Canberra walks

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Canberra walks

Postby DanielS » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm visiting my sister in Canberra later this year (probably around Sept-Oct). What are the best walks to check out while I'm there? There seems to be a lot in the area and I'm not too sure where to start! Probably would like to do a couple of day hikes and maybe an overnight.

Cheers!
DanielS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Canberra walks

Postby Tony » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Daniel,

A good resource for bushwalks around the Canberra region is John Evans Blog, if John has not walked and posted about it, it does not exist, but be aware many of his walks are off track.

I will think of some suggestions over the next few days

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby DanielS » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 1:50 pm

Wow that's quite a comprehensive list! Thanks. I guess because I won't be there for that long I'm after the 'must do' walks in the area.
DanielS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WarrenH » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 6:34 pm

Must do's, are basically every walk on Johnny Boy's list.

Or Nursery Swamp (primo).

Mount Morgan (an ultra primo summit). Done as an over-nighter, camp at Oldfield's Hut.

Shanahans Mountain walking track in the morning, then continuing (in your vehicle) to the Settlers Track in the afternoon (absolutely delightful, good tank water at all three huts).

Mount Tennent (compulsory and gains interstate visitors honorary Territorian status).

Mount Gudgenby (wildly worth it).

Or do a cycle ride (with a picnic in your backpack) into the animal enclosure at Mulligan''s Flat Nature Reserve going in on either the Trunk Road or Old Coach Road. Then exit via the Border Track on the Northern ACT Border. Or from the Border track when you reach Schistuss Ridge, go south along Schistuss Ridge, back to the Trunk Road. Or for a longer ride, you could enter Mulligan's Flat starting from one of the entrances on Horse Camp Drive at Gooyoorarroo Nature Reserve. Ride up the main trail of Gooyooyaroo into Mulligan's Flat (totally laid-back, you don't need an MTB, but an MTB would be perfect on the Border Track). Its très frais, poke fun at the wildlife, visitors find Mulligans Flat an unexpected experience for this region. If time is on your side, in Gooroo' dump the bikes and climb the big hill, take your camera. Late afternoon is best.

From the Mount Clear campsite walk into Horse Gully Hut, climb a ridge in the late afternoon, any ridge on the Booth Range, and walk out the next day (too easy but very nice indeed).

Another over-nighter is the Scabby Range. Australia's most pristine sub-alpine environment (being a mortal I'm not qualified to comment about the Scabby Range).

If you like odd formations to photograph in the bush? ... seek-out Legoland.

Cheers.

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DanielS » Sun 26 Feb, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks Warren, that is all great to know! I will let you know how I get on.
DanielS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WarrenH » Mon 27 Feb, 2012 3:34 pm

Daniel, you're most welcome.

On Johnny Boy's site, when you search the main names, Johnny will have several different walks to each of the places and often with maps included. If you take on Mount Tennent at the Namadgi Park visitor's centre, there is a free topo of the route and also a guide to the Settler's Track. Oldfields Hut is in the northern section of Kosciuszko National Park.

The Mulligan's Flat ride is something that I do with my friends when they visit from interstate. They tend to be cyclists not die-hard bush walkers and they always like the day and the excellent vista of Canberra.

If you strike bad days, weather wise, a car trip to Wee Jasper to see Careys Cave (along Mountain Creek Road and Sawyers Gully Road) is a good way to fill in a wet day. Sawyers Gully Road is 2WD. Then return via Yass, on the Yass-Wee Jasper Road for some great views of the eastern reaches of Lake Burrinjuck. For Careys Cave, ring ahead if you are not travelling on the weekend, to make sure the cave is open. Fitzpatrick Reserve at Wee Jasper is a trackhead for the Hume and Hovell Walking Track. Here you could do a walk to the summit of Mount Wee Jasper about 700m up and see several wilderness regions from the summit. There is a Ranger Station at Wee Jasper camp ground right opposite Fitzpatrick Reserve but there aren't store or service station facilities at Wee Jasper.

Have a good trip.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby odnuas » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 7:34 pm

Daniel

Echo Warren's comments. Two of my local favourites are the walk to Square Rock from Corin Dam Road and the walk out to the Cotter River from the Orroral Valley Tracking Station car park. Mulligans Flat is a terrific spot to walk in the bush through suburbia (it is half a km from my house).

David
odnuas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Wed 29 Feb, 2012 9:00 am

Agree that Gudgenby is deffinitely a classic. Fantastic views from the trig after hairy scrambles on granite slabs and hard going through thick regrowth.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT