Lake Youl

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Youl

Postby cutter » Mon 07 Jul, 2008 8:36 am

Can any one tell me please the directions and walking distance to Lake Youl. I had a look on google map, and noticed you get to Storeys Creek, do you get there via Rossardon? Once at Storeys Creek, do you walk upto the other visable creek that heads north west and eventually leads to the lake. Is it steep to the first bit, and how far can you drive to?
cutter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lake Youl

Postby Speculator » Tue 08 Jul, 2008 9:40 am

cutter wrote:Can any one tell me please the directions and walking distance to Lake Youl. I had a look on google map, and noticed you get to Storeys Creek, do you get there via Rossardon? Once at Storeys Creek, do you walk upto the other visable creek that heads north west and eventually leads to the lake. Is it steep to the first bit, and how far can you drive to?

Well, I can't tell you anything about Lake Youl. I can tell you though, that you do get to Storys Creek almost via Rossarden, see here, it's on Storys Creek Road, a loop road from near Rossarden. Geocaching took me a lot of odd places in the past, and this was one of them. The abandoned tungsten mine is interesting though (aparently some people still fossick there).

Anyway, I know that's not much help, hopefully it's a start though. I also notice this thread where tastrekker says "I've just checked out the latest 1:100,000 map and it has a marked walking track that goes from Stacks Bluff via Foster Vale, Lake Youl, Long Valley and Ossians Throne to meet the cross country ski circuit at Little Hell and Surprise Vale.". Does this mean you can go from either direction?

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lake Youl

Postby wello » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 7:09 pm

The road from rossarden to storeys creek is sealed and easy to follow. Once in Storey's creek, look for a turn to the right at the old school. Follow this track for a km or so (it's recently been resurfaced with blue metal) to a turnoff to the right, onto an older looking road with no resurfacing. At this point, there should be a fallen tree with "stacks" in blue paint on the ground. Follow this older track for as far as your vehicle will take you (mine only goes a hundred metres or so). There's another turnoff to the right. Ignore that and continue up the hill. Whether walking or driving, follow the 4wd track to the end and look for a treated pine post and a line of cairns heading off into the bush. This is the track to Stack's Bluff.

Follow the Stack's Bluff track as it climbs through eucalypt forest then boulders. The climb is quite steep in places, but there are plenty of cairns and good views of the cliff line. The route to the top of the scarp follows a scree filled gully and makes the top just north of denison crag (great views to the North of Tranquil Tarn).

From there, rough routes work south west to the summit of Stacks Bluff. to get to Lake Youl, you'd head generally north about 2 - 3 km. Although I've not done that bit, in general there is little to impede your progress on the Ben Lomond plateau. Just spend a bit of time picking the best way through the low scrub and rocks.

Ben Lomond's a great place to walk, so I hope you make it.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania