Overland track - 6-15 May

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Overland track - 6-15 May

Postby waldgeist » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:00 am

Hello, I'm thinking about walking the Overland track at this time, from south to north including some side walks. Is it sensible to be doing this alone, provided I stick to tracks, carry the right equipment and don't do anything stupid?
waldgeist
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Overland track - 6-15 May

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:58 am

There is always an element of danger with any bushwalk, and this walk being a few days long means that you're going to be in some very remote places for a while. May can get very cold in Tasmania, and so that increases the danger even more. However, the Overland Track is a very popular route, and you are likely to see several people along the way, even in winter.

I don't know how much experience you've had with this, but I would recommend that if you're not an experienced walker, then you should stick to the main track, and not do any side trips alone unless you hook up with other walkers along the way. If you're an experienced walker, and understand Tasmania's changeable (and often severe) weather, then you may decide to take the risk of doing some of the easier side trips on your own (keeping in mind that it is a considerable risk and it's entirely up to you).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Overland track - 6-15 May

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 10:37 am

I will probably be doing the OT departing on the 7th May (with an American guy I met via our blog)

If you are not prepared properly and the weather is ordinary I will keep an eye out for you and let your family know you died happy!!!

Otherwise, might see you there. It is just a quick walk because of the guy's time constraints. Windemere, Pelion, KiaOra, Windy Ridge and out. Good excuse for me to get away from work for a week......
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain