Where's that?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Where's that?

Postby flatfoot » Sun 02 May, 2010 6:04 pm

The April-May 2010 edition of Great Walks magazine has a photo from The Overland Track on the inside-front cover.

It's a shot of two walkers commencing a steep climb through rainforest.

What is the location?

I'm looking forward to experiencing places like that on my planned walk in December.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Where's that?

Postby Erica » Mon 03 May, 2010 2:44 am

Haven't seen it, but if its actually on the track then maybe Pelion Gap, or potentially walking up Mt Oakleigh. I'm sure someone thats seen it might be able to shed a bit more light on it...
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby flatfoot » Mon 03 May, 2010 11:25 pm

Erica wrote:Haven't seen it, but if its actually on the track then maybe Pelion Gap, or potentially walking up Mt Oakleigh. I'm sure someone thats seen it might be able to shed a bit more light on it...

Thanks for giving it a try. I had tried to find the image online but it seems to be a print-only ad. Hopefully someone who knows the track has seen the ad. It's a gondwana ad with the slogan "A shell for every adventure".
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby johnw » Tue 04 May, 2010 9:00 pm

I was walking past a newsagent at lunch time today so had a quick look at the magazine. I'm 99% certain of the location in the Gondwana ad photo. The two walkers with the yellow packs are actually descending rather than climbing. It's taken on the somewhat muddy descent from Pine Forest Moor through the forest down to Frog Flats. Not thigh-gobbling mud but you'll probably sink in to the top of your boots. From FF it's then a steepish climb up to the Pelion Plains. You'll definitely see places like that and a lot more. If you like the type environment in the photo, it's worth considering the side trip to Pine Valley for a night or so, later in the walk, if it fits in with your schedule. My suggestion is to take as much time on the OLT as you can afford, don't rush it. Enjoy it. :)
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flatfoot » Wed 05 May, 2010 12:09 am

johnw wrote:I was walking past a newsagent at lunch time today so had a quick look at the magazine. I'm 99% certain of the location in the Gondwana ad photo. The two walkers with the yellow packs are actually descending rather than climbing. It's taken on the somewhat muddy descent from Pine Forest Moor through the forest down to Frog Flats. Not thigh-gobbling mud but you'll probably sink in to the top of your boots. From FF it's then a steepish climb up to the Pelion Plains. You'll definitely see places like that and a lot more. If you like the type environment in the photo, it's worth considering the side trip to Pine Valley for a night or so, later in the walk, if it fits in with your schedule. My suggestion is to take as much time on the OLT as you can afford, don't rush it. Enjoy it. :)

Thanks for taking the time to do that and for your suggestions. I was originally planning on 6 nights but I think I will change that to 7 nights to allow for a night at Pine Valley. I'm regarding this trip as a recce trip and will have opportunity for future walks (I have family in Tasmania and so I usually visit Hobart each year).
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain