Utah National Parks

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Utah National Parks

Postby sweetade » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 7:29 pm

Has anyone hiked in Utah? Planning a trip there starting in mid-September, 2 weeks max which will probably include Grand Canyon, north rim. Trying to get my head around an itinerary. Go to a small number of places, or do a longer "road trip" circuit?
If I just did Zion and Bryce, and a few days around Escalante am I losing out by not travelling further e.g. Arches, Canyonlands, Moab, Page etc. ?
sweetade
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Utah National Parks

Postby Pink Cap » Wed 07 Feb, 2024 5:41 pm

I was around Salt Lake City last August/September and I did some very good day walks. Not too many people around. Standouts were Lake Blanche out and back, various lakes off the Mirror Highway, White Pine Lake and Naomi Peak in Logan Canyon, Brighton Lakes loop. There are any number of day walks to choose from.

I have also spent time at Moab, but in winter. The town is nothing special and very overpriced. Arches National Park is truly wonderful and definitely worth a visit for 4 days or so. There are tons of day walks which vary in character. The park gets extremely busy and I believe entry is now rationed.

Also Monument Valley is pretty special and there’s a loop you drive around, stopping off for short walks. Not exactly hiking but the formations are in a spectacular setting. It’s a long drive from SLC, maybe 680 kilometres on a big wide highway.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Utah National Parks

Postby ribuck » Wed 07 Feb, 2024 6:31 pm

Arches is particularly special, if you do some of the longer walks. There are also a few places where you can pitch you tent overnight within the park, with permits obtained in advance.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to International