Great North Walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great North Walk

Postby Alice_22 » Sat 01 Jan, 2022 8:18 pm

Hi I am relatively new to hiking and would appreciate feedback. I am planning to walk the GNW starting from Sydney. I am Planning to do short trips over weekends with a friend. We have done the Six foot Track, the Coastal Walk in Roayal National Park and a few sections of the GNW in the Berowra National Park. We just completed the section from Hornsby to Mt Kuringai and although a beautiful walk the track at times was difficult to follow due to overgrown vegetation and fallen trees. I am familiar with this area and new where we were going, but is a little nervous once veering into the Brisbane Waters National Park. Is it common for the hiking trails to be so overgrown on GNW?

Feedback would be appreciated!
Keen to learn!
Alice_22
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Great North Walk

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 06 Jan, 2022 5:13 pm

Hi Alice,

All this rain has caused a number of fast growing plants to sprout/get bigger so some tracks have a bit more foliage than usual. Recent storms can also down trees.

From time to time national parks does clear the fallen timber.

Increased foliage is nothing to be too concerned about however a compass/map or a GPS can provide reassurance that your on track.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT