Gastro on the Overland

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Gastro on the Overland

Postby Gymnoschoenus » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 5:58 pm

Hey everyone,
I have heard that the hut tables are pretty nasty for picking up gastro on the OT.

I have a completely over sensitive gut, and can't handle antibiotics so am completely paranoid about getting gastro as it can ruin a trip for me. I will be walking in early October so hopefully it wont be to busy and still pretty cool. I have also got a great water filter but dont know if I will need to bring it.

What do you reckon the chances of getting gastro are?? (I am pretty carfeul with hygiene).

Jed
:lol:
Gymnoschoenus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Gastro on the Overland

Postby Damien » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 7:09 pm

Probably pretty minimal, just clean the surface before preparing food on it and carry some 'Hydralyte' in case you do catch a bug.
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New Zealand

Postby sarge » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 7:25 pm

You should be right as long as your food doesnt actually touch the table surface and your clean everything well. I dont think there is any need for a water purifier but I always treat water with puritabs as a precaution (some ppl would say thats overkill by I like to be careful).

If you are prone to getting stomach bugs you might want to consider carrying something like stematil in your first aid kit. Its not an over the counter drug but if your freindly GP might prescribe some if you are going remote and are prone to getting food poisoning. I also carry imodium in case of the runs.... :oops:
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 8:32 pm

It's ironic, what must be some of the freshest air and cleanest water on earth- all we need to worry about is each other.
Using your tent and avoiding huts goes a long way to preventing problems. Gastro appears to have been more of an issue several years ago when folks would camp everywhere (normally near the watersources) to avoid overcrowded huts and preferred campsites. Sooner or later they all became a bit 'sus'. Be careful around toilets (handles,scoops, taps etc)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Penguin » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 9:56 pm

I have heard alot of urban myths about giardia on the track, but never met anybody who has got sick. Along the lines of what nuts says, there are some places to be careful - like kitchen hut. Never have purified water on the track, never have been sick. Standard hygiene practices should keep you well.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby corvus » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:30 pm

Never put your food or eating irons directly on the hut tables and use a Sanigel Type hand cleaner as well as washing your hands after toileting and b4 handling any food keep your TP in a snap lock bag away from food ,all basic stuff I know but you will be surprised at the lack of hygiene some folk display on the Track and they can pass this on .
All the other advice is sound however I have never found the need to treat water just be selective where you collect if from again , basic stuff just be as you said careful with your own hygiene and you will have a wonderful experience.
Last edited by corvus on Wed 16 Jul, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Gymnoschoenus » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 7:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the insider info.

:mrgreen:
Gymnoschoenus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Thu 17 Jul, 2008 2:11 pm

If you do a search of the Tas Parks site you will find more info on giardia and gastro.

Know thy enemy.

The more you know about it, the more you can do to prevent it.
Flies landing on your food is a big one, as is taking water from "downstream sources".

I met a lady at Pine Valley that was in a bad way with gastro - she claims she only drank water from the tanks.
Not that there would be anything wrong with the water in the tanks, but something she touched was likely contaminated. It was also the time of year when flies are most active - late summer.

I've been lucky & had no problems.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Chris » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:00 am

Not so sure you can be totally confident of microbiological safety of tank water. Years ago of course we used to drink it routinely when there was no option, and the only exciting thing I was ever aware of coming out of the tank was mozzie larvae. However I remember a friend with a shack at Coles Bay a few years ago reported a few family members getting sick. Mystery solved when they found a dead possum in the tank.
More likely, bird droppings on collecting roof...rain washes into tank... bugs in droppings settle to bottom of tank over a few days, but will be stirred up regularly by more rain.
I'm probably getting more paranoid with age, but we still drink rainwater at home. Always wash the rain-collecting roof, but boil first, and for longer for a few days after replenishment.
Having got that off my chest, if you didn't run a few risks life wouldn't be worth living! (Just like to be somewhat aware of the risks).
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 1:22 pm

I recall from remote area first aid training that it's important to quarantine/isolate affected person/s from the rest of the party (however don't ostracise them...and keep monitoring their condition etc). Also make sure they use separate utensils etc and keep everything scrupulously clean. All this to prevent others from becoming infected. Might actually work better in a group with several tents, rather than in a hut. Although hut accommodation might be more comfortable for someone who is really crook. The need to evacuate them might also need to be considered.

Some might consider it a bit paranoid but we treated, or boiled, all water collected from hut tanks on the OLT. I don't think many (if any) others did but I'd rather not take the risk. I remember being in a conversation with some other walkers and one declared that you couldn't see anything in the water so it must be OK. Someone else pointed out that giardia is pretty small...

We always include immodium and stemetil in the first aid kit on all walks, just in case.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby farefam » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 8:48 pm

I've walked the overland track (and most other areas of Tasmania) for many years and have never experienced any gastro problems. To be on the safe side though I would not drink water from any source that is downstream of a hut or toilet. If at a hut then get your water from the tank or from a creek upstram from the hut.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain