South East Cape track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South East Cape track

Postby sa_cooke » Fri 08 May, 2009 9:36 am

Hi,

I am wondering whether anyone can give me information about a track along South East Cape please. I understand there is a track, and that it may be accessed at the south eastern end of South Cape beach at low tide. I also understand there may have been a newer track recently cut. I'd like to check the track out on Saturday or Sunday prior to taking my two young sons there in a couple of weeks time. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Steve.
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: South East Cape track

Postby tasadam » Fri 08 May, 2009 9:44 am

You could always give these guys a call and let us all know what they say...
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=7710#9
Good luck!
As their site says,
The park office at Huonville has up to date information on the South Coast Track.
So they should know about any new tracks to southeast cape.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby sa_cooke » Fri 08 May, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks Adam,

I did actually check with P&WS prior to posting - they said there was no maintained track down there (which I guess means no track maintained by the P&WS). I was appealing to people on the forum who might have been down there recently and would be willing to share their experience of the trip - either on track or off track. Obviously I'd prefer a track (or, rather, my sons would!), but any tales of the area would be helpful.

Thanks again.
Steve.
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tastrax » Sat 09 May, 2009 3:58 pm

There is no formed track to Southeast Cape. There was some illegal cutting several years back but I suspect that may have overgrown. Its a long haul out to the cape (very very very long day trip) and I have been told that the views are not much as most of the cape is covered in head high scrub.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby tasadam » Sun 10 May, 2009 10:40 am

So it would seem that the most southerly accessable point in Australia is South Cape Bay...
http://www.ontheroad.com.au/old/previou ... 00cape.htm

First, you read a small inaccuracy -
Here is Cockle Creek, a tiny coastal settlement boasting peaceful camping and a rich history. South East Cape is an easy two to three hours’ walk from here.

But then you read (after much on the history of Cockle Creek) that they are recommending a trip to South Cape Bay where you get to see South East Cape -
While you can spend hours simply delving into Cockle Creek’s colourful past, a trip here really isn’t complete without a visit to South Cape Bay to see the sandy beaches and crumbling cliffs of Australia’s southern tip. In fine weather, South Cape Bay is beautiful; in stormy weather, it’s awesome. Just sitting on the rocks above South Cape Bay, gazing out past Australia’s southernmost point, meditating on the ocean with its brutal, uncompromising energy is an inspiring an experience as any.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby tastrax » Sun 10 May, 2009 11:18 am

Dont you just love old web articles - there hasn't been a ranger at Dover for years!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby sa_cooke » Mon 11 May, 2009 11:09 am

Hi again,

Thanks to all who replied. I went down there over the weekend. Saturday was not so good, but it cleared over Sat night and the moon was awesome! Sunday was simply delightful. Nice walk to South Cape Bay, and I kept checking on the way for any signs of old (or newish) side tracks that might have been used as an approach to South East Cape. I followed a couple of leads, one of which I will walk more extensively next time, as it appears to head into the highlands south of the main track - definitely closer, if not better, views of SE Cape than at South Cape Bay.

As a previous contributor noted, the scrub appears quite horrendous on the cape - possibly not a good place for my (experienced but still human) sons! Nor for me for that matter... And the view *IS* spectacular from South Cape Bay.

Sunday afternoon, May 10, 2009, at South Cape Bay - brilliant sunshine, the occasional squall in the distance, very little wind, awesome waves rolling in, just beautiful.

Steve.
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Mon 11 May, 2009 11:22 am

sa_cooke wrote:Sunday afternoon, May 10, 2009, at South Cape Bay - brilliant sunshine, the occasional squall in the distance, very little wind, awesome waves rolling in, just beautiful.

Steve.
Isn't that what it's about!
Well done. Glad you had a great walk.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby kramster » Mon 11 May, 2009 1:18 pm

tasadam wrote:So it would seem that the most southerly accessable point in Australia is South Cape Bay...
http://www.ontheroad.com.au/old/previou ... 00cape.htm

Interesting also that in said article, that the photo of Cockle Creek looks strangely similar to South Cape Rivulet... :wink:
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby grasshopper92 » Sun 31 Oct, 2021 4:08 pm

Update on this...
A few of us went out there yesterday. Dropped down to the coast and walked along the beaches/rocks til we reached the last beach. We saw some orange PVC pegs stuck in the ground leading up the hill and made the mistake of following them and ended up in some gross scrub. Further up the beach, there is a creek leading up the hill (just before a landslide). We found a rope leading to a very good taped pad. Ran out of time but reckon it goes most of the way out to the cape.
grasshopper92
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania