Fagus watch 2014

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Fagus watch 2014

Postby tibboh » Wed 21 May, 2014 9:11 am

Great shot through Big Gun Pass NNW. You should have saved it for the photo comp, unless.........you've got a better one haven't you?
This photo shows how tenacious fagus is....just look at the tiny clusters hanging on to the lower cliff faces of Geryon.
I'm booking in a trip to The Acropolis mid May next year for sure, what a grandstand view.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Wed 21 May, 2014 11:30 am

Osik wrote:NNW - seems you had it wet up there too - your photos are stunning though. I bought the pack a couple of years ago on the recommendation of someone of this site (from a shop in QLD somewhere - can't seem to find the name), it's been brilliant. Schlepped it through Africa, and it did wonderful being soaking wet on the W Arthurs for a week too.

It was overcast most of the time (except for the walk into Pine Valley. That, of course, was done under blue skies and sunshine. :roll: ) but the only actual rain to hit me was during the walk out from the Gould Plateau on the Friday. Which is why I was soaking wet when we passed . . .

As for the time lapse - I vote the year too! I'm thinking we form a crack team (a la chasing ice) and fund it, well, umm...surely there was something in the budget about fagus watch!?

Yep. I'll do the close-up series and sbs can do the wide-angle stuff. I'm sure we can find a good spot to set up camp for a year, and you'd all carry in food and supplies for us. Wouldn't you?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby whynotwalk » Sun 25 May, 2014 4:47 pm

Fagus Collage.jpg

Hi fagus watchers. Is it time to call the end of the fagus season for 2014? It must be close. In the 11 days since this set of pix was taken, time and the wind have taken most of the leaves off around Lake Fenton. And they usually linger longer than most.

I've written up some of my thoughts about autumn and fagus in general in my latest blog post. Read on - or not - clicking is optional :)

http://www.naturescribe.com/2014/05/two-ways-of-knowing-autumn.html

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chrisbulldog » Mon 26 May, 2014 3:38 pm

Perhaps so in the south ,but I suspect in the Cradle area there is still a good show ..because as of a couple of weeks ago , there were still large patches of Green around Dove Lake.
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Adamdat » Mon 02 Jun, 2014 11:07 am

The Fagus is all but gone in the cradle area. Yesterday I walked along dove lake up the face track over to kitchen hut and back to dove lake car park via Marion's and we seen maybe two or three trees with only a few leaves left.
Adamdat
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tas-man » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 12:44 pm

Circumnavigating Cradle last week, I saw little left on the bushes, but the ground and tracks were carpeted with fagus leaves making for some different fagus photography.
P1070599.jpg

P1070711.jpg

P1070713.jpg
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tas-man » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 12:52 pm

Here's a couple more.