Bay of Fires on my own

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bay of Fires on my own

Postby Pink Cap » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 11:30 am

I’m heading to the Bay of Fires next week, never been there, and I’m keen to do the so-called iconic walk but not with a group.I get the impression it’s a beach walk with some boulders to get over, is that a fair comment? I would walk from Eddystone lighthouse to Binalong Bay and probably do this as a series of out and back day walks, much as I did the Yuraygir coastal trail a couple of years ago. I have heard there are no water tanks at the campsites so water could be an issue and I thought it best to have my car nearby each night. So the itinerary would be Eddystone to north side Anson Inlet and back, drive around the inlet, inlet south side to the Gardens and back, Gardens to Binalong Bay. I’m finding it hard to get info because all my searches lead to paying walk sites. Apologies if I have failed to find a similar thread on this site.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Bay of Fires on my own

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 1:11 pm

I also searched for information on this a while back and found very little useful information. The best I found was a blog-style trip report which was moderately helpful at: https://www.gang-gang.net/nomad/tasmania/tas06.html

That trip report includes a day-by-day report of each stage of the walk.

Since then, I've walked most of it as an overnight walk and a day walk (well, technically, I overnighted on the day walk too, but it was not necessary). I have not done the section from Eddystone to Ansons, but have done Ansons (Policemens Pt) to Gardens, and Gardens to Binnalong (well, to Jenneret Beach).

As you say, it's mostly beach walking, with some solid granite sections. There are a couple of sections just North of the Gardens where it is all small-to-moderate sized rocks, and they are a bit awkward to walk on (called "Pebbly Beach", but I would call them rocks, not pebbles!).

Most of the Granite sections are easy to cross. On a couple of them, you need to head into the bush behind the granite, in which case, there are some vague pads that you can follow. There are also some vague pads that you can follow that are just totally wrong, and harder to bash through than it would be to just walk over the granite.

The beaches and granite coastline are beautiful, and well worth the trip.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Pink Cap » Fri 21 Jan, 2022 4:25 pm

edited to remove duplicate post
Last edited by Pink Cap on Fri 21 Jan, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pink Cap » Fri 21 Jan, 2022 4:25 pm

edited to remove duplicate post
Last edited by Pink Cap on Fri 21 Jan, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pink Cap » Fri 21 Jan, 2022 4:33 pm

Thanks for that; yes I saw that write up, it was the only useful info I could find.
I have spent the past week doing my walk and it was great. Just in case anyone is thinking of going there, and I would strongly recommend it, here's how I did it (I started further north than Bay of Fires):
Day 1: drove to Stumpys #4 campsite at Musselroe Bay and walked north to Cape Naturaliste and back - 11 kms
Day 2: walked south from Stumpys to Broad Creek, turned and walked back - 23 kms. Drove to Deep Creek campsite
Day 3: Because of the high tide at Deep Creek crossing I had to walk south first, so I walked to Eddystone lighthouse, back to Deep Creek and north to Broad Creek then returned to Deep Creek campsite for a second night 15 kms
Day 4: Drove to the junction of Ansons North track and Deep Creek Road which is 3 kms from the lighthouse. From here I walked the track to Baileys Rocks then the spit (Abbotsbury beach) to Ansons inlet, returned up the spit then stayed on the beach almost to the lighthouse where there is a track to the road and took road back to car. 20 kms This was far and away the best day. Drove to Policemans Point to camp.
Day 5: Walked almost to where The Gardens road ends and back to Policemans Point. Drove to this point and walked northwards to where I had turned back earlier, and back. 26 kms. Camped at Cosy Corner.
Day 6: Drove to Gardens road end and walked to Swimcart beach and back 18 kms. Camped at Cosy South
Day 7: Walked from Cosy South to Skeleton Rocks (beyond Binalong Bay) and back 14 kms
A lot of walking but the beaches are fabulous and it all feels very remote until you reach The Gardens.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby alanagh » Mon 25 Apr, 2022 7:47 pm

hello! We just came across your post. My friend and are in a similar situation. We intend to stay in Binalong Bay every night (Feb 2023). We wanted help with independent transfers back to our car, so we can get back to our private accommodation each night in Binalong Bay. We did the same when we walked the Cape to Cape in WA a couple of years back and thought this doable at this end too.

We are now thinking of hiring two 4WD so, both of us can drop a car at the end point each day and then drive our second car back to the start point and then start our walk from there.

Now you have done the walk, can you see any other way to organise transport?

I very much appreciate your reply as info here is light on the ground, so to speak.
alanagh
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Return to Tasmania