Heading to Tassy for 3 wks.

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Heading to Tassy for 3 wks.

Postby Andrew P » Fri 25 Oct, 2013 10:21 pm

I think I'm being lazy here, when I could search the copious archive of reports, but thought I'd plump for the most up-to-date feedback on what's out there in Tazzy land.
2003 was when we were last there - left early due to the fires on the mainland (Western Arthurs and Frenchman's Cap, exiting via the Irenabyss and the leech-ridden Mary Ck Plain). Overland Track done more than once.

This time thinking of Walls of Jerusalem, Tarkine, Mt Anne and Eastern Arthurs.
Any bucket list comments? We're very experienced walkers (Dusky Track, Stewart Island's Northwest Circuit, Five Passes and Three Passes amongst several other in NZ; Nepal x 3; Kilimanjaro - our "white bwana" badges beginning to shine :-(, hence our return to carrying our own packs). We don't think of ourselves as Tiger walkers at all. Heck, I'll probably be using trekking poles again if the vegetation allows and it's more than a three day walk...

My main question is that we're self-driving our three week November tour and how easy is it to get to the trackheads?
eg Walls of J? Mt Anne? I expect Eastern Arthurs are fine.
Tarkine I have no clue about. There are lots of descriptions of day walks which I assume would have 2WD-accessible trackheads, but for multi-day I am clueless.
Can anyone clue me?

Cheers,
Love your work.
Andrew
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apurdam/co ... 000510322/
Andrew P
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Heading to Tassy for 3 wks.

Postby Haydynb » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 7:04 am

Andrew

Can only speak for the Western Tiers area (Wall ect) and that the roads to the track heads are easily accessible via 2WD vehicles.

Walls is a must...
Mt Ragoona is nice
Lees Paddocks are great too and could form part of a loop on a longer walk i guess (more experienced walker here than me to provide that advice...)

Hope that helps...
Haydynb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby biggbird » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 7:45 am

Hi Andrew,

As Haydynb said, you definitely won't have any trouble getting to the Walls track, and nor will you have any problems getting to the starts of either Mt Anne or the Eastern Arthurs.

I think there would probably be a couple of good threads with info on the Tarkine, but my limited understanding says your access may also be quite limited. Seems like it's either 4wd only, or they just plain don't want you to go to a lot of places :P I'm sure others with more knowledge will be along to give you a hand though!
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby pazzar » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 11:38 am

The northern end of the Tarkine is fairly accessible. You probably just need to check with Forestry Tas about possible bridge outages. Milkshake Hills, Julius River area are quite nice. You could also check out the west coast. You can get to Temma by 2WD, then go for a wander. It is an amazing place. There are a few walks down the southern end of the Tarkine such as Mt Livingstone (off track), Mt Pearse, and Mt Donaldson (I don't think it is accessible at the moment). If you search these you should find threads on them. You can PM for Mt Livingstone details - it is a fantastic walk.

The Western Explorer Road is closed, not likely to be open soon.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Andrew P » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks all for your replies.
The Walls has been suggested by a Tassy walker friend, too.
And Lees -> Pelion Plains ... I think it finished with bashing out through the Mersey!
Will investigate further.
Thanks for the tips.
Andrew P
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tigercat » Sun 27 Oct, 2013 4:57 am

Very nice circuit Walls, Lake Ball, Lake Adelaide, Junction Lake, never never, OT briefly through to Lees paddocks from near KiaOra
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sirius Tas » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:38 pm

Access to Mt Donaladson is only possible coming in off the Corinna Road. The Western Explorer(Road to nowhere) has massive landslips south of the Donaldson River and will be closed(as I understand) for quite some time.
Access to start of Donaldson track is still fine via Corinna. Having recently done this walk, the track is in good condition and well graded.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Andrew P » Sat 07 Nov, 2020 9:08 pm

Thank you all for those suggestions seven years ago.
We head there again (second time this year! - played around the Walls a fair bit in Feb) for another three weeks.
This time heading for the (recently(?) repaired) Frenchman's Cap (must update my avatar!) - replete with bookings!!, and looking at Pindar Peak and also Ben Lomond.
Will let you know how they all go...
Andrew P
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 09 Nov, 2020 9:44 am

We did Frenchmans last weekend - you'll find the track in good repair, a very flash new Tahune Hut and likely a heap of people out that way. Granted it was the November long weekend when we were there - and great weather too - but the place was packed. The whole booking and social distancing thing didn't really seem to be having any impact whatsoever.

Alas Mt Anne circuit is still closed due to the 2019 fires... I had been told it would be reopened by Christmas however the latest word is that it'll be more like February 2021 now :-(
headwerkn

Return to Tasmania