Collins Bonnet

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Collins Bonnet

Postby ronin » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 7:39 pm

Phweew, just got home, have my feet up with a glass of red (well it is Xmas).
Did the walk from the 'Big Bend' up to Collins Cap via Mt Connection and return, took me about 4 hrs all up.
Very quiet, no-one except when i got to the ''Cap'' where i met a couple that came up from Collinsvale.
I've never done this walk but found it to be a great workout with a lot of different terrain from scrambling over rocks to walking on duck boards.
Now i am fairly new to bushwalking only having done a variety of Mt Wellington walks and i'm not sure on the difficulty but found this to be comfortably difficult (is that a term?).
Came across my first snake (maybe 2 feet and all brown) since i started walking here, nearly stood on him as he was only about a metre away when we met.
Anyways, my glass is nearly empty, so in finishing, great walk, great variety, tired legs, cant wait for my next challenge, Cheers.
ronin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Collins Bonnet

Postby corvus » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 7:54 pm

That would have been a nice young Tiger as they only grow 30 cm a year on average,and you glass is part full :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby bluewombat » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 8:12 pm

Nice walk Ronin, there are some excellent views up there. The other peaks in the general area, (Marion, Trestle, Collins Cap) are very worthwhile as well. I find duck board makes my feet and legs hurt way more than these sort of bush tracks. Funny how snakes just seem to appear when you are a metre away from them, shows how well their camouflage works. Happy walking
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PeterJ » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 9:01 pm

Was that Collins Bonnet or Collins Cap you visited? From Big Bend the Bonnet is the first one and it is somewhat further to the Cap (you would have had to go fairly close to the summit of the Bonnet to get there).
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ronin » Tue 29 Dec, 2009 8:54 am

PeterJ wrote:Was that Collins Bonnet or Collins Cap you visited? From Big Bend the Bonnet is the first one and it is somewhat further to the Cap (you would have had to go fairly close to the summit of the Bonnet to get there).

Definitely Collins Bonnet, i went to Collins Cap via Myrtyl forest(Coliinsvale) a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed that walk .also.

As for the snake, a young tiger hey, well i hope that i don't see too many, i try to make a bit of noise with my walking poles so i was surprised i got that close, being that he was right on the track i just let him slither away so i could continue.
Looks like i'll be investing in gaiters quick smart just to help
ronin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania