Central Plateau water levels

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Central Plateau water levels

Postby JaguarShark77 » Sun 28 Nov, 2021 10:40 am

Howdy guys, hope everyone's well and getting some good walking in before the hordes descend ...

Heading up to the plateau (Mackenzie-Nameless-Lady Lake) this time next week, pending weather, and crossing t's and dotting i's before we go - if anyone who's been up recently can tell me what the water levels are like at the moment (specifically Fisher River and Explorer Creek), I'd be most grateful.

Also, have read that cutting through the northern side of Snake Lake on the way down to Ironstone Hut is preferable to going via the southern edge. Is this right?

Looking forward to it. Haven't seen a whole lot of the area yet but what I've seen was amazing.

Cheers
JaguarShark77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Central Plateau water levels

Postby Gimped » Sun 28 Nov, 2021 12:15 pm

I had to double check the map, but yes, we have always gone the northern edge of snake lake when either tooing and froing from Nameless.
Usually not too difficult to get across the small creek at the northern tip of Snake.
from memory, on the eastern side of Snake where the waterway is we keep to the southern side close to the cliffy edges for easier walking.
Will be back up there early February...
Gimped
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby JaguarShark77 » Sun 28 Nov, 2021 12:53 pm

Thanks Gimped, much appreciated - reckon we'll be heading for that northern edge. Hope the weather and walking treats you well in February!
JaguarShark77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby teak » Sun 28 Nov, 2021 1:14 pm

The Hydro Tasmania website has info. on Fisher River levels, look under the heading water then water flows and levels Lake Mackenzie & Fisher River. Crossing the Fisher River is easy if the water flow is under 50 megalitres a day. (it's 40 now) They also have a lake level section to shoe how far from full Mackenzie is.(3.34 metres now) If Mackenzie is near full getting around the lake edge becomes difficult. Hope this helps.
teak
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby JaguarShark77 » Sun 28 Nov, 2021 3:30 pm

You rock, Teak, thanks man. Will be checking that website plenty between now and next week (and plenty of times after that, I imagine!).
JaguarShark77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 02 Dec, 2021 6:34 pm

There is an inland bypass if Mackenzie is too high to follow the shoreline. Not a bad little route, either.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby JaguarShark77 » Fri 03 Dec, 2021 6:47 am

Thank you so much, NNW. Forecast for the area looking a little ominous at the moment …
JaguarShark77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania