Nattai NP: History of Fowlers Flat and Catchment Areas?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Nattai NP: History of Fowlers Flat and Catchment Areas?

Postby stravaig » Mon 29 Apr, 2024 10:27 pm

Did a walk from Ben Har to Fowlers Flat on the weekend, underneath the Wanganderry Walls and through the catchment schedule 2 area down to the Wollondilly river. Despite the double whammy of an out and back AND all fire trail, it actually turned out to be a nice walk!

There was an old rusted gate not far down W4C trail from the junction with W4, and fencing of about the same age/condition that ran alongside the W4C as it wound down towards the Wollondilly. Does anyone know if this is evidence of a homestead at Fowlers Flat back in the day, or is this just something to do with the Water Board?

On the subject of history in that area, I’ve also since found a 2005 Southern Highlands Bushwalkers report (Bonnum Pic Circuit) of which the last day is similar to my route; the amount of vehicles mentioned there suggests it was not schedule 2 back then, or that people ignored them en masse. I didn't see a (human) soul or a 4WD the whole day - I am pleased that things seem better now, both for walkers and the wildlife!

For those who have explored this area for longer than I, how much has it changed since the early 2000s (and the creation of the Catchment Authority)? Have the scheduled area borders changed over that time? What was it like to walk this area back then?
Attachments
the-old-gate.png
Old gate down on the W4c trail
stravaig
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT