Extension of UXO area in Morton National Park

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Extension of UXO area in Morton National Park

Postby rwildman » Wed 10 Nov, 2021 2:34 pm

The old boundary for the UXO area in the eastern section of the Budawangs, near Sassafras and Tianjara has recently been changed to now take in the whole of the Little Plateau. In 2015, the NPWS conducted a survey to check for ordnance in parts of the park which were originally determined to be outside the Tianjara Military Training Area. They found enough evidence to have the boundary for the UXO area extended to the south now taking in such wonders as Gadara Head and Nyaityung Falls and the whole of the Claydons Creek area.
I am told by both the ranger and the NPWS website that going off track is now prohibited with the potential of a heavy fine! Whether this would actually happen is hard to believe but the law is on their side and if you do head off, say to Talaterang Head, then you are going off trail and are subject to this prohibition.
Please see the attached to see the area now subject to the UXO restrictions.
Attachments
UXO Area.PNG
Area now subject to UXO Restrictions
UXO Area.PNG (153.88 KiB) Viewed 6562 times
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Extension of UXO area in Morton National Park

Postby sandym » Wed 10 Nov, 2021 3:36 pm

Thanks for this update. It seems such a damn shame that so large an area is closed due to this UXO. One has to wonder why the need to keep dropping live amunition all over the place.

A couple years ago we paddled Shoalwater Bay area and it would have been fantastic to be able to walk up some of the hills and ridges there but you cannot leave the shore area.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby crollsurf » Wed 10 Nov, 2021 6:27 pm

Thousands have walked on that country over many decades and no one has been blown up. And their evidence is... but of course we won't be told that.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 6:55 pm

In between wars, the military should undertake a cleanup project.

It would be a big job, but it's the only decent thing to do. Other polluters are expected to clean up their mess.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby rwildman » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 7:11 pm

ribuck wrote:In between wars, the military should undertake a cleanup project.

It would be a big job, but it's the only decent thing to do. Other polluters are expected to clean up their mess.

I asked the Ranger about the possibility of this but she said that the land is now owned by the NPWS and as such Defence has no more ties to it. However, she said that Defence have helped them in many ways around this issue, like funding the survey they did and the cleanup of the Mt Bushwalker track, but overall, I agree with you. I think they should be held responsible and do the cleanup.
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FionaShedden » Mon 15 Nov, 2021 10:45 am

I tend to agree with crollsurf, so many people have walked the route/track out to Gadara Pt, and Ngaitung Falls, down Claydons creek etc and not sure what evidence theyhhave for this being a real risk!

This feels like just another excuse to allow the closing out of this park to me. I've never seen anyone official in this area, although I guess anyone overnight in the Mt Bushwalker carpark is likely to be in a prohibited area!

I can't see why big fines are necessary, just warn us all off and then let us take that risk if we are prepared to. Likely just as much risk ( or more even) of a tree falling on me, or slipping and seriously injuring myself as finding UXO.
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby FatCanyoner » Mon 15 Nov, 2021 12:56 pm

rwildman wrote:I asked the Ranger about the possibility of this but she said that the land is now owned by the NPWS and as such Defence has no more ties to it. However, she said that Defence have helped them in many ways around this issue, like funding the survey they did and the cleanup of the Mt Bushwalker track, but overall, I agree with you. I think they should be held responsible and do the cleanup.

It's absolutely false that current land ownership has any impact on Defence undertaking remediation. There's currently a significant clean-up of old chemical weapons shells occurring on the Newnes Plateau. The land in question is currently State Forest, but has just been announced will become a State Conservation Area (which is run by NPWS).

The difference is they are cleaning up a localised area where munitions were dumped, rather than a massive area where a small number of UXOs may exist. It is the logistical challenge, not the land ownership, that is the issue.

As for whether a cleanup should occur 80 years after the shells were fired, I'd say be careful what you wish for. The environmental damage that would be caused by a proper survey and cleanup would be massive. It would take massive land clearing and the bulldozing of roads to get equipment in. The cost and environmental impact would be staggering.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Return to New South Wales & ACT