Advice about hiking AAWT Kosciuszko

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Advice about hiking AAWT Kosciuszko

Postby xpusostomos » Wed 22 Dec, 2021 7:26 pm

Over the Xmas break I plan walking Thredbo to Kiandra, and was wondering if anyone had advice. Firstly, what sleeping bag to take. I've got two, one is Euro-rated 9 degrees comfortable, 5 degrees comfort limit, and -8 extreme. The other is 700g heavier and rated -8 comfortable, -15 comfort limit, and -35 extreme. The weather data on Thredbo seems to indicate the lighter bag should be enough, at about 9 degrees low, but I realise this is an average. I don't think I'm going to die out there with the lighter bag, but might I regret not taking the heavier one?

The other question is what footware to take. I'm tempted to take some high quality Teva sandles... what with all the water crossings there seem to be.... the other options are I push through with GP style army boots through the water crossings... or just take running style shoes and take them off for water crossings. The possibility of snakes makes me a bit queazy about the sandles, but on the other hand, it's summer and they'd dry easily with any water crossings.
xpusostomos
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Advice about hiking AAWT Kosciuszko

Postby GBW » Wed 22 Dec, 2021 9:11 pm

You could be lucky and have nice weather all the way in which case the lighter option might do with the addition of warm sleepwear but personally a bag with a comfort level of 0C would give a bit more breathing space if it gets cold. I wouldn't wear the sandals or the army boots. Runners should do just fine as there's a lot of fire trail sections.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Xplora » Thu 23 Dec, 2021 5:09 am

GBW wrote:You could be lucky and have nice weather all the way in which case the lighter option might do with the addition of warm sleepwear but personally a bag with a comfort level of 0C would give a bit more breathing space if it gets cold. I wouldn't wear the sandals or the army boots. Runners should do just fine as there's a lot of fire trail sections.

Second this. And welcome to the forum. Lightweight runners will dry quick enough. Leave them on for the crossings.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Fri 31 Dec, 2021 6:35 pm

The weather data on Thredbo seems to indicate the lighter bag should be enough, at about 9 degrees low, but I realise this is an average. I don't think I'm going to die out there with the lighter bag, but might I regret not taking the heavier one?

And on the average, the lighter bag would be OK.
But the spread in weather up there is WIDE! We had sleet on Boxing Day once.

GP style army boots through the water crossings... or just take running style shoes and take them off for water crossings.

Boots are so antique. We don't wear them.
All I have worn for the last 10 - 20 years have been lightweight joggers, Volleys or KTs.

Cheers
Roger
(PS: have done full AAWT as well.)
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT