Planning a walk from Lake McKenzie to Ada

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Planning a walk from Lake McKenzie to Ada

Postby prickle » Mon 12 May, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi

“We” are planning a flyfishing wander from McKenzie to Ada next Jan / Feb ... probably over 4 or 5 days. For those that have poked around up there what lakes are on the “must do list” where are the “must camp list” sites and what is on the “must take list”

No great hurry still 8 months away but will help starve off “Cabin Fever” over winter :D :D :D

Cheers

Stuart
prickle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Planning a walk from Lake McKenzie to Ada

Postby flyfisher » Mon 12 May, 2008 9:32 pm

We” are planning a flyfishing wander from McKenzie to Ada next Jan / Feb ... probably over 4 or 5 days. For those that have poked around up there what lakes are on the “must do list” where are the “must camp list” sites and what is on the “must take list”

Hi Prickle, it wouldn't matter which ones a person told you to look at or camp at ,others would offer different ones and probably all would be o.k.
I'll send a P.M. with some details.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 13 May, 2008 7:59 am

I'm no fisherman, but often walk with a keen fly fishing friend. We recently did a walk from McKenzie to Lakes Johnny, Chambers, Fox, Explorer, Snake, Halkyard, Nameless, Little Throne, (and others I can't remember the names of). You can see a few of my notes in this forum topic (from a non-fisherman walkers perspective). It's certainly a great area for walking - very pretty, and no end of lakes everywhere.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 13 May, 2008 5:25 pm

I have only walked from Lake McKenzie area to the Walls of J - and on the way are so many nice campsites - all over the place. Some may be more sheltered than others, some may offer better fishing and some may offer better views. Plenty of choice - and its best to find your own.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slick41st » Tue 13 May, 2008 7:36 pm

I have done this walk a few times,
I reckon that there are "must see" places to fish and camp, but I generally go for the larger fish, so as usual you see less fish but what you see and catch are very memorable.

I usually get the wife to drop me off at L Mackenzie, then collect me at Ada about 8-10 days later depending on exact route.

I have Memory Navigator (map software) here at home so if you want a detailed assessment then just email me.

If we get any rain this year then it is essential that for some of the trip you have to make sure you follow the old cattle track. If it is dry, as it is now, then it is not so critical.

Another good route is from the Walls to Ada, go through Zion Gate and start polaroiding through Powena Creek, but the fish are smaller the closer you get to Fanny. So the preferred route is down Bernes Valley, you have Ball, the unreal tarn at 44205366, Solvieg, Sonja, Sally, Ah Chees (tough), Silver, Antimony, some classic camping and fishing, but once again the fish are smaller than your chosen route.

Regards, Damien
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania