Daughters, Day Walks & Dogs on the West Tamar

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby wotrack? » Sun 01 Jul, 2007 9:40 pm

My baby girl is almost 4 and wants to go walking with daddy. She is obviously not up to big walks right now so for logistic purposes I need to combine encouraging her fledgling walking interest with walking the dog in places close to home. Does anyone know any great spots on or near the West Tamar where one can wander in the bush with reckless abandon, a daughter and a dog?
wotrack?
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 9:35 am

The only tracks I know of off the top of my head are Notley Fern Gorge and Holwell Gorge, but I think dogs would be bending the rules there, but...

Have a look at this thread about old Hydro Tracks which mentions a short flat walk into Four Springs. The guys who wrote into that topic may be able to provide more information (eg, on how welcome a dog might be).

If that one interests you, might be worth adding a query to that topic.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Tue 03 Jul, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Joe » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 7:34 pm

what about the supply river (i think thats its name...correct me if im wrong) track that takes you up to that old mill? Its been on my list of places to visit for that long im not sure why i havent dont it yet...heard good things.

I rekon holwell gorge would be ok with on leash dog...ive been through here heaps of times...and cant remember if there were signs there or not...i usually pay attention to that cause our pups come with us on lots of walks.

ps...is that you in your avitar wotrack?
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Daughters, Dogs & Day Walks on The West Tamar

Postby wotrack? » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 9:53 pm

Like Holwell although had a nasty run in with a family that assumed all German Shepherds are baby killers...
Supply River is a old favourite...
Truth about the Avatar is that it is actually a French Canadian mate of mine who looks a lot like me... I took the photo so I kinda claim it vicariously...wrong but hey Pelion East is in the background and is WAY closer to my backyard than his so he can stick it up his French ... nose!
BTW he would be laughing at this... but have lost touch which is really too bad...anyhoo
wotrack?
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Daughters, Dogs & Day Walks on The West Tamar

Postby Joe » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 7:41 pm

wotrack? wrote:Like Holwell although had a nasty run in with a family that assumed all German Shepherds are baby killers...

I've had people that consider the dog in my avitar to be a killer. Mates missus was scared stiff of her. :roll:

If its a shepherd stick a weird assembly of belts on her as a harness and tell people she is your vision impared assistant dog...she has to be with you ;)

after all...it worked for this bloke ;)

http://www.vanpraag.info/mlj/shady.html

(walter vp is a local devonportion...good guy. some good stories on that site too)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby wotrack? » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 8:52 pm

That is an interesting read. Can't help but like a guy who likes his dog. I am a little stunned that people thought your dog was gonna kill them but hey... he can't be that much scarier than mine. I had a servo guy move my car off the driveway once without even realising I had a 'killer shepherd' in the back. Why did you ask about the avatar?
wotrack?
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Joe » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 9:16 pm

in regards to your av, it was just a cool shot...caught my eye...im a fickle being, my attention easily being grabbed by shiny things :)

You are right about like people who like dogs...great quote i have in a coffee table book here:

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience."

- Woodrow Wilson
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby scubabob » Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:53 pm

Awesome. Nothing better than a dad and daughter doing hiking stuff. My daughter is now in her mid 20's and married so i am not a major part in her life anymore. When she was younger, our family went to the Grampians several times and had the most amazing times. Radios, cassette players (as they had then) and such were banned and there is nothing else to do there but walk during the day and sit around a fire and chat at night. Miss those times so much. Cherish your time with them while they are there, they grow up so damn fast.

We have one legacy at least, every year my daughter and i go to Mt. Donna Buang in my old Land Rover, eat sausages in the snow, get cold and wet, drink hot chocolate and come home again. We are resurecting our bushwalking too.
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wotrack? » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 8:37 am

I also like to hear of family hiking legacies. My folks were bigger campers than hikers but they definitely were the ones to show us the bush and I am really grateful.

I have taken my girl and the dog to Supply River and it was beaut. She is amazingly agile and loves to have a go which is really encouraging. The dog on the other hand is always too keen to have a go. He impaled himself on a stick and 12 stitches and a $350 vet bill later he is not happy about having to wear a cone on his head for a few weeks...
wotrack?
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Daughters, Day Walks & Dogs on the West Tamar

Postby Natt » Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:49 am

This may help

Edit (SOB): See 'Bushwalking Books' topic HERE

I have seen it at the local library too.

Oh I am not suggesting you buy it from this website - is just the best link I could find :lol:
Natt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania