Multiday walks in Kosciuszko NP

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Multiday walks in Kosciuszko NP

Postby Alana84 » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 3:36 pm

With my Larapinta trip in August looking doubtful, I've been thinking of something I could do (post-COVID) that doesn't rely on an airline that may or may not go bankrupt. I thought somewhere in the Snowy Mountains area would be perfect as I can drive there from Queensland. Also, as far as I know, there are no restrictions on entering NSW from QLD. Hopefully that will all be over by November anyway. I've heard Jagungal is a great place to walk.

I'd love some help with an itinerary, as I've never walked in the area before.

• Start and finish at Round Mountain
  • 7 nights, 8 days, first and last days are half days due to travel
  • Would prefer to have the option of a hut at night in case of bad weather
  • Off track is fine, just not scrub bashing

I've found the NSW eTOPO maps to be a great resource but finding it difficult to judge distance between landmarks. Does anyone know of any online resources that can measure distances via an online map?

Thanks in advance.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Multiday walks in Kosciuszko NP

Postby Mark F » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 4:18 pm

The Snowy area has great walking possibilities. Just be aware that the area south of Kiandra almost to Jagungal was burnt in this summer's fires. I am sure Zapruda can provide more accurate info on the extent. You may be best to consider a loop out of Charlottes Pass or Munyang taking in the Main Range and with Jagungal as the northern extent of your walk. You could try doing a circular walk taking in all Australia's 2,000m peaks in your time frame as Jagungal is the northernmost and the Ramsheads the southernmost 2K peaks. There are several possible routes with minimal need for public road walking or retracing your steps. Happy to provide details if this suits.

For maps you can download the 1:25,000 topo maps for free from https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html which have a 1 km grid on them. View them in Adobe Acrobat on your computer or Avenza on your phone. Note that the url is different to the web version of Six mapping.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Alana84 » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 4:45 pm

Thanks Mark. I’d like to see that route if you don’t mind.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 5:53 pm

- Starting at Charlotte Pass climb Mt Stilwell (2054m) and continue along Kangaroo Ridge to Koscuiskzo Lookout and up to Rams Head North (2177m).
- Pack free walk to Ramshead (2190m) and South Rams Head (2052m) returning to Rams Head North.
- Return to Koscuiszko Track and head to Koscuiszko (2228m) climbing the high point on Etheridge (2180m) on the way.
- After summiting Kosci continue along the main range to Wilkinson Creek (good camp) and do a side trip to Townsend (2209m) Abbott Peak (2145m), Byatts Peak (2159m) and Alice Rawson (2,160m).
- Continue along the Main Range bagging Muellers Peak (2120m), Mt Clarke (side trip 2100m), Mt Northcote (2131m), Mt Lee (2100m), Carruthers Peak (2145m), side trip to Watsons Crags trig (2021m) to Mt Twynam (2120m) then Mt Anton (2000m), Mann Bluff (2000m) and Mt Tate (2068m) to reach the Rolling Grounds.
- Wander across to Dicky Cooper Bogong (2003m) and descend to the Schlink Hilton (hut) or Schlink Pass.
- From here you do a loop out via the Kerrys Ridge (high point 2050m) to Mawsons Hut and through to Jagungal (2062m)returning via the Bull Peaks and the Brassys to Gungartan (2068m).
- Drop into Schlink Pass and through to Guthega via either Munyang or returning over the Rolling Grounds and down Tate East Ridge.
- Climb though the ski fields to Back Perisher (2000m) and Mt Perisher (2054m) and down into Perisher Gap.
- Walk along the road to Charlottes Pass.

The starting point can be anywhere between Munyang (Guthega Power Station) and Charlotte Pass depending on inclination and what gets you to a suitable camp site on day 1. Camping is not permitted next to any road, the Koscuiszko Track, ski resort or in the catchment of any of the glacial lakes (Cootapatamba, Albina, Club and Blue Lakes) or below Charlotte Pass on the Snowy River. A good first day camp site is likely to be around Rams Head North. There are many subtle and not so subtle variations of this basic itinerary depending on weather.

You can do distance measurements on the online eTopo maps using the distance tool that is in the top centre menu of the map.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Alana84 » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 6:04 pm

Thanks so much!
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 May, 2020 6:47 am

Don't give up on the Larapinta too early. The NT is reopening their biosecurity areas on June 18. Fingers crossed.

Marks suggestion is a good one. November is lovely at those elevations. They days are warm and the nights are crisp. There will be plenty of remnant snow around to make the place look magical.

As for the fire damage, everything northeast of Mt Jagungal was burnt pretty badly in the fires. Tooma road, where Round Mountain trailhead is, will be closed until December according to NPWS. We lost a few huts in those fires in that area. Round Mountain hut, Brooks hut and Happys hut. If its your first time in the park I would avoid the burn areas, they are quite despressing.

This is a great tool for planning walks in NSW - http://maps.ozultimate.com/?lat=-36.177 ... 8279212865

With 7 days you could also do Kiandra to Thredbo along the AAWT or if you are fast, Tharwa to Thredbo, But I think Marks option is better.

Shoot me a pm if you need help with a car shuffle. Im likely to be up there.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Fri 01 May, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks for the suggestions Mark and Zapruda.

Yes, the Larapinta will probably be open by then but I’m doubting Virgin’s ability to get me there. Happy to be proven wrong though.

That’s such a shame about the fire damage. I’ll definitely avoid those areas.

I’ve ordered the book Exploring the Jagungal Wilderness and some paper maps so I have lots of planning ahead (my favourite part)!

My only concern is my tent is a duplex and I’m not sure if it’s ability to withstand the potential high winds in the area. Do you have any go to sheltered camping areas you’d like to share?

One more - where’s the best place to park at either Guthega or Charlotte’s Pass?
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 01 May, 2020 8:43 am

Alana84 wrote:I’m doubting Virgin’s ability to get me there

Yes that's my worry, or moreover the cost of airfares once this is all over, not just to Alice but everywhere. I think I'll be limiting all my walking to areas within driving distance for quite some time
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 May, 2020 9:26 am

Alana84 wrote:My only concern is my tent is a duplex and I’m not sure if it’s ability to withstand the potential high winds in the area. Do you have any go to sheltered camping areas you’d like to share?

One more - where’s the best place to park at either Guthega or Charlotte’s Pass?

I have used various UL shelters all over the alps for years, including the Duplex. They do as well as any 3 season tent when pitched correctly and in the right spot, i.e not on an exposed ridge or the middle of a valley. Correct stakes are key in that soft alpine soil. I like MSR Groundhogs for up there.

There are plenty of areas to camp, you will work it out when you are there. I am hesitant to share spots on the online.

Id say either Guthega dam at the Illawong track head or at Dead Horse Gap/Cascades carpark. Id look at avoiding the road walk Mark suggested and head back over the Rolling Grounds to form the loop. Why walk on the road when you can avoid it. There is also a good chance that part of the new "Iconic walk" will be completed and ready for use between Charlotte Pass and Guthega dam by then.

Roberts book is an excellent resource but I would use it as a rough guide. Part of the fun of walking in Jagungal are its big open spaces. In good weather its hard to get lost. A real pick your own adventure kind of place. I often just wander up there.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 01 May, 2020 9:41 am

Either spot is fine for parking, or Guthega as Zapruda suggests. I had forgotten about the new track. It really depends on the direction of the walk and where you want to get to on night 1.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 01 May, 2020 2:19 pm

Zapruda wrote:
Alana84 wrote:. Part of the fun of walking in Jagungal are its big open spaces. In good weather its hard to get lost. A real pick your own adventure kind of place. I often just wander up there.

Have been reading the replies on this thread and this particular one put a biiig smile on my dial and has set my mind whizzing and whirring with the possibilities.

I have 5 (!) weeks off in Sept/Oct when I was supposed to be walking on my own in the South of France for my 40th, before my husband flew over to meet me and we went to Spain. Umm yep, not happening. I am thinking of walking for 1-2 weeks now, as I imagine if my work (health) gets busy, I may have to relinquish some of my approved leave.
I am exploring various ideas of local (NSW) walks but am yet to settle on something as I want to be excited, nervous, thrilled and get to do all the fun research that goes with a bigger trip as I had down for my overseas trip.
I am adequate at navigating, but prefer not to have to think too hard about it when doing a longer walk on my own, I had thought any part of the AAWT would be a bit too complex...perhaps not though... :D :D :D

Alana84, sorry to capitalise on your own good ideas, but thank you for creating the thread! Seems like you are onto a great plan. I shall continue to watch and read with interest.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 May, 2020 2:38 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Zapruda wrote:
Alana84 wrote:. Part of the fun of walking in Jagungal are its big open spaces. In good weather its hard to get lost. A real pick your own adventure kind of place. I often just wander up there.

Have been reading the replies on this thread and this particular one put a biiig smile on my dial and has set my mind whizzing and whirring with the possibilities.

I have 5 (!) weeks off in Sept/Oct when I was supposed to be walking on my own in the South of France for my 40th, before my husband flew over to meet me and we went to Spain. Umm yep, not happening. I am thinking of walking for 1-2 weeks now, as I imagine if my work (health) gets busy, I may have to relinquish some of my approved leave.
I am exploring various ideas of local (NSW) walks but am yet to settle on something as I want to be excited, nervous, thrilled and get to do all the fun research that goes with a bigger trip as I had down for my overseas trip.
I am adequate at navigating, but prefer not to have to think too hard about it when doing a longer walk on my own, I had thought any part of the AAWT would be a bit too complex...perhaps not though... :D :D :D

Alana84, sorry to capitalise on your own good ideas, but thank you for creating the thread! Seems like you are onto a great plan. I shall continue to watch and read with interest.

Ms Mudd, let me know if you want any ideas. Sept and October are still very snowy even in Jagungal but there is plenty of scope to create a fun, play as you go route through the northern end of the park and Jagungal.

There is always the option to ski's or snowshoe :)
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Fri 01 May, 2020 3:13 pm

Mark F wrote:- Starting at Charlotte Pass climb Mt Stilwell (2054m) and continue along Kangaroo Ridge to Koscuiskzo Lookout and up to Rams Head North (2177m).
- Pack free walk to Ramshead (2190m) and South Rams Head (2052m) returning to Rams Head North.
- Return to Koscuiszko Track and head to Koscuiszko (2228m) climbing the high point on Etheridge (2180m) on the way.
- After summiting Kosci continue along the main range to Wilkinson Creek (good camp) and do a side trip to Townsend (2209m) Abbott Peak (2145m), Byatts Peak (2159m) and Alice Rawson (2,160m).
- Continue along the Main Range bagging Muellers Peak (2120m), Mt Clarke (side trip 2100m), Mt Northcote (2131m), Mt Lee (2100m), Carruthers Peak (2145m), side trip to Watsons Crags trig (2021m) to Mt Twynam (2120m) then Mt Anton (2000m), Mann Bluff (2000m) and Mt Tate (2068m) to reach the Rolling Grounds.
- Wander across to Dicky Cooper Bogong (2003m) and descend to the Schlink Hilton (hut) or Schlink Pass.
- From here you do a loop out via the Kerrys Ridge (high point 2050m) to Mawsons Hut and through to Jagungal (2062m)returning via the Bull Peaks and the Brassys to Gungartan (2068m).
- Drop into Schlink Pass and through to Guthega via either Munyang or returning over the Rolling Grounds and down Tate East Ridge.
- Climb though the ski fields to Back Perisher (2000m) and Mt Perisher (2054m) and down into Perisher Gap.
- Walk along the road to Charlottes Pass.

The starting point can be anywhere between Munyang (Guthega Power Station) and Charlotte Pass depending on inclination and what gets you to a suitable camp site on day 1. Camping is not permitted next to any road, the Koscuiszko Track, ski resort or in the catchment of any of the glacial lakes (Cootapatamba, Albina, Club and Blue Lakes) or below Charlotte Pass on the Snowy River. A good first day camp site is likely to be around Rams Head North. There are many subtle and not so subtle variations of this basic itinerary depending on weather.

You can do distance measurements on the online eTopo maps using the distance tool that is in the top centre menu of the map.

Just wondering how many days you would allow for the above route, Mark?
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 01 May, 2020 3:31 pm

Zapruda wrote:
Ms Mudd, let me know if you want any ideas. Sept and October are still very snowy even in Jagungal but there is plenty of scope to create a fun, play as you go route through the northern end of the park and Jagungal.

I am thinking of investing in some snow shoes this season,although here they would not see terribly much use. I was saying to another forum member the other day that I found walking in a good covering of snow utterly exhausting in a way that I couldn't have predicted. Until this Winter just gone, I stayed lower than the snow as I did not feel confident, but I tweaked my gear, got some gumption and had a great time on my own probably about half a dozen times in some decent snow (for us in the Barrington Tops anyway :lol: ) in July/August. Nothing compared to what you guys would get down south though- so Northern end of the park sounds like a plan to me. Should I start a separate thread so as not to clog Alana84's queries, or as it is related, keep pondering routes and gear here?
I am assuming if a Zpacks Duplex is okay, than my XMid with appropriate site selection would go okay too? I do have a 2p Marmot Fortress that I use when one of the kids is with me, but other than a solid inner and plenty of places to guy it out, nothing about it makes it more favourable/solid than the Xmid I think.

See, your simple comment that I quoted above has started something- THIS idea is exciting me and is one I would be excited to commit to, COVID situation allowing of course.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Fri 01 May, 2020 3:39 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Zapruda wrote:

No worries. The more, the merrier! I agree, it looks like such a beautiful place to walk, I don’t know why u didn’t think of it earlier! If you have any routes in mind please feel free to post them here as I would love to read them too.

Also, I’m seriously considering buying an xmid. Looks like such a great tent for the price. You can never have too many tents right?
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 May, 2020 3:43 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Zapruda wrote:

I am thinking of investing in some snow shoes this season,although here they would not see terribly much use. I was saying to another forum member the other day that I found walking in a good covering of snow utterly exhausting in a way that I couldn't have predicted. Until this Winter just gone, I stayed lower than the snow as I did not feel confident, but I tweaked my gear, got some gumption and had a great time on my own probably about half a dozen times in some decent snow (for us in the Barrington Tops anyway :lol: ) in July/August. Nothing compared to what you guys would get down south though- so Northern end of the park sounds like a plan to me. Should I start a separate thread so as not to clog Alana84's queries, or as it is related, keep pondering routes and gear here?
I am assuming if a Zpacks Duplex is okay, than my XMid with appropriate site selection would go okay too? I do have a 2p Marmot Fortress that I use when one of the kids is with me, but other than a solid inner and plenty of places to guy it out, nothing about it makes it more favourable/solid than the Xmid I think.

See, your simple comment that I quoted above has started something- THIS idea is exciting me and is one I would be excited to commit to, COVID situation allowing of course.

In light of this horrible thing and all our trips bring cancelled, it’s great to finally start planning something again.

If Alana doesn’t mind maybe we should keep all the info in here. I can change the title to Multi-day walks in Kosciuszko? It might be helpful considering all the changes to the park since the fires.

And yes, the xmid will do well. I don’t heed my own advice and had stupidly setup my xmid on a ridge at 2000m during the worst thunderstorm I can remember and it held up fine.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Fri 01 May, 2020 3:51 pm

In light of this horrible thing and all our trips bring cancelled, it’s great to finally start planning something again.

If Alana doesn’t mind maybe we should keep all the info in here. I can change the title to Multi-day walks in Kosciuszko? It might be helpful considering all the changes to the park since the fires.

And yes, the xmid will do well. I don’t heed my own advice and had stupidly setup my xmid on a ridge at 2000m during the worst thunderstorm I can remember and it held up fine.

Perfect!
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 01 May, 2020 4:17 pm

Alana84- I had figured such a trip would be a bit beyond me, but hope has been sparked. So glad you started this thread.

Zapruda, I don't know enough about the area or walks yet to have any real questions beyond basic gear suitability...yet. I am hoping work is not too crazy tonight and I can sit and do some reading with a cup of tea and hit you with some questions. I just have an upright canister stove (soto amicus) hopefully would be up to the potentially snowy conditions, has worked ok up here, but again you Southerners are way more extreme. Like pitching your XMid in wild places extreme ;-)
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 May, 2020 4:24 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Alana84- I had figured such a trip would be a bit beyond me, but hope has been sparked. So glad you started this thread.

Zapruda, I don't know enough about the area or walks yet to have any real questions beyond basic gear suitability...yet. I am hoping work is not too crazy tonight and I can sit and do some reading with a cup of tea and hit you with some questions. I just have an upright canister stove (soto amicus) hopefully would be up to the potentially snowy conditions, has worked ok up here, but again you Southerners are way more extreme. Like pitching your XMid in wild places extreme ;-)

You’ll find the further south you go in this country the more us bushwalkers exaggerate our “extremes” ;)

Take your time. Always happy to help.

The Amicus will do fine. I mostly use the Windmaster and it manages everything except long snow melting sessions. I imagine the Amicus will be similar.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 01 May, 2020 4:35 pm

Alana84 wrote:Just wondering how many days you would allow for the above route, Mark?

I have it planned over seven to eight days which is reasonably leisurely. For reference I am 70 and usually aim around 15km per day but on easy days can stretch to 20-25km
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 01 May, 2020 6:38 pm

If you have a 4WD then it's possible to get within about 40 minutes of Cesjacks Hut, which is 3-4 hours at most from the summit of Jagungal. In this region there's a lot of relatively easy off-track walking, with Mawsons, Valentine, Grey Mare, SMC and O'Keefes Huts to hide in. If the creeks and rivers are high a route should be chosen to avoid crossing too far downstream. Munyang is probably the best entry point as it's possible to go westish to the Rolling Ground and Tate, then north to Schlink Pass and make your way north either via Schlink Hilton or east over Gungartan to Tin Hut. The scrub is mainly light alpine, if slow in places, and there are many more campsites than on the Main Range. The water quality is probably better as well, although water at some huts may be suss. Some parts require careful navigation, such as descending from the Dicky Cooper ridge (start by going south-east then curve northish) and climbing Gungartan from Schlink Pass (go south-east then curve northish). These two routes avoid rock fields.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Alana84 » Fri 01 May, 2020 8:04 pm

So I made up a quick route using Mark's suggestion as a starting point, adding in a few variations.

http://maps.ozultimate.com/?lat=-36.427 ... 8326151476 Start and finish at Charlotte Pass. 130km Over 7 or 8 days. Could probably add in more km? Perhaps down to Dead Horse Gap?

There are some off track parts where I'm not sure which route is best, so I've guessed. I'm sure the best route will be more obvious when I'm actually there.

If anyone has any suggestions for alternatives to backtracking between Dicky Cooper Bogong and Mt Tate (without road walking) I'd love to hear them.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 May, 2020 8:14 pm

Great route. As you said, you will work out the micro navigation when you are there.

A few mall suggestions.

There is a rough track above Whites River hut so you don’t have to go up and down Dicky Cooper twice. I’d say take it up to the Rolling Grounds from the hut. It’s easier to find that way.

Instead of going over Consett Stephens Pass twice, head down the spur that drops you right on Guthega. We call it Guthega spur or Guthega Trig. There is a footpad to follow. As mentioned you might be able to take the New track back toward Charlotte Pass. It will extend the Illawong track southwest above the Snowy River.

There is a visible and easy to follow footpad down/up from the summit of Mt Jagungal. It starts at the headwaters of the Tumut River. I have drawn it roughly in one of the pics below.

I’d encourage you to spend a few nights away from the huts as well. They are beautiful and interesting but there is something special about wild camping in that part of the world. A feeling of isolation without the disturbances that huts bring.
Attachments
D2E0AE63-F8A6-4B22-B050-21FBDBEB40E5.png
EAF2DCD0-A484-4C1A-9EDC-BCF946387C0E.jpeg
11064E8F-5D87-47B9-BFE7-2DF6AFD50CDF.jpeg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Fri 01 May, 2020 8:37 pm

Zapruda wrote:Great route. As you said, you will work out the micro navigation when you are there.

A few mall suggestions.

There is a rough track above Whites River hut so you don’t have to go up and down Dicky Cooper twice. I’d say take it up to the Rolling Grounds from the hut. It’s easier to find that way.

Instead of going over Consett Stephens Pass twice, head down the spur that drops you right on Guthega. We call it Guthega spur or Guthega Trig. There is a footpad to follow. As mentioned you might be able to take the New track back toward Charlotte Pass. It will extend the Illawong track southwest above the Snowy River.

There is a visible and easy to follow footpad down/up from the summit of Mt Jagungal. It starts at the headwaters of the Tumut River. I have drawn it roughly in one of the pics below.

I’d encourage you to spend a few nights away from the huts as well. They are beautiful and interesting but there is something special about wild camping in that part of the world. A feeling of isolation without the disturbances that huts bring.

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was after. Perfect.

Yes, I will spend several nights away from the huts. Being from Qld, huts are a bit of a novelty and I got a bit carried away.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 01 May, 2020 9:24 pm

My recollection is different. From Whites River Hut the track that goes up to the Rolling Ground is on the near side of the ridge. The picture below taken from the hut show the Munyang Road at the back, the short access track to the hut. and the diagonal track going up to the Rolling Ground. It does not make any difference, and I agree about going up this track as the top may be hard to find.

Abandoned gear S.JPG

Once above the treeline the Tate-Dicky Cooper region is very open and easy to follow. There are campsite on the east side of Granite Peaks, but I cannot recall the details. The pictures below are near Dicky Cooper, typical walking for this section.

9837 Rolling Ground.JPG

9848 Rolling Round.JPG

At the baby Tumut River, last time I was there we went beside the true right bank (looking downstream) then straight up to the ridge. This is a bit shorter and a bit soggier in the lower section. The pad petered out where the ridge met the main part of the mountain, around 1850 metres. There are a few reasonably sheltered campsites in the summit rocks on the east side. We got water from the broad slope at about 1900 metres.

I agree about spending time away from huts. It's magic finding a good campsite, especially with a view. I suggest having a list of options, possible campsite, routes and a track notes. Then make an itinerary with the knowledge that you can be flexible if the weather or other circumstances dictate a variation.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 May, 2020 9:36 pm

Lophophaps wrote:My recollection is different. From Whites River Hut the track that goes up to the Rolling Ground is on the near side of the ridge. The picture below taken from the hut show the Munyang Road at the back, the short access track to the hut. and the diagonal track going up to the Rolling Ground. It does not make any difference, and I agree about going up this track as the top may be hard to find.

The attachment Abandoned gear S.JPG is no longer available

Once above the treeline the Tate-Dicky Cooper region is very open and easy to follow. There are campsite on the east side of Granite Peaks, but I cannot recall the details. The pictures below are near Dicky Cooper, typical walking for this section.

At the baby Tumut River, last time I was there we went beside the true right bank (looking downstream) then straight up to the ridge. This is a bit shorter and a bit soggier in the lower section. The pad petered out where the ridge met the main part of the mountain, around 1850 metres. There are a few reasonably sheltered campsites in the summit rocks on the east side. We got water from the broad slope at about 1900 metres.

I agree about spending time away from huts. It's magic finding a good campsite, especially with a view. I suggest having a list of options, possible campsite, routes and a track notes. Then make an itinerary with the knowledge that you can be flexible if the weather or other circumstances dictate a variation.

Maybe you are being a tad pedantic Lop. These were rough lines I drew on the map for someone to find themselves. Where is the fun if it’s all spelled out? The track up to the rolling grounds is more than obvious when at whites...

Once again, for the Jagungal approach, it’s obvious when you are there. I was just trying to add some context with lines on a map that I drew on my phone.

I probably could have been more accurate but it was a quick mock up.
Attachments
F9B0E448-EC4C-4C70-A4EC-9A9CBD0DFC0C.jpeg
5DB6ABF1-E32E-4139-901C-A2D40891167C.jpeg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Fri 01 May, 2020 10:02 pm

Zapruda wrote:
. . . This is a great tool for planning walks in NSW - http://maps.ozultimate.com/?lat=-36.177 ... 8279212865 . . .

From my knowledge gained from your posts on this forum, I am sure this is good advice. Trouble is, I'm somewhat challenged when it comes to the topic of digital mapping. So I'm seeking guidance about how to use that tool.

Starting from the most basic level, can someone please explain how to input a map onto that site? (As I'm reading it, the Help information is so minimal as to be utterly useless.)
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Fri 01 May, 2020 10:12 pm

peregrinator wrote:
Zapruda wrote:
. . . This is a great tool for planning walks in NSW - http://maps.ozultimate.com/?lat=-36.177 ... 8279212865 . . .

From my knowledge gained from your posts on this forum, I am sure this is good advice. Trouble is, I'm somewhat challenged when it comes to the topic of digital mapping. So I'm seeking guidance about how to use that tool.

Starting from the most basic level, can someone please explain how to input a map onto that site? (As I'm reading it, the Help information is so minimal as to be utterly useless.)

It works much better on desktop than mobile.

You have NSW topos overlayed on satellite imagery. You can adjust the opacity of the topos by using the slider on the upper right hand side.

On the left you have a few more options. The most useful one is the line tool. Select this and start drawing lines on the map. It gives you the distance between each click of the mouse. Very useful when planning routes.

Once you are done drawing your route, you can hit the chain link symbol and copy the link of your route to share.

Another useful feature is the pin drop tool. You can drop a pin on the map and name it for detail/reference.

Forum regular Tom Brennan created the tool. Thanks Tom!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Sat 02 May, 2020 10:05 am

Zapruda wrote:
It works much better on desktop than mobile.

I should have provided more information. I'm using desktop.

Zapruda wrote: You have NSW topos overlayed on satellite imagery. You can adjust the opacity of the topos by using the slider on the upper right hand side.

I select a map in the Search box. This loads a small red circle in the middle of the otherwise blank window. The relevant Lat and Long plus grid refs are displayed in a box lower RHS. Zoom in and out functions and the scale adjusts accordingly. With the Layers button, I can load and display a local GPX file.

But there is no trace of a MAP. Moving the slider has no effect. (Unless this is a satellite image on a very cloudy day.)

Zapruda wrote:On the left you have a few more options. The most useful one is the line tool. Select this and start drawing lines on the map. It gives you the distance between each click of the mouse. Very useful when planning routes.

Once you are done drawing your route, you can hit the chain link symbol and copy the link of your route to share.

Another useful feature is the pin drop tool. You can drop a pin on the map and name it for detail/reference.

Yes, I see all those with their titles as I roll-over via the mouse. But without a MAP, they are all of no use whatsover.

Zapruda wrote:Forum regular Tom Brennan created the tool. Thanks Tom!

Yes, I saw Tom's name mentioned somewhere on that site when I was forlornly looking for help. I recognised the name from having seen it on this forum numerous times. That's why I knew this had to be, as you stated, a good tool to use. So I'll add my thanks to Tom as well. Particularly if I can ever get to first base.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Sat 02 May, 2020 10:12 am

I’ve just googled vehicle entry fees for KNP. Do I have this right - $17 per vehicle per day or $190 for an annual pass? So if I’m going for an 8 day walk I’m up for $136 in entry fees?

Sounds kinda expensive to me. Is there an alternative? I was looking at parking at either Guthega Pondage or Charlottes Pass.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Next

Return to New South Wales & ACT