Desktop version
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Long Marsh Dam

Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:29 pm

Has anyone explored the Long Marsh Dam and surrounding area? I am hoping to get some photos of the reminants of the convict engineering works, building ruins etc later this year and have not found much information on the details of what can be found in the area. The best info netwise is for a Geocache in the area, so have got a GPS co-ordinate for that, but am more interested in the extent of the ruins and ease of finding them and getting access. Any pointers or information appreciated. PM if appropriate to keep to forum rules.

Re: Long Marsh Dam

Sat 24 Oct, 2009 10:09 am

Beg, borrow or steal a copy of Chris Boden's book,"OFF ROAD TASMANIA" pp 126-128 has all you require, Cheers.

Sat 24 Oct, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks buddy, I searched the State Library database and have placed a copy on hold.

THANKS HEAPS :D

Mon 30 Nov, 2009 1:07 pm

We visited Long Marsh on the 14/11, two weekends ago (as of today). The track was in good condition for most part. You could walk all the way from the Long Marsh track turn off from the M16 road as it's not that far (few Km). The last KM or so before descending to the weir had a few boggy holes in the track but they mostly had nice hard bottoms in them. An average capable 4WD with enough clearance should make it all the way to the weir OK.

It did not take long to walk in from here after crossing the river at the weir and up the hill to the track start on the right. The track to the site is easy walking and well marked with rock cairns. The site must get a bit of traffic as it was easy to follow. Lots of ruins, quarry's, old roads, dams walls and paths to explore.

We where unable to find the track to the dam on the Southern side of the river on the way in as it was very overgrown but it would be easy walking through the bush, so you could find it if you really wanted to. We found the dam wall on the settlement side OK. A lot of interesting history here. Search the internet for more interesting facts and information. I note one of the Launceston walking groups is going here in December according to their calendar.
Attachments
path.jpg
Old Path - Long Marsh Dam Settlement
path.jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
Building.jpg
Old Building - Long Marsh Dam Settlement
Building.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 5000 times

Tue 01 Dec, 2009 10:39 am

Land Rover Owner's Club plan to clear track soon and place markers etc.

Thu 07 Jan, 2010 12:42 am

I finally got to explore the Long Marsh Dam site with the Launceston Walking Club group the w/e after Christmas. A GPS was useful in getting to the start of the newly marked tracks that the Land Rover club have recently installed. We started off by exploring the sandstone quarry, then the dam abutments either side of the Macquarie river where we had lunch. We then climbed up the northern abutment and along the ridge to the grave site and settlement remains. Lots to explore and worth another trip if you are interested in Tassie's convict past. I have put some photos in the Gallery here : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3342

Thu 09 Sep, 2010 12:26 am

Gday there, a good source of info on the dam is a book called " Lifeblood of a colony" it has got a map showing the layout of the buildings and what they were also detailed info on the planning, costing building of the dam.

Sun 12 Sep, 2010 6:52 pm

russ wrote:Gday there, a good source of info on the dam is a book called " Lifeblood of a colony" it has got a map showing the layout of the buildings and what they were also detailed info on the planning, costing building of the dam.

Thanks russ for the book link, I checked the State Library holdings and they have several copies, so have placed one on hold.

Tue 12 Oct, 2010 10:55 am

"Lifeblood of a Colony" is quite a good read for the information on many areas we walk in. Here is the map from the book for those interested in exploring the settlement site.

Plan Long Marsh.jpg
Post a reply