Frank Walford Cave

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Frank Walford Cave

Postby GregG » Tue 20 Apr, 2021 9:11 pm

Well folks, I spent a fruitless few hours this morning looking for Frank Walford's Cave in the Medlow Bath area.... without being too specific I drove out to a point around 400m past the airfield then set out on foot over Mount Carne heading NE-ish along the ridge top then went SE-ish down the fall line to reach the top of the cliff line above Govetts Creek. The cliff line in this neck of the woods is quite convoluted and broken by hanging swamps which in their present post-fire, post-deluge state are in fine form. I was basically looking for a pass in the cliffs to allow me to get lower down so that I could recce the cliffs from below for likely locations for the aforesaid cave. Long story short I did not manage to get any further down than the 840 contour. After several unproductive, leg-aching, disheartening descents and ascents I came to the realisation that my timing was all wrong: I should have been there about ten years ago when I could have thrown a lot more energy into the activity. Despite this, it was a great morning, the bush is recovering surprisingly well from the fires, I did get to see a few interesting caves, I did get a good look at a Blackhawk helo which was buzzing around, there was lots of Lambertia in flower and quite a few black cockatoos on the wing.
So my question is: can anyone give me any useful advice on how to find the cave? I know I could just persevere in hunting around in the general area until I find it but quite honestly if a shortcut is offered I will grab onto it. I understand that obviously PMs may be the best way to communicate to avoid putting this fragile place out there under the spotlight. Thanks in advance.
GregG.
Attachments
20210420_114117.jpg
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Re: Frank Walford Cave

Postby keithj » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 7:26 am

Looking at topo. I think the caves height is very slightly below 840m. Have a think about the requirements for a long-stay cave and look there.
Before the 2019 fires there was a rough track down the steeper bit through a prominent feature. When you get close there's a 1.5+ meter step down with a tree to assist at about the 850m contour.
It is well worth a visit.
Walfords.JPG
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GregG » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 8:40 am

Thanks Keithj, that is quite helpful, I will keep that info in mind when I go back.
GregG

Postby puredingo » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 12:20 pm

Who was/is Frank Walford?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 12:40 pm

puredingo wrote:Who was/is Frank Walford?

Blue Mountains local and historical identity.
From memory there may be some references to him in some books I have - Jim Smith and/or Andy Macqueen publications most likely.
See a short bio at https://www.austlit.edu.au/austlit/page/A24914
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GregG » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 1:03 pm

puredingo wrote:Who was/is Frank Walford?

Frank Walford was a locals identity for many years in the BMs. For a long time he was the editor/owner of one of the local papers, he was also mayor at one time, there is a park named after him in the mid mountains somewhere, Faulconbridge I think. More importantly he was one of the prominent names in the early days of rock climbing and bushwalking in the Blue Mountains, along with people like Eric Lowe and Eric and Eleanor Dark. Back in the 1930s the thing to do was to find a suitable cave, the more remote the better, and set it up as a camp cave for family holidays. Dark's Cave is probably one you might get to hear about but there are others.
GregG

Return to New South Wales & ACT