Have your say on Tassie’s next iconic multi-day walk

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Have your say on Tassie’s next iconic multi-day walk

Postby north-north-west » Sat 11 Sep, 2021 1:33 pm

"'Welcome to the rainforest, don't complain about the rain'"

Remind me again how much of the proposed route from the Anthony Rd to Lake Margaret goes through rainforest. It's mostly open heath and sedge.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby taswegian » Sat 11 Sep, 2021 4:27 pm

Remind me again how much of the proposed route from the Anthony Rd to Lake Margaret goes through rainforest. It's mostly open heath and sedge.

That's so typical of many "expert" commentaries these days where the expondor is completely ignorant of reality but speaks to the masses to educate them about this or that with truth being far from their minds.
Justify a cause to prove it's worth.

With the ever increasing use of our wonderful rescue service these days, I fear this walk will increase that when visitors hit rough weather and have had enough and just press the button!

One of the problems these days is the attitude when genuine concerns are raised it's Here we go again, the greenies are ALWAYS against EVERYTHING and just switch off and plow on regardless
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 6:44 am

"We on the West Coast don't believe rain means that you can't have fun," Cr Pitt said.

"As someone who has enjoyed the West Coast wilderness my whole life and who has for years been a keen walker, I am excited to see this walk."

The tunnel vision and cognitive dissonance in this are mind-booggling.
You, councillor, are not the target market. Your target market is the 'experience seekers', and slogging through buttongrass and scrub for three days in typical west coast weather with no views, at nearly $200 per day, is not the sort of experience they're seeking.
The Mt Owen MTB tracks make far more sense than this.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TentPeg » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 6:54 pm

'slogging through button grass and scrub for three days'......

Don't think so. $34m will get those pesky experience seekers a clear track to walk on.
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Mon 13 Sep, 2021 8:17 pm

Never underestimate the capacity for high paying customers to have a correspondingly miserable time. Computer says Milford Sound scores 182 rainy days and Mt. Read 217 (more than 1mm). There's actually a chance this project could do wonders for limiting further excessive development.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Mon 27 Sep, 2021 10:36 am

with all this discussion and planning regarding new walks I was just wondering if anyone could provide a bit of an update on how far the last project has progressed ? Has the 3 Capes actually lived up to its name yet with Cape Raoul included in the itinerary ?
If not, it seems to be taking a long time to get it finished and maybe the emphasis should be on finishing what has already been started.
(not too far off topic I hope.....).
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby tastrax » Tue 28 Sep, 2021 6:27 pm

Mechanic-AL wrote: Has the 3 Capes actually lived up to its name yet with Cape Raoul included in the itinerary ?

My guess is that because there is no commercial interest in the third cape it will never be done (at least in the original concept). It was also always going to be a tough ask to have a boat trip part way into a walk and I suspect the current 4 day/3 night walk better fits a commercial experience for 'softer' clients. There were also some serious track alignment issues on the remaining section.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby TentPeg » Wed 29 Sep, 2021 1:30 pm

Cape Raoul track has been upgraded as a day walk.
I recently walked the rest of the track. Fantastic job done by all concerned. A great walk suited to a wide range of ages and abilities.
I would happily recommend it to anyone as a great Tasmanian experience.
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 9:13 am

Cue Scotty (from marketing). Two Capes and a day walk, Tyndall Lakes walk. How about properly funded public space, & only five scary and dangerous war machines? It's an equally quaint thought, 'access for all' without the natural limits imposed by wilderness. The wilds filled with hardened ridge walkers prepared to suffer wet tents or.. stand aside, palanquin passing?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 5:14 pm

Technically it is Three Capes. You do a daywalk out to Raoul and back, then get the boat from Port Arthur to Denmans to do the other two capes. Whether transport to/from the Raoul trackhead is included in any of the paying options is a different question. Maybe walkers should insist upon it and threaten a class action for false advertising if it isn't provided?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 5:15 pm

Nuts wrote:Cue Scotty (from marketing). Two Capes and a day walk, Tyndall Lakes walk.

"Tasmania's Great Wilderness* Experience"

(*note: wilderness not included)
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 24 Dec, 2021 12:13 pm

Tasmanian National Parks Association response to feasibility study:

https://tnpa.org.au/tyndall-range-next- ... 38cXvxT6Ok
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Champion_Munch » Fri 24 Dec, 2021 8:19 pm

From the TNPA commentry on the feasibility study...

"Modelling actually suggested that a package of daywalks (the “benchmark”) would attract more
visitors than either of the multi-day options, but, the Feasibility Study states (p51), “whilst the
benchmark delivers the highest number of potential visitors, it must be noted that this option
provides little difference from the existing day walk products on offer
and does not provide as high
economic benefit to Tasmania as the other options due to different visitation patterns and regional
spending.”
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Nuts » Sun 17 Dec, 2023 11:22 am

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 12.11.27 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 12.11.27 pm.png (592.53 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 17 Dec, 2023 5:30 pm

I've spent a bit of time in the area recently, and what I would do with this is:
Lake Spicer Track (or parallel to as I doubt the 4WDers would appreciate losing their access) to Walford Gap, with an optional sidetrip up Newton Peak. Walford Gap over Walford with the camp/glut site on the flatter area @ around 940m alt approx 500m SW of Walford summit; that way they get their view of Huntley and the Tyndall cliffs without getting too close. Down, then up onto the moraine south of Huntley, curve around between Malcolm and Matthew, south past Mark and up to Farquhar Lookout. Nectar Lakes and the usual (currently off-track) route to the shoulder of Sedgwick. Over the shoulder, optional sidetrip up Sedgwick, past Adam and along the rim to Sedgwick Bluff, then north and zig zag them down to the Lake Margaret Dam and along the pipeline to Lake Margaret township for the last night. Then the vehicle track to Hamilton Moraine and out to Clarke Dam. There would probably need to be a camp/glut site somewhere near Adam.
Minimal new track cutting and a lot of that is over already disturbed/well-explored ground, but it still has dramatic and often spectacular views (when the weather permits).
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 11:17 am

Yeah, interesting, My only thoughts haven't changed. Camp low with out-back side trips (up high) would make for the least impact and most safety.

I never was dead-set against some sort of development in the area. More broadly just dismayed at the seamless transition to selling. And on it goes, the projections for this 'product' are speculative, figures obviously enhanced. If it's going to now be Parks pty ltd (decided by the weight of ambivalence, rather than on the concerns of anybody that actually cares) it's probably more appropriate to employ a salesman. Looks like they (the appointed VIP) have the right man for the job..

here's the ADV article (I was trying to find another source, if anyone has such a thing, please copy your version :) ) I'll keep an eye out for the EIS, a DA and the final details.

(article removed)
Last edited by Nuts on Mon 18 Dec, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 12:14 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:From the TNPA commentry on the feasibility study...

"Modelling actually suggested that a package of daywalks (the “benchmark”) would attract more
visitors than either of the multi-day options, but, the Feasibility Study states (p51), “whilst the
benchmark delivers the highest number of potential visitors, it must be noted that this option
provides little difference from the existing day walk products on offer
and does not provide as high
economic benefit to Tasmania as the other options due to different visitation patterns and regional
spending.”

So there you have it straight from the horses mouth (ie, from the feasibility study). It's not what's good for the environment that matters. It's not what the tourists want that matters. It's how much money PWS can make out of it that matters.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Mon 18 Dec, 2023 8:00 pm

I'll assume TNPA wouldn't mind, from their facebook page:

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 8.55.20 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 8.55.20 pm.png (145.47 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Montaine » Thu 21 Dec, 2023 3:25 am

north-north-west wrote:I've spent a bit of time in the area recently, and what I would do with this is:
Lake Spicer Track (or parallel to as I doubt the 4WDers would appreciate losing their access) to Walford Gap, with an optional sidetrip up Newton Peak. Walford Gap over Walford with the camp/glut site on the flatter area @ around 940m alt approx 500m SW of Walford summit; that way they get their view of Huntley and the Tyndall cliffs without getting too close. Down, then up onto the moraine south of Huntley, curve around between Malcolm and Matthew, south past Mark and up to Farquhar Lookout. Nectar Lakes and the usual (currently off-track) route to the shoulder of Sedgwick. Over the shoulder, optional sidetrip up Sedgwick, past Adam and along the rim to Sedgwick Bluff, then north and zig zag them down to the Lake Margaret Dam and along the pipeline to Lake Margaret township for the last night. Then the vehicle track to Hamilton Moraine and out to Clarke Dam. There would probably need to be a camp/glut site somewhere near Adam.
Minimal new track cutting and a lot of that is over already disturbed/well-explored ground, but it still has dramatic and often spectacular views (when the weather permits).

This is actually a great compromise.

Son of a Beach wrote:It's how much money PWS can make out of it that matters.

Not so much make money but recover the costs for PWS (nothing is done at a loss any more), but the real intent of the whole exercise is to secure votes through the (false) promise of the tourism $ it will bring into the West Coast.
Montaine
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 21 Dec, 2023 8:07 am

Montaine wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:It's how much money PWS can make out of it that matters.

Not so much make money but recover the costs for PWS (nothing is done at a loss any more), but the real intent of the whole exercise is to secure votes through the (false) promise of the tourism $ it will bring into the West Coast.

If they don't build this one, there will be no costs to recover.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Previous

Return to Tasmania