Wollemi NP recommended areas

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wollemi NP recommended areas

Postby Ender » Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:13 am

Hey everyone, Merry xmas & whathave you. I'm planning a camping/hiking road trip around Wollemi NP next month and just wanted to ask if anyone could recommend any areas that would be worth going to. 2WD access only. So far I've got-

Dunns Swamp
Newnes
Rocky Ck Canyon
Colo River

Also if you could recommend any areas in the Goulburn River & Yengo NPs I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you :)
Ender
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Wollemi NP recommended areas

Postby ferozious » Thu 27 Dec, 2012 12:18 pm

If you've never been to the Colo River gorge before then it is definately worth a visit.

There are numerous tracks down to it of varying difficulty. Bob Turners track is well signed and provides easy access. The route via Crawford's Lookout and Wollemi Creek is awesome (but make sure you get good info on the route).

There's a book by Brian Corlis titled "Passes and Routes of the Colo River" (or something like that) and it is very useful.
ferozious
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby FatCanyoner » Sat 29 Dec, 2012 10:39 am

ferozious wrote:There's a book by Brian Corlis titled "Passes and Routes of the Colo River" (or something like that) and it is very useful.

Totally agree. If you want to do any sort of serious bushwalking around the Colo this book is a great inspiration, although it is aimed at experienced bushwalkers. It costs $35 including postage direct from the author. To order one just send him an email -- [email protected] . I did a review of it a year or two back: http://fatcanyoners.org/bush-guide/colo-river-passes/
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby Ender » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks guys. Shall look into it :)
Ender
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kjbeath » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 2:36 pm

In Yengo Mogo Creek camping area is nice and gives access to the Old Great North Road. Goulburn River doesn't have a lot, except the Drip.

Personally, that country is the last place I'd want to go at this time of the year, it is just too hot. Barrington is much nicer.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT