Denison Ranges - Spires

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Denison Ranges - Spires

Postby craigw » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 7:19 am

Would anyone have any track notes or other info re walking Lake Rhona - Badger Flat - Lake Curly - The Font, return. I've seen a couple of links though not a lot of detail provided, mostly photos.

Cheers
C
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Denison Ranges - Spires

Postby stu » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 3:23 pm

John Chapmans latest South West Tasmania guide has a short write up on accessing The Spires from the Denison Range; obviously being in a remote wilderness area & off track, notes are deliberately vague. I haven't been out there yet (on my never ending 'to do' list tho), but the views I have had from the Denison range indicate fairly open going (ie. button grass plains, maybe the odd scrubby patch as expected in these sort of areas). A friend who has been there from this direction says it is a LONG monotonous day of button grass from Rhona to Curly (I think they did North Star on the way through?).
Looks like an amazing area, very much looking forward to getting out there myself; unfortunately my 2 week Xmas break is full of other adventures :D

A few bits & pieces here (hope Dave Noble doesn't mind me linking to his great site).

http://www.wildtiger.biz/index.php?tracknotes&id=14
http://www.david-noble.net/Tasmania/POW77/Spires.html

Be sure to post some photos on this site on your return! have fun!'

Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Denison Ranges - Spires

Postby Graham » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 8:49 pm

I have been there twice and its the hardest walk that I have done. The L Rhona to L Curly day is a good 10 to 12 hours of up and down, button grass and scrub. The L Curly to the Font day is not much easier! It would be a good idea to get some route tips before going in order to avoid some of the scrub and if you want to PM me, we could perhaps sort something out. It is a brilliant walk, the Font is a magical place and L Curly pretty good as well, although it has the worst mossies that I have seen anywhere in Tas. I may do it again one day taking the high route from L Curly over Shining Mountain to the Font.
Graham
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania