Overnight circuits in Tassie

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Overnight circuits in Tassie

Postby south » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi All,

I'm just reaching out for a bit of help from the hive mind to find a few good overnight walks with fair distance and possibly a start and finish at close to the same spot, or reasonable walking distance as I'm looking for a few good solo hikes.

I recently walked down to South Cape rivulet for a night. The walk was great but the back tracking on the same path the next morning was a bit boring.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
south
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Overnight circuits in Tassie

Postby Azza » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 12:25 pm

Freycinet circuit.
Walls of Jerusalem.

Distance can be a bit of a funny thing in Tassie.
Particularly in the South West where you couldn't cover the same distance in the same sort of time as South Cape Rivulet because of the type of terrain.
Sometimes it's better to think in terms of walking hours.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 1:35 pm

There are heaps of options in the Walls and on the Central Plateau, although for the latter you need to be comfortable walking off track for at least some of it.
Mt Field also has a couple of options, again with shortish off-track sections (Mawson Plateau or, for a longer walk, via the Bel Lakes track then up Tyenna and Florentine). There's a forest circuit in the Tarkine with long and short options.
Use the inland Cape Pillar track to do that circuit from Fortescue Bay. Stashing a mountain bike at one end allows you to extend the walk and start at the Stinking Bay trackhead so you do the whole thing plus a bit (and that way it's free).
More demanding options would be the WArthurs (only A-K open atm) and the Anne circuit when it is finally reopened but don't hold your breath.
Tyndall Range can be done as a short overnighter, but it means a bit of off-track stuff at the Geikie/Chin end.
It''s possible to do Murchison as a circuit, using the track in to Lake Sandra and camping either at the lake or up top if the conditions are good.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby L_Cham_67 » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 2:37 pm

Some other options that may interest you:
-Overnight trip around Cradle Mountain, spending the night at Scott Kilvert Memorial Hut. A wide variety of tracks you could use and still start/finish at the same place.
-Head up alongside Lake St Clair from Cynthia Bay, and then return via the Cuvier Valley, and spend the night at Narcissus Hut or Lake Petrarch. The track is quite faint in places down the cuvier valley however, and is often muddy too.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby south » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 5:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
I was thinking Walls of J, in mid September, I just don't really want to rush it even though i know i can go back. I'm just trying to make the best of the reduced numbers due to COVID.
I'm thinking of staying around dixon's hut for the night then doing the loop back to the car.
I just don't know how much time in the day that will leave for anything else.
south
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania