Page 24 of 24

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2021 7:12 am
by stepbystep
A very good article in the latest Wild Magazine. One that shows the nationwide land grab under way.

This is NOT a Tasmanian issue and ALL bushwalkers need to support the fight against the Lake Malbena development for that reason. This issue needs to be made national to give us any hope of protecting our lifestyle and our precious National Parks.

I will publish a guide to submission writing here when the 10-14 day period opens. Using your own words is vital but it's important to hit key points the minister must address.

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2021 8:41 am
by JulianS
[quote="stepbystep"]A very good article in the latest Wild Magazine. One that shows the nationwide land grab under way.

Is it online by any chance? I had a quick look, but it wasn't obvious.

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2021 10:47 am
by stepbystep
JulianS wrote:
stepbystep wrote:A very good article in the latest Wild Magazine. One that shows the nationwide land grab under way.

Is it online by any chance? I had a quick look, but it wasn't obvious.


Not online. I'd encourage people to buy a hard copy to support the magazine. It's part one of a two part feature.

Cheers, Dan

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2021 10:16 am
by doogs
stepbystep wrote:
JulianS wrote:
stepbystep wrote:A very good article in the latest Wild Magazine. One that shows the nationwide land grab under way.

Is it online by any chance? I had a quick look, but it wasn't obvious.


Not online. I'd encourage people to buy a hard copy to support the magazine. It's part one of a two part feature.

Cheers, Dan

It is online. I'd still encourage you to buy the magazine though too :) https://wild.com.au/conservation/luxury ... ness-lost/

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb, 2021 7:28 pm
by Nuts
Linked here too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17410&start=330
More links the better I guess. The outcomes are all that matters. It puzzles me that concern isn't widespread and mainstream. Widespread and mainstream care being the ideal..

It's good to see Bob speaking up against EOI. ('Good' as in 'better than proposing his own :roll: )

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2021 11:58 am
by dayswaste
Adam Morton, Environment editor
The Guardian, Australian Edition

Privatising the wilderness: the Tasmanian project that could become a national park test case

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -test-case

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2021 2:02 pm
by johnrs
More here, secret mates business indeed.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-13/ ... /100063744
John

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2021 6:41 pm
by taswegian
Article on examiner https://www.examiner.com.au/story/72698 ... -proponent huts heritage nod won't impact lake Malbena development - proponent
Interesting reading Mr Hackett's comments

Wild Drake operator Daniel Hackett said he and his partner Simone Hackett were "excited" about the possible heritage-listing of "our historic hut".

"For some years we've been working on collating the important history of Hall's Hut as part of the story of recreation in, and founding of, the Walls of Jerusalem National Park," Mr Hackett said.

"Our work has included a significant donation of historical relics to the [Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery] so that all Tasmanians can access the history of the [national park].

"The proposed listing shows that the private Hall's Hut is one of the most important huts in the [Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area]. As custodians we will use income from the standing camp to assist in covering the significant maintenance and upkeep of our historic hut, which is available for no-cost public visitation by simply contacting us.

He uses his words to suit his needs "so that all Tasmanians can access the history of the [national park]."
And appears to make him a true custodian of wilderness/heritage values

Not very impressed!

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2021 7:38 am
by north-north-west
taswegian wrote: ... available for no-cost public visitation by simply contacting us.


... and putting your name down on the maximum twelve people per year list ...

What a load of self-serving cobblers.

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2021 1:42 pm
by Nuts
Let it crumble, far more important values at stake.
'Self-serving' though, Of course! what other successful business model is there?

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2021 8:02 am
by Son of a Beach
It's actually one of the crappiest ugliest bush huts I've ever visited, to be honest.

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2021 5:04 pm
by tastrax
Something else to add to the discussion...

https://tnpa.org.au/wilderness-support- ... poll-2021/

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2021 10:48 am
by Overlandman
From ABC

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-23/ ... /100236044

A United Nations committee has asked the government to halt tourism development in the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area (TWWHA) until a cultural assessment is completed.

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2021 11:17 am
by Lophophaps
At some stage in this long process there were a lot of submissions, perhaps to the Central Highlands Council, with something like 1000 against and a handful for the proposal. Can someone advise me of when, what this was for, and the figures? TIA.

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2021 6:45 pm
by Lophophaps
https://tnpa.org.au/lake-malbena-appeal/

17 September 2021
Lake Malbena - appeal to Supreme Court - a win!

The decision was announced on the afternoon of 15 September 2021. It was a 2:1 majority decision by full bench of the Supreme Court (3 judges).

This is the latest in the campaign against the proposed helicopter-accessed tourism development at Lake Malbena, in the Walls of Jerusalem National Park. See here for our summary of the whole saga.

The ruling sets aside both the outcome of our initial appeal to the Supreme Court (considered by only one judge) and the original decision of the Resource Management and Planning Appeal Tribunal (RMPAT) to grant a permit for the proposal. It requires RMPAT to consider whether the proposal complies with the “prescriptive requirements” of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area Management Plan 2016.

The ruling vindicates the substantial amount of effort and cost required to mount this legal challenge. Our thanks to our fellow parties to the appeal; The Wilderness Society (Tasmania), Richard Webb and Paul Smith; and our legal team; Claire Bookless and Nicole Sommer (Environmental Defenders Office) and counsel Juliet Forsyth SC and R Muchinguri.

The way ahead is not entirely clear. Wild Drake, the proponent, has 28 days to seek leave to appeal this decision to the High Court. If they do not, there are some practical questions to resolve around the RMPAT’s reconsideration of its decision. The original hearings were conducted in mid-2019. There may be some opportunity to remind the members of the tribunal of the key points of evidence, assuming that all the original members of the tribunal are available.

*** TNPA advice ends

Nice.

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2021 7:46 pm
by Nuts
How on earth was it possible to get a dissenting judge?

Lophophaps wrote:At some stage in this long process there were a lot of submissions, perhaps to the Central Highlands Council, with something like 1000 against and a handful for the proposal. Can someone advise me of when, what this was for, and the figures? TIA.


They were submissions against the development proposal closed early Feb 2019 (i'd imagine)?

"The proposal was advertised for public comment and a total of one thousand three hundred and forty six
(1346) representations were received. Two (2) of the submissions received are in support of the proposal and
the remainder object to it."

PS
The proposal (planners report) then went before the CHC late February, where it was rejected.
https://centralhighlands.tas.gov.au/wp- ... ouncil.pdf

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Sat 18 Sep, 2021 7:08 am
by Lophophaps
Nuts, thanks.

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2021 10:30 am
by stepbystep
Lophophaps wrote:https://tnpa.org.au/lake-malbena-appeal/

17 September 2021
Lake Malbena - appeal to Supreme Court - a win!

The decision was announced on the afternoon of 15 September 2021. It was a 2:1 majority decision by full bench of the Supreme Court (3 judges).

This is the latest in the campaign against the proposed helicopter-accessed tourism development at Lake Malbena, in the Walls of Jerusalem National Park. See here for our summary of the whole saga.

The ruling sets aside both the outcome of our initial appeal to the Supreme Court (considered by only one judge) and the original decision of the Resource Management and Planning Appeal Tribunal (RMPAT) to grant a permit for the proposal. It requires RMPAT to consider whether the proposal complies with the “prescriptive requirements” of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area Management Plan 2016.

The ruling vindicates the substantial amount of effort and cost required to mount this legal challenge. Our thanks to our fellow parties to the appeal; The Wilderness Society (Tasmania), Richard Webb and Paul Smith; and our legal team; Claire Bookless and Nicole Sommer (Environmental Defenders Office) and counsel Juliet Forsyth SC and R Muchinguri.

The way ahead is not entirely clear. Wild Drake, the proponent, has 28 days to seek leave to appeal this decision to the High Court. If they do not, there are some practical questions to resolve around the RMPAT’s reconsideration of its decision. The original hearings were conducted in mid-2019. There may be some opportunity to remind the members of the tribunal of the key points of evidence, assuming that all the original members of the tribunal are available.

*** TNPA advice ends

Nice.


Yes, a great win. But not quite the death knell this project needs.
Thanks to all for ongoing support - when and if the next legal appeal or call for public comment is needed please be ready to jump to action.
Following Fishers & Walkers Tasmania, The Wilderness Society Tasmania and the Tasmanian National Parks Association is a a good way to stay abreast of the issues and what needs to happen and when.