Shoalhaven Gorge

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Shoalhaven Gorge

Postby GHub » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 10:23 am

Can anybody point me to a good source of information about passes down to the Shoalhaven from the South, between say Split Rock Point and the Iron Pot track, and/or passes up on the north side anywhere down from Badgery's Spur?

I have a few candidates based on poring over the maps and satellite images, and collecting snippets from posts on this forum, but some track notes would really accelerate my learning process!

Feel free to PM me if there are routes or sources that you don't want to advertise to the whole world.

Thanks in advance.
GHub
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Shoalhaven Gorge

Postby clarence » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 11:52 pm

Only a handful on the N side- the main one being Funnels Pass. It exits on to private property, so a bit of a nuisance. There is a way up Bullangalong Ck, but it is a bit rough and slow.

Several on the south side including right next to Split Rock Point (E side), several options around Needles Pass. Another one at South Head (great pass but can be hard to find). Also Crisps Pass (which I've never done).

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby GHub » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 9:03 am

Thanks. Yes I've been looking at Funnels Pass and that big area of private land that is in the way. Bullangalang Creek looks passable but I suspect getting to the bottom of it, round the margin of the Lake, would be a bit of a pain.
GHub
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby clarence » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 9:05 am

Another one at GR376437 (old map grid).

Not pretty but it goes. Had a little cliff, but I don't think it needs a rope. Heads E-W along the ridge opposite Canoe Flat.

Access from caoura Rd used to be pretty good (all bush, not a lot of private property)

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby GHub » Tue 29 Sep, 2020 9:35 am

I checked out the Iron Pot Track (going up) and Merino Pass (going down) the other day. The latter was easy to find but slow and rugged going down the spur. I'll certainly be looking at some of the others. Thanks for those suggestions Clarence.

Also walking along the river was slower than I expected, because some high water has come down and pushed over a lot of the casuarinas.
GHub
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT