South Coast Track - "other" campsites

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track - "other" campsites

Postby jnik » Wed 20 Sep, 2023 12:21 pm

I'm after some intel on some of the lesser used campsites on the South Coast Track. Particularly Buoy Creek, but also Louisa Creek (as opposed to Louisa River) and Louisa Bay.

We'll be walking around South West Cape, having a rest day at Melaleuca, and then walking the South Coast Track in December.

I know that most people, after flying in to Melaleuca in the middle of the day, camp at Point Eric for their first night on the SCT.

But, as we're spending the night at Melaleuca we'll have the ability to start earlier than most, so I'm thinking of pushing on a bit and camping at Buoy Creek (not shown on the 2023 South Coast Walks map, but shown on OSM and some ealier maps).

It's been almost 20 years since I walked the SCT, so even if I had 100% recollection (which I don't!) I'm sure lots has changed.

The following day (Point Eric to Louisa River) is the longest day, so pushing on beyond Point Eric seems logical, assuming Buoy Creek is reasonable ... ?

TIA,
J.
jnik
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: South Coast Track - "other" campsites

Postby Letstryagain » Wed 20 Sep, 2023 12:40 pm

It's been some years since I've done this walk too but I've camped at Louisa creek after a long ish day from Melaleuca. It was ok.

Point Eric to Louisa river is actually only a very short day though only 2-4 hrs from memory. I went from Louisa creek to a high camp on the ironbounds in a relatively easy day.
Letstryagain
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Wed 20 Sep, 2023 1:45 pm

Buoy Creek is a pretty good campsite, and a fairly short walk from Pt Eric. The track through the flats from Buoy has been improved a lot and is now mostly raised decking until you're climbing the hills. There's time to visit Louisa Bay while en route to Louisa River; could even camp down there, it's a lovely spot.

Oh, and the longest day, timewise (as opposed to distance) is Louisa River over the Ironbounds to Little Deadmans. The descent on the eastern side is hellish, particularly in the wet. In reasonable conditions you have time for the short sidetrip to the Ironbound high point, but don't underestimate the demands of the descent.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Biggles » Wed 20 Sep, 2023 3:44 pm

The very mention of Louisa Bay makes me dewy-eyed. It is a long-remembered, high water mark for me (solo) on that walk, from the languid, calm evening soothing blisters on my South Coast trek in Sept. 1998 (good weather) and Nov. 2004 (foul weather), staying near the same spot immortalised in Peter Dombrovski's luminous, calming image of aboriginal middens and driftwood — the framed giclée image of that timeless scene from Cradle Mountain Wilderness gallery still in storage from my house move 20 months ago.

Is it possible to make Louisa Bay in a day?? It was a four day walk to Louisa for me, even as energetic and enthusiastic (and overloaded) as I was, but in truth, it was photography that slowed me down then, as it is doing again, now that I am retired and not in a hurry to go or be moved on anywhere! :lol:
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 20 Sep, 2023 7:14 pm

I've heard good things about camping at Deadmans Bay (Turua Beach) as an alternative to Little Deadmans Bay, although that would lengthen the already longest day of the walk.

When it comes to the final night of the trip, I think Lion Rock is a better spot than South Cape Rivulet. Flowing water instead of that brackish stuff at SCR, adequate campsites, and a more expansive view from the beach area. Will make the South Cape Range a longer day, but the last day will be an absolute doddle.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 21 Sep, 2023 9:03 am

L_Cham_67 wrote:I've heard good things about camping at Deadmans Bay (Turua Beach) as an alternative to Little Deadmans Bay, although that would lengthen the already longest day of the walk.

Turua is lovely, and it gives you an easier day for the trudge along Prion and wrestling wiith those ridiculously heavy boats at New River Lagoon. Means there's time to continue on to Osmiridium or even Surprise.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tazz81 » Thu 21 Sep, 2023 1:52 pm

Last time I did it I didn’t even bother with the boats just waded the lagoon at Milford Ck. The water never got higher than my balls. Cut out the horrid up/down dune section too! Weather/Rain permitting of course and I did a “dry” run first with no pack to make sure I wouldn’t drown.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 21 Sep, 2023 4:05 pm

Tazz81 wrote:Last time I did it I didn’t even bother with the boats just waded the lagoon at Milford Ck. The water never got higher than my balls. Cut out the horrid up/down dune section too! Weather/Rain permitting of course and I did a “dry” run first with no pack to make sure I wouldn’t drown.

You mean you waded the river mouth. Milford is just a feeder creek.
Crossing at the mouth is not always possible. Tide, swell and lagoon height all affect the possibility as does its position, which is subject to change depending on a number of factors.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jnik » Fri 22 Sep, 2023 12:55 pm

Great intel, and definitely food for thought ... thanks all!
jnik
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Wokeunicorn » Mon 09 Oct, 2023 9:26 am

Last week I camped at Buoy Creek. If you leave Malaleuca early it's an easy day. I think we left 10am and we arrived there 4pm.
I've camped there before. It's a very nice spot. However Eric has the better swim beach 'corner'. But also the crowds.
We didn't see another person for seven days. The beauty of off peak walking!
The amount of rubbish that some fools bring off the beach and dump in the campsites is disgusting. I recognised some of it from years ago. It's NOT taken out by the rangers. It draws mosquitoes in the stagnant water the rubbish holds
Wokeunicorn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby doogs » Fri 13 Oct, 2023 5:11 am

Wokeunicorn wrote:Last week I camped at Buoy Creek. If you leave Malaleuca early it's an easy day. I think we left 10am and we arrived there 4pm.
I've camped there before. It's a very nice spot. However Eric has the better swim beach 'corner'. But also the crowds.
We didn't see another person for seven days. The beauty of off peak walking!
The amount of rubbish that some fools bring off the beach and dump in the campsites is disgusting. I recognised some of it from years ago. It's NOT taken out by the rangers. It draws mosquitoes in the stagnant water the rubbish holds

I (mostly) disagree. There are groups who collect plastics from remote beaches year after year. The issue is that there's a lot of coastline to cover and not enough volunteers and boats to remove the detritus. Above the high tide line and in a visually obvious location would be better than in a campsite.. https://www.patagonia.com.au/blogs/roar ... f-tasmania
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania