Ben Lomond Circuit Day Walk

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ben Lomond Circuit Day Walk

Postby RodH42+ » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 6:42 am

Is there a good circuit walk near Jacob’s ladder? I’ve heard people talk about one but have also read that the road is closed to walkers for safety reasons. Can anyone direct me to an on line description/link? Clear instructions on where to start would be very handy. Thank you.
RodH42+
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Ben Lomond Circuit Day Walk

Postby MrWalker » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 7:06 am

RodH42+ wrote:Is there a good circuit walk near Jacob’s ladder? I’ve heard people talk about one but have also read that the road is closed to walkers for safety reasons. Can anyone direct me to an on line description/link? Clear instructions on where to start would be very handy. Thank you.

The PWS website about Ben Lomond says "Walking up Jacobs Ladder (the road) is not permitted for safety reasons.".
You'll find this under the heading "COVID-19 Restrictions" :roll:

Interestingly they don't say that walking DOWN is not permitted. So you could plan your circuit to go anticlockwise. :)

The circuit goes through Carr Villa. Usually I get my wife to drop me at the top car park, near the ski village, and meet me at Carr Villa, so I have never walked the whole circuit. For a slightly shorter walk, you can start at a side track on the road 1.1 km from the Ski Village, bypassing the summit.

If you don't have anyone to move the car, there is a smaller circuit following ski poles from the Ski Village to the south (Little Hell Circuit Track).
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 7:43 am

"Walking up Jacobs Ladder (the road) is not permitted for safety reasons.".
You'll find this under the heading "COVID-19 Restrictions"

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
In exactly what way is the pandemic making it unsafe to walk up that road?

The track up to Legges Tor from Carr Villa is a great little walk. Goes through a good range of terrain and vegetation. Never had any issues walking back down the road; even TasPAWS staff have never questioned me doing it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby MrWalker » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 7:33 pm

north-north-west wrote:
"Walking up Jacobs Ladder (the road) is not permitted for safety reasons.".
You'll find this under the heading "COVID-19 Restrictions"

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
In exactly what way is the pandemic making it unsafe to walk up that road?

The track up to Legges Tor from Carr Villa is a great little walk. Goes through a good range of terrain and vegetation. Never had any issues walking back down the road; even TasPAWS staff have never questioned me doing it.

I mentioned the heading about Covid in case others had trouble finding it. However, there are several items after that which also having nothing to do with Covid (road conditions, ski tow, cafe). Maybe they really didn't want people to notice that item anyway.

Walking down the ladder should be much safer than walking up, since you will be on it for a shorter time and if you see a car coming you can hurry to the next bend, whereas going up it would be harder to hurry if necessary. :D
MrWalker

Postby JulianS » Sun 26 Jun, 2022 4:26 pm

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice about whether this kind of circuit day walk from the lower car park is feasible in winter (driving from/back to Launceston, same day). Would it be necessary or advisable to hire snow shoes in advance?

Also, what is the terrain like? How much of it is below/above the tree line?

Many thanks,
Julian
JulianS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sun 26 Jun, 2022 7:51 pm

I did it winter before last, albeit overnighting nearby. It's not a long drive from Launnie, but you should get an early start.

The whole walk is very exposed, so you need to be properly equipped. I've never used snowshoes up there but this is a heavier snow season than I've seen for some time, so they would likely be needed up top. Two years ago it was just ice with small drifts but it will be very different now. And whether or not you take snowshoes, take microspikes - there's a lot of ice on those rocks this time of year.
Basically, the track from Carr Villa does a little bit of gentle up through some light vegetation and the inevitable boulder field. and then a steeper climb up to the plateau, then gentle undulations across to the circuit track. There are marker poles all the way, but not necessarily always vertical.
Attachments
BL012 copy.jpg
Lower boulder field
BL027 copy.jpg
Near circuit track
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous