Overland Track - Tent Platform size

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Overland Track - Tent Platform size

Postby Damien » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 2:27 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of the tent platforms on the Overland Track?
I have just purchased a Hilleberg Kaitum tent which is 4.2m long and i'd just like to be sure that it will fit on the platforms.

Damien
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New Zealand

Re: Overland Track - Tent Platform size

Postby tasadam » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 6:17 pm

This big... (at Kia Ora)
Attachments
overlandplatform-D2C_1516.jpg
Camp platforms at Kia Ora hut, 1st July 2007
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 6:36 pm

so what's that in metric? ;)

(nice shot, by the way - even if it is measuring in feet)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tasadam » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 6:50 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:so what's that in metric? ;)

To get the metric conversion, you have to magnify the image somewhat, like a lot. Then the image will pixellate. You can count the pixels, and as they weren't around when feet and inches were being used, must be metric :roll:

I tweaked the photo a bit to make more of a feature of the platforms, the original had the sunrise looking much better.

To answer the OP question, I've had a read of the specs on your new tent and I reckon you won't have anything to worry about when you take this new tent of yours. I'd love to see some more pics of it in use on the track, and looking forward to your mini-review when done.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby tasadam » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 7:04 pm

I can't find it on the PWS site. But I have found this...

from http://www.overlandtrack.com.au/huts/windyridge.html

Tent platforms, which are available nearby every hut, offer comfortable tent sites.
Nothing about platform size.

And

from http://www.overlandtrack.com.au/doing_mib.html
Camping
It is preferable to camp in the areas adjacent to the huts, and use the tent platforms where they are provided. These sites offer good camping spots, and using these sites helps to limit degradation. Camping platforms have either hooks or cables attached to the edges to which you attach your tents' peg loops. You can bring spare strong string in case you camp on a platform where cables are missing.

Do not camp within 30 metres of lakes and streams as these areas erode most easily.

Carry something for collecting water so as to limit the number of trips that need to be made for water (a well rinsed, empty wine cask bladder is recommended). Do not dig drains around tents. Camping is not permitted inside the Cradle Mountain day walk area.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby norts » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 8:44 am

Tasadams photo shows the group platforms at Kiaora. The group platforms are larger than the normal platforms. These arent used that frequently but if a group has a booking you arent meant to use them.
The normal platforms are all different shapes and sizes. I would think you would have no problems at this time of the year. Most users seem to prefer the hut. I like a good nights sleep so I am tent user.
Had to help a few people use the cables. Don't forget a big rock is your friend when on the platforms.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 10:04 am

Each one usually takes 2, 2 person tents with a bit of space around (to fall over ropes, gear etc)

Most have the nail in the side of the board system ( and a couple those crazy wire set ups)

As norts says, a few rocks are your friend.
We also take a few heavy duty rubber bands to extend the length of the elastic's on our fly. They work pretty well and are flexible.
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 7:12 pm

Another handy tip, we carry some builders line in our pack - the white stuff that you buy on a red roll from the hardware store. It's really strong and light weight, so it's good for all sorts of things - emergency boot lace, extending guy ropes, whatever. When we did the overland track, we "enhanced" the clothes lines in a couple of the huts.
Left the red roll at home of course, just unrolled a fair length of it and coiled it up, wrapped a rubber band around and around and around and... so it didn't get all knotted up.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby tastrax » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 7:17 pm

4.2 metres in length would be pushing it on some of the platforms, but this also depends on the tent width/shape. A dome tent of 4.2 metres diameter would be out of the question I reckon! Early platforms were about 3.6 metres by 2.4 in more remote areas but that has been expanded on the Overland.

Good luck - Phil
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain