Numantia Falls

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Numantia Falls

Postby kanangra » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 1:39 pm

A while back someone from this forum suggested that these falls were worth a visit and so I ducked up there this morning. A mate and I walked in from Faulconbridge on the Victory Track. At the junction with Sassafrass Creek a feint pad headed up Numantia Ck. which we followed easily enough. It led to the base of the falls which are quite pleasant and well worth the visit. Rather than retrace our steps we climbed up above the falls and continued up the creek. We then took a small creek on the left and ascended to an open rocky saddle on Sassafras Ridge. There was a feint track with some small tape markings. Here we walked east down a defined spur which brought us out at the junction with Sassafras Gully track. This was a very pleasant walk which I recommend. From there we continued down to Perch Ponds and went out to Springwood via Magdala Creek. A very pleasant way to spend the morning. Thank you for the tip whoever it was?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Numantia Falls

Postby Vern » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 3:00 pm

I might have to head out and have a look. Did you come back with any photos?
Vern
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby kanangra » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 8:30 am

Vern. No. :( But I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you go in and out via Faulconbridge the return trip takes less than 2 hours.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 11:34 am

kanangra wrote:A while back someone from this forum suggested that these falls were worth a visit.... Thank you for the tip whoever it was?

Well done K, I believe that was me in this thread http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=7467&hilit=+numantia#p96229. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the tip about climbing above the falls. I'll have to go back and try that myself.

Vern, I have posted a few photos in the gallery at http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9737#p128868 that might give some idea. After heavy rain I reckon it would be magic. As Kananagra said, it is a really easy out and back trip if you start from the Faulconbridge end of the Victory Track. Not signposted so you need to identify the spot to turn off up Numantia Creek.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 4:13 pm

Ah yes John that is it. Thanks. Incidentally there is more water going over at the moment than shown in your photos.

k.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkinTas » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks for that, I always love a good waterfall story and a few pictures. Has anyone up that way ever thought of putting together a list of NSW waterfalls? Do you know of such a list?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 01 May, 2012 1:00 am

walkinTas wrote:Thanks for that, I always love a good waterfall story and a few pictures. Has anyone up that way ever thought of putting together a list of NSW waterfalls? Do you know of such a list?

Never seen one wT. There seems to be a few waterfall sites online but usually only cover some of the major falls/photos. I guess we could always start a list here, maybe wiki based that people can add to, as per the Tassie list. Crikey, I wonder how many there would be. I can think of quite a lot with just those I've visited personally, and I reckon that would only be a percentage of the total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Vern » Wed 02 May, 2012 7:51 pm

Sounds like a great idea John. It'd give me some inspiration for places to visit.
Vern
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 03 May, 2012 1:48 am

Vern wrote:Sounds like a great idea John. It'd give me some inspiration for places to visit.

OK, on my to do list Vern. I'm already a Wiki author but haven't done anything there for a while so need to refresh my memory about creating new pages and so on. I just had a quick look at the code that walkinTas set up for the Tasmanian Waterfalls list. I can probably just copy that to make a start (minus the actual entries). I'll start populating it with my own NSW entries and anyone else with Wiki access can do the same.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT