After some social media advice

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: After some social media advice

Postby grunter » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 6:15 pm

Rant! Not sure the right thread? Just watch a couple of YouTube videos. One on Frenchmans Cap and Cradle. This group didn't realize you had to book/register with parks, drone videos throughout and plenty of swearing and yahooing. They come across as a bunch of tools. Thank God I wasn't there near this group. Wish their videos could be taken down. It's not how you document your Tassie trip. Rant over.
grunter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 6:44 pm

I'd say send the link to PWS if there's drone footage, but sadly they don't really care.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby grunter » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 6:57 pm

Yes please ILUVSWTAS.
grunter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 19 Aug, 2021 12:00 pm

(hopefully someone has already asked) I'll pass them on to P&W if you can please send me a quick message with links grunter?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CBee » Thu 19 Aug, 2021 3:42 pm

Google maps and satellite imagery the greatest influencers. The rest is for amateurs.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby damothehawk » Thu 26 Aug, 2021 7:48 pm

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your videos Lucas - the fact that you are thinking about this at all shows you have a mature approach to the issue from the get-go. Your videos are a breath of fresh air, almost literally, providing a much needed contrast from all the uninspired clutter of the city buzz.

You seem to have reached a sweet spot in your level of detail imo, I think stating where you are is fine, and showing the view etc. You don’t commentate on every twist and turn, you basically attempt to capture the feel of the walk.. I don’t think that is something that needs to be kept ‘secret’ in most cases.

In terms of sensitive areas, I would definitely be… hesitant, and cautious. There is a balance that needs to be met here. You are not personally responsible for the actions of other people who may not care for the landscape, but potentially playing a part in minimising that impact is something to consider. Good on you for not posting the Tyndall video, that’s a healthy dose of hesitancy in you. If you ever were to post a video of a place like that, ambiguity and low detail and would be key. Your YouTube channel is not Tourism Tasmania, you’re not attracting the general populous to these areas… largely, you’re attracting a community already deeply interested in these places. You are not to blame.

Our draw as humans to solitude in the wilderness is both a good and bad thing. The more people are drawn to a place of solitude, the less solitude that place has. Areas of beauty very quickly become areas of escape, and from there become areas of noteworthiness, then areas of draw and areas of tourism… and then they are suddenly just another packed-out attraction.

Solutions. Here’s what I think. People are going to continue to be drawn to beautiful wilderness whether we like it or not. Let’s face it, we are those people and it’s easy to be selfish about it, like everyone else is the problem and not us. We have a right to go and explore these areas, but all these other people do not. Luckily, we have places like Cradle, sort of acting as a sacrificial blow. Its popularity will hopefully continue to draw casual walkers to this highly maintained area and away from the untouched spots.

This may not be a popular opinion, but here’s my 2 cents… if you are personally concerned about the level of visitation to an area, don’t go yourself. If you really want this area to be as free from human contact as you can, start being part of the solution by not visiting. This attitude of everyone else needing to change but me is downright selfish and unproductive. Those who think Lucas’ channel is part of the problem, be part of your own solution.
damothehawk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 27 Aug, 2021 5:34 am

You're right. That's a terrible suggestion.
Finding a balance where people can enjoy the wilderness while limiting their impact has to be the solution. In doing that education is probably the key. And limiting the information to sensitive areas on things like Insta and youtube. Have you noticed when a picture is posted on SM the amount of ppl who tag their mates saying "this looks great we should do it"?
So best way around it is when posting pictures or videos, keep it vague. Don't name the place. Just title it SW tas or something similar. Be responsible. People are sheep.

In the surfing community if you post a picture of a local break going off and name the location you are likely to get punched in the face.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Fri 27 Aug, 2021 1:10 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
In the surfing community if you post a picture of a local break going off and name the location you are likely to get punched in the face.

I'm not much of a fighter but I reckon I could windmill my arms a bit. I'd much prefer if you could recruit the surfers to do the punching.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 27 Aug, 2021 4:37 pm

Tough boys those surfers.

I've only watched the Black Bluff vid, years ago now. 'Least Offensive' did come to mind.

damothehawk wrote:Our draw as humans to solitude in the wilderness is both a good and bad thing. The more people are drawn to a place of solitude, the less solitude that place has. Areas of beauty very quickly become areas of escape, and from there become areas of noteworthiness, then areas of draw and areas of tourism… and then they are suddenly just another packed-out attraction..

So you missed out on what's the good?

Or defending the good, against Wilderness (given Wilderness doesn't really need any of us)?
Not as bad a someone else? Less superficial concerns than for someone dropping in on one's wave?

I've always thought we first need to appreciate just how ridiculous and impermanent it is to consider Cradle Mt. (or any Wilderness) 'sacrificial'. Not an astounding revelation, just a feeling. One for which we have a long way to go yet. Publicity may have saved these places but has long been just another contribution to impact.

Anyway. Maybe (Lucas) you could send your vids through to Parks a few weeks before publicising them? I'd send them to the local ranger IC. Get an opinion, or probably not, but at least attempt to encourage some care, and a service funded for caring (not just economy). Rather than just asking the opinion of us (other guilty parties..)?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Fri 27 Aug, 2021 8:53 pm

Remember driving to a surf break on the Eyre in SA in the 80s and some guy stepped out in front of the car with a rifle. Marty goes "don't run him over, I know him"!... long story short, the surf was *&%$#! anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby L_Cham_67 » Fri 27 Aug, 2021 9:47 pm

Thanks again for all the additional comments.
I think I've decided that from now on, I'll only be posting videos of places where there is a recognised track. I define "recognised" as anything shown on a map, whether that be hard copy or LISTmap. So the Tyndalls doesn't fit into that category, but something like the Mt Anne circuit or Reynolds Falls track would be okay. At the same time, I think I'll use my discretion a bit (e.g I've always said I won't make a Western Arthurs series, because that's a prime example of a location already suffering from high traffic).
ILUVSWTAS wrote:Have you noticed when a picture is posted on SM the amount of ppl who tag their mates saying "this looks great we should do it"?

Yes I have noticed this a lot, it's one of the reasons I started questioning what I was doing actually. It's why I no longer post any pictures from my trips to the main social media culprits in Facebook and Insta.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 28 Aug, 2021 5:14 am

Good for you Lucas.
For what its worth your videos are far less intrusive than some recent culprits have been.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lostsoul » Sat 28 Aug, 2021 11:37 am

I’ve deleted all my social media,Facebook and insta.Simplifying life
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: After some advice

Postby myrtlegirl » Sat 28 Aug, 2021 7:33 pm

Mechanic-AL wrote:I'm afraid you'll have to excuse the cynique in me Lucas but I cant help but feel that this is an attempt to garner support or validate what you do.

If you or anybody makes clips of your walks or enjoys writing up detailed trip reports to share with friends that is your right to do so and I personally dont have any issue with that. When somebody chooses to share their clips with the rest of the world I start to wonder why ? Are you seeking adulation from the wider public for your exploits. What is it that makes people NEED to do this ?

I wonder if the need to do this is the same as your need to comment on forums like this?

FWIW, I think it's a way of connecting with other folks. Seeking adulation may be part of this, which is fine.

I've benefited hugely from social media posts on many tracks, I'd never meet these people or know a lot of this info in any other way. I do hope folks post responsibly, most do.
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 29 Aug, 2021 2:51 am

myrtlegirl wrote:
I wonder if the need to do this is the same as your need to comment on forums like this?

Yes, good question........but no, I dont think so.

I write up trip reports for most of the walking I do and have posted a few long ones on this forum. I enjoy writing them and know how it feels to receive positive feedback and to know that people have enjoyed reading them. But a few positive responses soon turned my trip reports into a bit of an obsession and I found myself agonizing and planning over the reports more than the actual walk which made me question why I was out there in the first place ? I still enjoy writing up detailed trip reports, just dont feel a need to post them on SM anymore.

My comments in response to Lucas probably sound a bit harsh but the intention was for him (or anyone facing the same dilemma) to stop and think about what gives them the most satisfaction. Is it simply being out in the bush or is it the production of social media clips. If producing the clips is providing more satisfaction than the actual walk then maybe he/they have lost their way a bit ?
(in my opinion anyway but I'm a bit of a dinosaur).
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Lostsoul » Sun 29 Aug, 2021 9:28 am

Mechanic-AL wrote:
myrtlegirl wrote:

Yes, good question........but no, I dont think so.

I write up trip reports for most of the walking I do and have posted a few long ones on this forum. I enjoy writing them and know how it feels to receive positive feedback and to know that people have enjoyed reading them. But a few positive responses soon turned my trip reports into a bit of an obsession and I found myself agonizing and planning over the reports more than the actual walk which made me question why I was out there in the first place ? I still enjoy writing up detailed trip reports, just dont feel a need to post them on SM anymore.

My comments in response to Lucas probably sound a bit harsh but the intention was for him (or anyone facing the same dilemma) to stop and think about what gives them the most satisfaction. Is it simply being out in the bush or is it the production of social media clips. If producing the clips is providing more satisfaction than the actual walk then maybe he/they have lost their way a bit ?
(in my opinion anyway but I'm a bit of a dinosaur).

Totally agree with your comments.I began questioning my reason for walking too.For me it was more about the photography and posting pics of the trip rather than writing detailed trip reports.
I did in the end get sick of followers pm’ing me asking how to do these walks,to the point I’ve deleted my FB and Insta pages and now just go walking for my own reasons and it feels much better.
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Tasmania