Huon track (Yo Yo track)

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Huon track (Yo Yo track)

Postby morrowkarl » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 8:39 pm

I am planning on accessing the Arthur's via the Huon track in early January.

Just wondering if anyone can provide a brief up to date response on the condition of the track?

We are planning on going all the way to Cracroft Crossing on the first day. Do most people do this? Or do most overnight at Blakes Shelter? (Will have 16 days worth of food)

Is water from the Huon readily accessible eliminating the need to carry too much water?

What are the camp sites at Harrison's Opening like?

I have read various comments about getting a car to the actual start of the Huon Track. Someone mentioned contacting forestry tas to see if a gate is opened or to get keys. I can't remember where I read this but if anyone can clarify that would be great.

Any local info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
morrowkarl
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Huon track (Yo Yo track)

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 9:50 pm

No key will be needed, the road is always open.
You follow the Huon river, so carrying water would just be plain weird.
And the track is in excellent condition. It was cleared early last year by PWS.

Not sure about the campsite you speak of, but there are many along the way.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wander » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 8:32 am

It was cleared early last year by PWS

Wow and very nice. I was under some (quite clearly a delusion) impression that this track was going to be left to be reclaimed given the Picton / Farmhouse route into the Eastern Arthurs.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 12:59 pm

Walked it last xmas, all the fallen trees had been cleared, and tracks from some kind of vehicle were present. I thought i'd heard somewhere pws cleared it to keep access to the cracroft in case of more fires.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weetbix456 » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 10:54 am

easy to walk from road to cracroft in a day. campsites are good but there's plenty of mossies. i walked out of here a week or so after new years this year, there were a few big trees across the path but nothing that will stop you, and it'd be near impossible to lose your way. just make sure you cross cracroft at the right spot...
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby JamesMc » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 6:27 pm

Walking all the way to Cracroft Crossing in one day carrying 16 day's food would be a death march. There are plenty of good camp sites along the way so l suggest you take two days.

JamesMc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby morrowkarl » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi everyone who has replied.

Thank you for the great words of advice and comments on the track. It has been a good help like a lot of threads on this forum.

Regards
morrowkarl
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby KingFelix » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 2:03 pm

Just returned on the Yo Yo track from the Arthurs. Track was fine and easy to follow apart from the very first part. Somewhere between the Blake's Shelter and the road is a pretty bad section, must have been a recent land slide that brought down a few trees. Nothing impassable but there was a bit of scrambling...
There are plenty of good camp sites on the way so I would do the track in two days.
KingFelix
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Anoola » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 10:15 pm

Heading in through this track soon, anyone got any updates on track conditions?
Cheers
Anoola
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby bumpingbill » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 7:51 am

Anyone got a grid reference or GPS co-ords of Blake's Shelter?
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 8:23 am

I dont think you will miss it - roughly here

GDA94 55G 469198 5228105

http://www.retiredaussies.com/ColinsHom ... k%20D2.htm
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby grantd » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 7:32 am

The track clearing/cutting described in the 2012 post above was not undertaken by PWS (PWS doesn't have the resoruces to do this sort of clearing, nor get out there very often). It was done by a group of quad bike riders who were illegally cutting their way westward, probably 3-4 years ago now. This activity seems to now be in abeyance but I'm sure PWS (Huonville office) would welcome any observations of a resurgence of such activity, or anything that might identify the perpetrators.
grantd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MJD » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 11:53 am

Somewhat unfortunate that PWS don't have the resources to look after a lot of the tracks in the state. However, having walked along the YoYo track twice in the last couple of years, I appreciated the clearing done by the quad bikers. It's a pity that the response to this activity is it's illegal and can you tell me who was doing it rather than finding a way to work with the group to ensure that the clearing and riding are being done responsibly and any perceived or actual liability does not rest with the state government.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby baeurabasher » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 1:03 pm

MJD wrote:Somewhat unfortunate that PWS don't have the resources to look after a lot of the tracks in the state. However, having walked along the YoYo track twice in the last couple of years, I appreciated the clearing done by the quad bikers. It's a pity that the response to this activity is it's illegal and can you tell me who was doing it rather than finding a way to work with the group to ensure that the clearing and riding are being done responsibly and any perceived or actual liability does not rest with the state government.

A very good point I think. If PWS cannot maintain the tracks it would be terrible if they became lost. Some walking clubs clear some tracks, but I think only the easy day walks are done with the odd exception.

Not sure i'd approve of quad bikes ripping along the Arthur plains though....
Elitism attitude that some individuals, with a certain ancestry, higher intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience
baeurabasher
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby geoskid » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 7:58 pm

MJD wrote:Somewhat unfortunate that PWS don't have the resources to look after a lot of the tracks in the state. However, having walked along the YoYo track twice in the last couple of years, I appreciated the clearing done by the quad bikers. It's a pity that the response to this activity is it's illegal and can you tell me who was doing it rather than finding a way to work with the group to ensure that the clearing and riding are being done responsibly and any perceived or actual liability does not rest with the state government.

I hear what you are saying MJD. It's a bit like pick yer passion - are the obstacles put in front of us worthy of respect?
I understand there is a framework/system to work around, and the framework/system is there for a reason, but what do you do when the framework/system is inadequate?
I have a moral compass, it's internal, and it does'nt always point the same way as the system (But I sometimes wonder which one needs adjusting).

I'm all ears
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby geoskid » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 8:28 pm

Iv'e got one main project that I will undertake sometime, and a couple of others if i get around to it. Why? - preserve history, inadequate maintenance ,adventure, access to all.
I agree that the system should explore ways to accommodate help without burying them in legalities.
Life be in it - just do it - pick your slogan that justifies your actions and let the system catch up.
meh.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby Mark F » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 8:39 pm

Is it the use of quad bikes or the clearing which has incurred the wrath of PWS?
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ben.h » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 8:07 pm

Anoola wrote:Heading in through this track soon, anyone got any updates on track conditions?
Cheers

I'm probably way too late for you but we walked from the Picton walkers registration to Blakes Opening in December and the track was strewn with fallen trees pretty much the entire way. I'd suggest to anyone planning on this part of the walk to set aside 3 to 4 hours for the trip from the Picton to Blakes Opening..
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wander » Sat 25 Jan, 2014 7:40 am

The quad bike story is hilarious, I read this thread 2 weeks ago and am still chuckling about it.

I was under the impression also that the 2012 track clearing had been done by Parks and was very puzzled as how the Huon Track got on the list for Parks maintenance. It is a sort of no where track now (but still a very nice track) with the modern access to the SW via Farmhouse Creek and Scotts Peak. Then swinging by that way this Summer I realised the Huon track gives access to a huge length of the Huon River and figured maintenance of this track would serve a heap of fisherfolks looking to chase Huon trout. And had the theory that folks in the Parks group who determine maintenance priorities were also fisherfolk.

But alas my fine theory is shot down in flames to auger in a deep hole when the truth is out.
wander

Postby Porter Ricks » Wed 24 Dec, 2014 11:28 am

A Ranger from the Huonville-Southwest Field Centre was out clearing windfalls on the Huon Track between the Picton River and Blake's Opening this week. This part of the track is a pleasure to walk at present.
Porter Ricks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby eggs » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 9:15 am

I read an account of someone not getting to the car park at the start of the Huon track due to a locked gate?
Is there really a gate before the car park? Or where they heading up the wrong road?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 11:00 am

Back in the forestry days it was occasionally locked at the bridge over the Picton a km or so from the Car Park with a sign saying you've got to walk it from here.

There was kind of a system of gates at the bridges and on riveaux rd that could be opened / closed to work around forestry operations.
Sometimes you went to Farm House via the top bridge, other times via the bottom bridge. Now I think the bottom bridge has been closed because it's unsafe, leaving only one viable route across the river.
The actual forestry roads are not accurately shown on the 1:25k maps either.

These days I doubt the top gate near the Huon Track would ever be locked.
Azza

Postby eggs » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 11:43 am

Thanks
I was aware of the map situation - and have used the LIST to generate a more accurate view of the roads.
But I was not aware the Picton Road bottom bridge was out of use! That was the route I was advising someone to use to keep it simple as it is called the Picton Road all the way to Farmhouse Creek.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 12:06 pm

I could be wrong on that account, the alternative route is well enough sign posted with directions or was. also I hear the road is out a few Km out from Farmhouse Creek now.
Azza

Postby eggs » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 4:36 pm

Quick update.
Recently finished a walk through here.
Road access to Huon track was fine, but there is about 2-2.4km of road walk coming out of the Farmhouse Creek end due to a big hole in the road. Thanks for the fore warning.

The section to Blakes Opening was harder than I expected with quite a few logs still needing to be negotiated.
But on reflection at the end of the 8 days - it was not a real problem in comparison with the gymnastics, mud and pain required from Cutting Camp to the Mt Bobs turnoff on the Farmhouse Creek track :(
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rucksack » Sun 05 Apr, 2015 9:22 am

Update .. Just came back from Mt Bobs and the Picton Road is now clear all the way to the start of the Farmhouse Creek Track. There is evidence of recent work along the length of Picton Road and it is now easily accessible right through to the little 'carpark' at the very end of the road, just 100m from the pedestrian bridge over Farmhouse Creek and the start of the actual track. Eggs, you are right about the condition of the Farmhouse Creek Track: it's in a particularly poor state especially around the Mt Bobs turn-off. We had a joyful wade through the mud and cutting grass and have the wounds to prove it. The first few kilometres from the start of the track at Farmhouse Creek are fine, but it soon deteriorates and there is zero evidence of any track work of any kind on the main Farmhouse Creek Track, (not that you would actually expect any), but it is definitely a deteriorating track. The Mt Bobs Track as it leaves the Farmhouse Creek Track has slightly less mud, but rather more cutting grass, although it improves.

rucksack
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Sat 07 Jan, 2023 9:57 pm

Bumping an old topic - I'm wondering how easy or difficult it can be to cross the Cracroft River when there hasn't been lots of rain. Probably a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question, depending on your ease of river crossings.

I see on BOM that there's a river height listed for the Huon at Harrison's Opening, which is conveniently close to the Cracroft. That has been consistently at 0.72m over the past few days without rain. Does anyone know how that height would relate to the height of the Cracroft? Thanks for any info.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby biggbird » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 10:15 am

Headed in to the EAs Tortoise? Don't have any answer for you unfortunately, but interested in the replies!
biggbird

Postby Tortoise » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 12:49 pm

G'day, Biggbird. Thinking I'll probably join a mate for his last Abel. I don't mind doing the Needles again, but after umpteen expeditions involving the Arthur Plains, I thought it might be nice to go in a different way. With lots of water if needed. I expect you're in the queue for it too. :wink:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 5:21 pm

Tortoise wrote:Bumping an old topic - I'm wondering how easy or difficult it can be to cross the Cracroft River when there hasn't been lots of rain. Probably a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question, depending on your ease of river crossings.

I see on BOM that there's a river height listed for the Huon at Harrison's Opening, which is conveniently close to the Cracroft. That has been consistently at 0.72m over the past few days without rain. Does anyone know how that height would relate to the height of the Cracroft? Thanks for any info.

I've been there during low water - it is probably no more than knee deep. Lots of rocky rises to cross on too. I've also seen it where it has been so high that it would have been up around head height, so not crossable. The crossing is at a pretty slow point of the river, so provided the water is low, you shouldn't have any problems.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Tasmania