep bits from locked brakes, and too many near misses between out-of-control bikes and walkers.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 7:22 pm

rcaffin wrote:Met a family of novice MTB riders at the Snowy River crossing, trying to work out how to get their bikes across the stepping stones so they could ride "the circuit"
Which is why so many walkers really detest MTB riders.
For a start, taking an MTB on that track is now illegal (afaik). It was briefly legal, many years ago, but there was too much erosion down some of the steep bits from locked brakes, and too many near misses between out-of-control bikes and walkers.

Cheers
Roger

I had no idea that it was ever OK to ride it Roger, yikes! Among other things I was trying to visualise them trying to pass others on the long section of (narrow) metal walkway they've put in just south of Carruthers Peak that now diverts the route away from Mt Lee. Then there's the very narrow footpad around the Albina high pass...I won't go on. Anyway I don't think this family had any ill intent, but could have done their research better. I'm usually very quiet but when I saw them I had to speak up. The father said he didn't see any signs at the top of the path from CP saying no bikes, and I suspect he could be right. Notwithstanding I pointed out that riding was only permitted on the summit road as far as Rawson Pass. Mum was grateful for the advice and said she'd only been riding for 2 days :shock:. Possible rescue averted apart from the potential track damage etc. I called in to NPWS in Jindy before we left and told them about it. Apparently it is becoming more of a problem. They're looking at signage as an upcoming project so noted it to check what may be needed around the CP precinct. BTW I'm not anti MTB. I mainly bushwalk but also ride on occasion, where allowed, albeit nothing very technical.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT